Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Dominated the game ?

We had plenty of possession and did get into several dangerous situations, and probably deserved the equaliser before half time, on balance we were the better team in the first half.Ā Ā Second half we offered nothing and it was comfortable for Watford, even with 10 men

We did in terms of slow build up play, moving the ball along the back four and occasionally down the left threatened their defence, ultimately you can have 60 odd % of possession but if you are a goal down move the ball so slowly you wonā€™t score.

Its very much like Farkeā€™s first season, keeping possession without looking too threatening and conceding soft goals.

• Like 1

Having possession is not dominating a game, it is worrying that the players think they dominated the match. We have seen time and time again that teams in this leagueĀ playing away from homeĀ are happy to drop off into shape and allow the opposition to have possession and try and counter attack, for all of our posession Watford were comfortable and were happy to just let us build the play slowly in front of them.Ā  So well done lads you has more possession against a side that were happy to let you have the ball šŸ˜

Edited by Alex

On balance we were the better side so no issues with what hes saying. After that suicidal start we actually done well to recover. But give away cheap goals like that and you'll never win.Ā 

But no issues with saying we were the better side.

We should have been the better side, we were playing at home against the worst side in the league. Perhaps marginally we played the better alround football but created very little. There are absolutely no positives to take from that performance.

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

On balance we were the better side so no issues with what hes saying. After that suicidal start we actually done well to recover. But give away cheap goals like that and you'll never win.Ā 

But no issues with saying we were the better side.

I'm not sure we were the better side. We got into some nice positions but struggled to create chances that weren't long range pot shots. Xg shows 0.62 for us Vs 1.36 for Watford.

We had more of the ball but they used it a lot better.

• Like 1

Never in a million years were we the better side. They let us have the ball in non threatening areas and time and again we came forward andĀ failed to create a decent chance. In contrast practically every time WatfordĀ countered they could have had it in the net. Against better finishingĀ weā€™d have been on the end of another thrashing.

I will say it until I am blue in the face. Our final pass or cross is very poor and I am positive is the reason we are in this mess.

As good as Onel can be and was at times last night, he vary rarely had the killer ball in. But to be fair to him, his targets were limited.

I thought first half we were OK and at times exciting. But as has been said second half was very much 2017/18.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We should have been the better side, we were playing at home against the worst side in the league. Perhaps marginally we played the better alround football but created very little. There are absolutely no positives to take from that performance.

To be honest I am not that sure Watford are the worst side in the league, admittedlyĀ they have hadĀ a really bad start to the season but they have some quality players. They basicallyĀ have the same team that challenged for a Europa spot and reached the FA Cup Final last season.Ā  I didn't think they were particularly great last night but I wouldn't say we were better they allowed us to have the ball andĀ  were more organised tha we were, for all our possession they probably created the better chances and it showed that they have more premier league experience.Ā 

Edited by Alex

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I will say it until I am blue in the face. Our final pass or cross is very poor and I am positive is the reason we are in this mess.

As good as Onel can be and was at times last night, he vary rarely had the killer ball in. But to be fair to him, his targets were limited.

I thought first half we were OK and at times exciting. But as has been said second half was very much 2017/18.

Some of Onel's crosses are hit harder than his shots on goal! There was one which I think went straight for a throw in without bouncing.

Wishing we were Sheffield Utd could be my favourite post as everybody tries to outdoom each other but last night someone wanted to support a club that challenges for silverware....

Ā 

skysports-tim-krul-norwich-city_4660729.thumb.jpg.de4d6b93b38048c7a4c8797fe2678362.jpg

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

No. Do you?

Always been proud to be a Canary...

Ā Certainly not but I have to hand it to Chris Wilder and his players as they have made the step up to date so much better than Villa and us.

1 minute ago, Crafty Canary said:

Ā Certainly not but I have to hand it to Chris Wilder and his players as they have made the step up to date so much better than Villa and us.

The best place to do that is the Blades forum though...

By saying that we dominated the game, what our players actually mean is that we had more possession, which we did.

They seem to have been brainwashed into believing that possession is everything. It isn't.

There is no point in dominating the possession if (a) you don't do anything with that possession (which we don't) or (b) eventually run into a dead end and gift possession, and easy chances, to the opposition (which we do)

The whole squad is obsessed with possession so much so that they (particularly Aarons & Lewis) are quite happy to get as far as the opposing penalty area, turn round, go back and pass the ball all the way back into our half.

It is happening far too often.

Great for the possession stats but contributes absolutely nothing in creating goal scoring chances.

We need to be more direct.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

The best place to do that is the Blades forum though...

Not really. This forum is the right place for a comparison with ourselves Iā€™d have thought.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Not really. This forum is the right place for a comparison with ourselves Iā€™d have thought.

So do you think anyone does wish we were Sheffield Utd?

Edited by nutty nigel

Crafty, if we were to be Sheffield Utd we would have to have been them last season. I thought they were the strongest side in the champs last season and I thought we played the best football. Over the 46 games we came out on top and have the silverware to prove it.

Both teams have taken their identity on to the PL this season and it's worked out better for them. But we don't have the players to mimic them. Our players suit the way we play.Ā 

I suspect some do wish we were them. I think a lot of fans don't like the way we play. The only time it hasn't been criticised was when we were winning most weeks and even then some fans around me got frustrated by "tippy tappy".

Ā 

12 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure we were the better side. We got into some nice positions but struggled to create chances that weren't long range pot shots. Xg shows 0.62 for us Vs 1.36 for Watford.

We had more of the ball but they used it a lot better.

Ā 

12 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Did anyone of a Norwich persuasion genuinely believe after the game that we deserved to win it?

Anyone who says yes didn't watch the match.

Ā 

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Agree with all of the above.

KG, interesting you say this. I have started to think for a little while now that maybe our biggest ā€œmistakeā€ (if you want to call it that) in the summer transfer window was not bringing in a tricky attacking midfielder. We were always going to concede goals, but our philosophy over the last year or so has effectively been to outscore the opposition. In this division, we are a bit one dimensional. If you nullify Aarons and Lewis getting forward, we donā€™t seem to have a lot.

There was one spell last night where we had possession on the left and it kept going up and down the left wing, and on four occasions I was shouting out for someone to have moved into ā€œthe holeā€ between Watfordā€™s midfield and defence more centrally. Nobody ever did and play broke down eventually. At times we seemed to be playing a flat attacking four with six behind. Nobody gets on the ball in the middle and dictates. This means the defence end up having to play it amongst themselves and we then shift it down the line.Ā 
Ā 

Stiepermann has value in his height and strength, but isnā€™t creative. Buendia has flattered to deceive, and the rest arenā€™t technically tricky enough to sit in behind Pukki.

That tricky player would have been expensive, but maybe in January if we can identify a youngster who can do it then we ought to consider it. Might not be enough to keep us up, but would be a good investment for next year anyway.

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Ā 

Ā 

Agree with all of the above.

KG, interesting you say this. I have started to think for a little while now that maybe our biggest ā€œmistakeā€ (if you want to call it that) in the summer transfer window was not bringing in a tricky attacking midfielder. We were always going to concede goals, but our philosophy over the last year or so has effectively been to outscore the opposition. In this division, we are a bit one dimensional. If you nullify Aarons and Lewis getting forward, we donā€™t seem to have a lot.

There was one spell last night where we had possession on the left and it kept going up and down the left wing, and on four occasions I was shouting out for someone to have moved into ā€œthe holeā€ between Watfordā€™s midfield and defence more centrally. Nobody ever did and play broke down eventually. At times we seemed to be playing a flat attacking four with six behind. Nobody gets on the ball in the middle and dictates. This means the defence end up having to play it amongst themselves and we then shift it down the line.Ā 
Ā 

Stiepermann has value in his height and strength, but isnā€™t creative. Buendia has flattered to deceive, and the rest arenā€™t technically tricky enough to sit in behind Pukki.

That tricky player would have been expensive, but maybe in January if we can identify a youngster who can do it then we ought to consider it. Might not be enough to keep us up, but would be a good investment for next year anyway.

If we wouldnā€™t spend even a modest amount in the summer what makes you think we might in January ? More likely to sell Iā€™d imagine .Ā 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Crafty, if we were to be Sheffield Utd we would have to have been them last season. I thought they were the strongest side in the champs last season and I thought we played the best football. Over the 46 games we came out on top and have the silverware to prove it.

Both teams have taken their identity on to the PL this season and it's worked out better for them. But we don't have the players to mimic them. Our players suit the way we play.Ā 

I suspect some do wish we were them. I think a lot of fans don't like the way we play. The only time it hasn't been criticised was when we were winning most weeks and even then some fans around me got frustrated by "tippy tappy".

Ā 

Nutty, I agree we played the best football in the Championship last season and the Blades were strong and, unlike Leeds, didnā€™t choke at the tail end of the season.Ā 
Where I feel they have the advantage over us is they are able to play in a variety of waysĀ depending on their opponents whereas we have plan A only. When we are on top of out game we can outscoreĀ other teams and the football is wonderful to watch however the Blades more pragmatic approach means they concede less and so stay in games better and can pick up points even when they might not play particularly well.

Either way we are Canary fans and for better or poorer always will be.