Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

Safely safely

I feel its about time that I had a rant!

I spent close to 5 years as a talent scout for the academy before giving it up this year.  In that time I spent nearly every sunday morning watching the local kids in all weather conditions for the sake of the club, as well as mid week training and assessing slots at the academy. This I done voluntarily due to my love of the club. 

The reason that I packed it up was mainly due to the direction that the club as a whole is taking.  But I am not the only one.  Only last week another ex-scout wrote a letter to the EDP slating the club for much the same reasons. We are sad to see the great work that the fans and others have done being undone by this comfort zone. 

Last seasons under 9''s were the most successful in the academy''s history, guided brilliantly by Abbo and Cameran.  But the club got shot of these great coaches so that they could appoint a couple of ''the old boys''!

Its not just the academy though.  The club as a whole put a spin on everything.  Doncaster keeps the facts so close to his chest all the time, only releasing dribbles of info as and when the pressure is mounting, but until that point, makes out that everything is rosey! Then comes out with cap in hand. I just wish that the fans would do the maths and ask the question. 

The academy is a great thing when the people there are doing it for the right reasons!  People like Colin Watts who has been there since word go have the interests of the kids at the fore front.  Not only that, but the standard of kids football is getting better all the time.

The main point of my rant was not to have a go just at the academy, but the club in general.  The maths that I speak of is stuff like parachute payments, N&P cheques, season tickets, catering...............but Delia had to bail us out for £50K? Hmmmmm

i just saw 20 year old anton ferdinand score a wonder goal for West Ham, our youngsters never get the opportunity while worthy is manager.

young rossi jarvis gets a game at right back and 2 sub appearances during the biggest midfield crisis i have seen, and etuhu whom did the least i have ever seen from a player supposedly looking to impress during his loan spell.  I would play Rossi EVERY week ahead of a lazy unmotivated player who doesnt look like he wants to play Professional Football!! for anyone let alone us.

The Academy is non-existant anyway. If i was Rossi Jarvis i would have never signed a pro contract with us simply because of what happens to them. Currently at Norwich City talented youngsters are overlooked by uncommited useless tosh that call themselves pros. The Danny Crow situation is the biggest example of what i have said. He even made 3 premiership appearances if i remember rightly before he was realeased. I can actually imagine him becoming a big star for the future and us signing him back for a few quid!

When I''ve seen Rossi and Ryan play for the reserves, they''ve looked lazy and unmotivated, Paul, and that worries me more than older pro''s who are lazy and unmotivated. This is why I keep saying that there''s a deeper problem than just the manager - it''s been growing within the Club IMO for 10 years or so. "Comfort zone" is a good description. I''d love to see Spillane get a good go in the first team, because I don''t think it''s got to him yet. It won''t happen though.

Old Boy, how would you feel if you kept performing well and yet when an injury crisis arrives you are still not selected whilst the club brings in players (and later buys them) who demonstrate neither motivation nor skill. NW has made many ''man-management'' mistakes and his treatment of young home-grown players is one of them.

West Ham? Rio Ferdinand, Anton Ferdinand, Michael Carrack, Glen Johnson, Jermaine Defoe, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, (John Terry was released from WHU!)...need I say more?