Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Some hope in the aftermath

They say life is short, but not all is lost (with my pragmatic head on)

For example, every game starts at 0-0 and gives us an opportunity to win a game. Also there is till a very long way to go. We are only down when mathmatically we are down. BUT....

Once the international break comes, there's a good chance Zimmermann may be back, which may just give us more solidity in defence (I stress may) and ditch our temporary defenders. Even Hanley gives another backstop for.

That releases both Amadou and Tettey in midfield which could just transform how we play. Much rests on Amadou being as good in a cdm role that we all hope for, yet haven't had the chance to see. Options for Tettey/Amadou for real beef, Amadou with Leitner/Mclean/Vrancic also sound more hopeful. And Vrancic is finally back. With a strong defensive midfielder next to him, his vision and passing and goals from distant/set pieces may be a real asset 

And I'm surprised to hear myself say it but Cantwell seems one of our most creative talents up front. Hernandez looked good last night and is only just getting back from injury. Something has to happen with Buendia, he really is wasting such an incredible opportunity, and Stieperman being our only real physical threat hasn't found the right gear yet.

The real concern is so much rests with Pukki, but perhaps what I'm trying to say, despite our horrific injuries and start to the season, is with a few players returning, we might just get a chance to see 12/13 games in our best line up, our strongest line up (who are yet to play together) and this might just change our formation and start to trouble some teams.

Hope is a big thing. We also edge nearer to Jan when some reinforcements might be brought in, but such changes might just help us grind out some results, which gives confidence and might just take us upwards. 

Footballs a funny old game. We're bottom and at worst we stay there. But we have players returning and every game is in itself a chance to  improve, and perhaps start to surprise a few teams

• Like 2

Great post, my thoughts exactly. Lets try to be positive and hope we can turn things around. Up the Yellas!!

What players returning, that apart from Zimbo is the best squad he can put out 

10 minutes ago, daly said:

What players returning, that apart from Zimbo is the best squad he can put out 

A fully fit Amadou may also make a big difference. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

A fully fit Amadou may also make a big difference. 

If we play him in midfield.

Our midfield is too weak and uncompetitive (even Stiepermann at times who’s not a little lad) and this leads to our defence being woefully exposed.

Amadou would definitely add some bite.

Unfortunately from where I sat Drmic was limping badly so if the rumours about Leitner and Roberts are true we're running out of offensive options.

2 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

If we play him in midfield.

Our midfield is too weak and uncompetitive (even Stiepermann at times who’s not a little lad) and this leads to our defence being woefully exposed.

Amadou would definitely add some bite.

Though having been clearly important to us and how we play previously, I still have massive questions about Marco's ability at this level. Frankly there were a couple of times last season he left me rather frustrated, flashes of the future at a higher level (however his overall contribution was incredible, obviously). I like him, and I dont really get the whole scapegoat culture, it isn't for me, this is just an observation that worries me.

But I echo the OP here, I checked the league table last night, and it turns out we didn't get automatically relegated in November. I was shocked, I found myself thinking 'I wish this were a game where anything can happen, fortunes can change and things aren't set in stone'.

If only.

Edited by Flying Dutchman