Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Wrong Formation

Firstly, I’m not one of those currently overreacting, “Farke out”, “Delia out”, “we should have spent enough to stay up but not too much to cripple ourselves financially like last time when we got relegated anyway”

But...

What was going on with our starting formation?? 

I sit on the halfway line and every time I looked out at a goal kick, we had Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Tettey and Trybull in our half and every other play about 30 yards further up field offering absolutely no support whatsoever. So when the ball did come out wide to Aarons or Lewis they had little option but to go back to a CB, inside to Trybull (more often than not marked out of the game by their high press) or play a longish ambitious ball forward to Buendia/Stiepermann/Onel.

I know we are an attacking team, especially at home but this was simply not working and nothing changed. I have rarely doubted or questioned Farke but why are we not playing with 2 sitting in midfield?? It was the basis for our success last season, a season in which we conceded a lot of goals yet for some reason we now think we can do away with one and just play Trybull as the only protection to an already fractious defence.

For the first half in particular this was the reason for both looking poor at the back and ineffective going forward. One mistake, not enough protection and bang, goal. Watford continued a high press and we couldn’t get through without a worldly of a pass or a bit of luck, not enough options. 

I don’t question the commitment or desire of the players, that was there. I think Farke simply got the formation and team selection wrong and the PL has figured us out. Teams press us high and panic us into mistakes they know will happen and all too often have then resulted in goals. Because of this our passing has looked very average at times and players are making more mistakes than last season. 

Watford are a poor side and we made some good chances, chances we must take if we’re going to pull ourselves out of this slide back to the championship.

Hope isn’t lost but we have to learn from mistakes, have an effective plan B if we’re being pressed out of the game and play a formation suited to our style of play and the players we have. 

13 minutes ago, Havefaith said:

Watford were bigger and stronger, simple. 

We lost it at the pre match weigh in and tug of war.

Gifting away an early goal in majority of games is crippling us, as heads drops and confidence ebbs away.

So many silly goals last season and nothing learnt from it. We are our own worst enemies at the moment