Sign in to follow this  
my_left_foot

Lets cut to the Chase!

Lets cut to the chase (no pun intended)  - Ashton has gone and the investment return is a good one.

As many posters seem more concerned about the "wise investment" side of Worthy''s acquisitions, whilst Ashton has made good money, how many more of his signings are worth more now than they were when we purchased them?  I am personally more concerned about trusting Worthy with the money and how we are currently playing with those that he has brought in rather than "investment", although many posters don''t seem too bothered about this.  OK, I accept we are "little old Norwich" and will never be able to "play with the big boys" but, one thing we could always previously be recognised for (and one of the reasons we tend to attract good gates) was that we played good, attractive football i.e. good to watch.  Does anyone on this message board REALLY believe this is still the case or, indeed, believe it has been for months?

Lets look at Worthy''s recent signings. With the exception of Ashton, who else has he signed who we can really say is good enough?  Accepted Safri is a great player when he is there, but he has a history of being injured, will always get suspensions, has fitness problems (and that is even without loss through the African Nations) - ask any Coventry fan and look at his time with us so far.   Hughes, Etuhu, Colin, Charlton, Jarrett, Thorne ..................  not only poor players but not even great investments!  They must be laughing all the way to the bank each week when they pick up their pay packets.

With this track record, who can really trust Worthy with the Ashton sale money?  Would you trust him with yours? 

Yes, money is vitally important to the club.  However, this doesn''t paper over the fact that under his leadership and with HIS players, the standard and quality of our football is at its lowest since the reign of Hamilton.  Does anyone agree, or are we all happy? Is there anything we can do?

As many have said, a (big) defeat at Reading followed by a lousy performance (and/or loss) against the scum should be the final straw and see the extremely over-tolerant people of Norfolk finally rise and make their feelings known.  It is not only the results BUT more particularly the quality of football that is unacceptable.  Worthy''s time (and luck) is up - it is, at last, inevitable.  

a brilliant post that echoes my views entirely.

these signings are not investments, hughes is money for nothing, etuhu will probasbly con someone elses crap scouts with his athletic style so we may get some cash back on him.

As for the football - that is really what has pissed me off.  We got to the prem we had loads of money we should not be trying to kick our way out of this division with players like ashton available to us. we created no passing moves saturday... NONE  i could not beleive it myself. we even kicked the ball into touch from our kick offs!!!

i am just watching West Ham play good attacking passing football, I saw Wigan do it against leeds.  why have we now got a talentless team of cloggers who couldent pass if they tried, we were just in the prem for gods sake???

so i want worthy gone.   now.......

I think your underestimating the situation somewhat.Norwich have only had two or three players since 1990 that have gone on to be worth more than we got them for.For example, Chris Sutton, Craig Bellamy and now Dean Ashton. Infact although sold for a bigger sum because he cost £3million he shows how having an incredibly good youth system can benefit a team. And I think that you have to admit the first two were sold as a direct result of what the man accidentidly or not punned in your title. You could argue Ashton was a result but I don''t think the club needed the money to stay afloat.Man U make buckets on selling youngsters every year. And Worthington is starting to buy long term players.When he first came to the club the target was to get winning, get the gates up as a result and get the money coming back in.Now in three seasons he did that. Now is the time to start building a squad for a future.You are right that a lot of players signed recently have not gone on to make more than we paid but how old were many of these players? And age has a great deal to play in the value of a player.Holt cost us £100k and even the swap deal in the summer proved that he was worth that still - he certainly gave us his money worth in the first three seasons he was with us.Huckerby might not be worth more than he was a couple of seasons ago but at 27 you expect to be paying a player for an amount of money that he may never fetch again simply because they are deemed to be a matured player by then but still have the pace and ability to play good football.Worthington the board and most of the fans understood what Ashton was - and it was a very sound piece of buisiness. £3million was quite a risk but many other clubs including Arsenal had a look which means he was doing all the right things.What do you do in a managers position like that in the prem? The correct answer was to sign a striker that wanted to prove himself and work hard. A striker that if he was good would be an asset to the team as long as they were in that division. Worse case scenario is that you get relegated and then you face a fight to hold on to him for as long as you can.I also think there is more to the silence of the board than simply "hiding" it from the fans. Just think what would have happened if they had told everyone - he probably wouldnt have played the last coupld of games that he did. The last thing any club needs is its own fans increasing the rumours.At least in Colin and Etuhu we have players that could potentially be worth more. Just look at Francis - we signed him when he was 24 I think - and he was by means the finnished article. At city he added more to his game to the point where he is a capable prem player now.Interestingly Worthington has done better with his younger signings than his older ones. Current sqd:-Drury was 24 when we signed him.-Docherty was what 24/25 last season and you can not deny that he has become a much better player under Worthington.Then you have all the youngsters breaking through now. Henderson is beggining to show us what he can do - consistency is his need. Had it not been for injury I think we would have seen more Ryan Jarvis especialy with Dean out for a while back then.Now again I am NOT trying to give reasons for Worthy to stay. I think my opinion amoung many that are so addament that he is useless would not be appreciated, especially with the ease that I seem to cut through some of these arguments.I think that if Worthington does go we need to get in a successor that can give us more than Worthington has done which when you look at it is going to be tough to do. Like you rightly say with players we need to get in better than what we have and the same goes for a manager.Do you really think that we will be able to get a GREAT manager for the wages we are paying Worthington? Do you think a GREAT manager will want to come to a club where the supporters are known to whinge so much that even their chairperson has to come out of her box to tell them a thing or to?I have said it before and I will say it again - its a shame clubs cant transfer fans because if they could it would be the first thing I would do to this one! I dont remember a single criticiser being on here in the summer saying - Colin well now thats a strangly rubbish signing! Infact I remember a few sayin things like he''s reletively unknown but has caught the eye of a few clubs and for the money he had good potential.Now please someone come on here and actually prove me wrong! And I am not talking about telling me whether Worthington should be kept or not!

CONGRATULATIONS CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!

That is without any doubt the most reasoned and realistic post I have read on this message board for about four months.

Viking

Reality...... its the biggest thing on TV!   Paradise [ip]

colin has been unlucky, his confidence looks shot after being given the runaround in numerous recent matches where thaere has been no midfield cover.

I dont expect a great manager, but i wouldnt mind one who was at least minimally tactically astute...  Ady bothroyds watford bomber long balls onto simon charlton and had king and the winger (both tall) destroying him and fleming, so much danger came from that side. Ady has a weakish team so they are well organised and hooffed it like we do. 

When do we ever do something like that???  NEVER  we give it to hucks and hope he can create something EVERY time.

Mike Newells Luton play football and almost gave liverpool a run for their money, look at how well preston did on no budget. This shows how underacheiving a side we now are.

Yes I thank worthy for all the good that he has done for this club, but he has reached the limit of what a limited workrate manager can do.  It is now time for someone to take us forwards again.