HertsCanary93

When will the media start asking the club the right questions?

I can't fathom how the club have managed to convince the local media that the pitiful 750k investment in our squad is justifiable on a premier league income. 

Every time it is alluded to in interviews, there is some babble about "doing things the right way", "the model" and "silly money" - as if there is no middle ground between £750k and £100m. The media seem to eat it up. There are clubs in league 1 who have invested more than this in the playing staff. 

Webber loves to patronise fans and journalists alike with his "people don't realise that we are paid transfer fees and TV money over a period of time". Everyone knows this, but no one has the balls to remind him that we are paying for players over a period of time too. 

What we are left with is a young squad who have had any confidence absolutely lashed out of them. If we get relegated, the group will be demoralised and the best talent plucked off by ambitious prem teams. We will be further backwards than we were last year.

It upsets me to see the young, great players from last season hung out to dry. It is not good for their development and it is not good for the club. The players have been let down by the club not giving them the support they need to compete. 

Why are Farke or Webber sticking with the club? On the cusp of something great, after a magnificent championship season, the lack of investment and support by the ownership is an embarrassment!

DS & MWJ time to go

I'm no fan of our strategy this summer but can we knock this 'we spent £750k' thing on the head. The accounts show we spent just under £7m. It's still a pitiful amount at this level but over exaggeration of how little we spent just undermines the point.

2 minutes ago, Cliff the Canary said:

Why are Farke or Webber sticking with the club? On the cusp of something great, after a magnificent championship season, the lack of investment and support by the ownership is an embarrassment!

DS & MWJ time to go

Webber won't be staying st the club, he stated that himself when signing his recent three year contract. He will go before that with a pay off just like those before him! And when he goes so will Farke. Think Huddersfield whose own model we seem to have been following! 

I have to confess at being confused about some of the financial decisions made in the summer  - repaying the £5m bond was a choice we didn’t have to make, and whilst it is a drop in the ocean in terms of transfer fees, it is £5m that could/should have been spent on the playing squad.  

I suppose we're always going to get threads like this, there always is as soon as anything goes wrong, but the problem isn't the owners - it's the players on the pitch who need to learn and improve.  They are good players and will have learn from these last few weeks and then we will improve - if they don't one or two will fall by the wayside.  And Farke has proved he's here for the long term and will stick by us....we are still the same club as last season, it's just that the challenge is bigger and we need to learn how to rise to it.

Money does not buy you success....ask Fulham and a myriad of other clubs trying to get out of the championship with lots of money and struggling even to stay in that league.

The bigger picture stands, it's a bit wobbly at the moment, but that will pass and we will get stronger and better. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

And Farke has proved he's here for the long term and will stick by us

Errm, has he?

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Farke wont jump, nor will Webber. Certainly not this season. Think that's pretty clear.

Well to be honest I don't see a huge queue of people wanting to take Farke right now- not because he's bad but because managers of teams bottom of the league aren't often on huge demand.

You do have to wonder how long he'll fancy sticking around for though- if we get relegated with ease his stock will have fallen significantly despite the fact it won't really be his fault.

LDC, it has nothing to do with things going right or wrong.  I’ve said much the same  since we were promoted that we had to improve the squad, unfortunately I can’t say that we did.

We did sign 5 players in the summer...albeit with only a 750k outlay.  ...also 3 loans and a free transfer.... worryingly however none of them started , 4 on the bench and a 5th in Roberts who's situation is now at the point where it demands explanation

I think to be fair we got promoted far too soon, far sooner than the infrastructure predicted. We’re here on merit threadbare n all. It hurts like fk, however we have to think we’re here having started again more or less from scratch. Though I appreciate it doesn’t resolve fans’ disappointment going to games to see losses, overall the club is building stronger to a positive future than it was before. I’m struggling to see positives right now but also, considering context, Farke and the boys are completely inexperienced in one of the most unforgiving football leagues in the world. We will compete and it will happen at some point. It doesn’t end with Webber and Farke, they’re merely the being and foundation of a club that prior, was overspending and heading rapidly to being outmoded. 

It's getting boring now, what is the point of getting promotion if we are just going to p!ss the opportunity down the drain each time we do? A question for the owners that, who seem to always play things so cautiously that anyone would think we are constantly on the verge of going out of business. How many clubs go bust?! We have spent 5 of the last 10 years in the Prem and look no better or stronger for it. What good is getting promotion if we are just going to embarrass ourselves each time rather than give ourselves a fighting chance of staying up?

Edited by alex_ncfc
  • Like 1

I don’t think the owners are bothered about Premier League football. As long as the club is afloat I think that’s good enough for them. As fans we have to accept we are a yo-yo team as frustrating as it is. 

The owners are just concerned that if we did spend and it went wrong, they’d actually have to sell the club to someone with some money and some **** to actually push us to the next level. As long as They play it safe Delia gets to play with her train set, it’s just that “safe” means never competing at the top level.

• Like 2

Webber has already said he is ****ing off in 3 years time so that says it all really. He's just in it for himself and discovering the next 'project' whereas I'll spend a lifetime supporting City.

What will we do with the parachute payments if/when relegated?

Parachute payments were brought in to help relagated teams stay solvent when forking out silly wages in the prem, that they can no longer afford to pay when relegated. 

Obviously we haven't spent much money or dished out any obsecene wages so will we see a little investment then? 

I didn't want to see huge amount of monies spent, but some investment was required to be competitive.  Move or die. 

It's like a mate who agrees to go for a pint but declares he's skint when its his round. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm no fan of our strategy this summer but can we knock this 'we spent £750k' thing on the head. The accounts show we spent just under £7m. It's still a pitiful amount at this level but over exaggeration of how little we spent just undermines the point.

The accounts are for the period 1st July 2018 to 30th June 2019 so we did not spend £7m this summer kc.

21 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The accounts are for the period 1st July 2018 to 30th June 2019 so we did not spend £7m this summer kc.

On 05/11/2019 at 16:12, PurpleCanary said:

A few more figures. The club will have to pay out up to £30m depending on various conditions (presumably staying in the PL etc etc) being met. The summer spend was £6.7m, with a potential extra £4.7m.

This is how I interpreted this post from Purple. Could be wrong though.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

This is how I interpreted this post from Purple. Could be wrong though.

I must have mistyped that figure if I said £6.7m. Senility growing apace. The amount for the definite spend was £6.2m, plus a potential £4.7m. It is normally the case that most summer spending for clubs falls into the post-balance sheet section, since contracts run I think from July 1st. With us this season I don't see any transfer spending that would have taken place before then, though there might have been some.

The more general point, made before, is that much of the significant transfer activity in the summer was aimed at providing the next generation of young talent to bring into the squad not for this season but for the next or the one after, to keep the self-financing model going. The likes of Adshead, Bushiri and Muir.

9 hours ago, king canary said:

750k spent on assets for the first team squad (Byram) as we are being humiliated week in, week out I’d imagine the first team squad is what’s important here. The loan fees are not assets to the club and at the moment are looking like wasted money as only one player is making the starting 11. It’s woefully inadequate.

36 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I must have mistyped that figure if I said £6.7m. Senility growing apace. The amount for the definite spend was £6.2m, plus a potential £4.7m. It is normally the case that most summer spending for clubs falls into the post-balance sheet section, since contracts run I think from July 1st. With us this season I don't see any transfer spending that would have taken place before then, though there might have been some.

The more general point, made before, is that much of the significant transfer activity in the summer was aimed at providing the next generation of young talent to bring into the squad not for this season but for the next or the one after, to keep the self-financing model going. The likes of Adshead, Bushiri and Muir.

So am I right in saying that figure is for this season's transfers?

2 minutes ago, JF said:

750k spent on assets for the first team squad (Byram) as we are being humiliated week in, week out I’d imagine the first team squad is what’s important here. The loan fees are not assets to the club and at the moment are looking like wasted money as only one player is making the starting 11. It’s woefully inadequate.

I agree it's inadequate bit again we didn't spend just £750k on the first team squad. Fahrmann and Amadou both had reasonably significant loan fees attached according to reports.

Just now, king canary said:

I agree it's inadequate bit again we didn't spend just £750k on the first team squad. Fahrmann and Amadou both had reasonably significant loan fees attached according to reports.

Yes I know, hence why I said 750k spent on assets to the first team squad. 

9 hours ago, king canary said:

Well to be honest I don't see a huge queue of people wanting to take Farke right now- not because he's bad but because managers of teams bottom of the league aren't often on huge demand.

You do have to wonder how long he'll fancy sticking around for though- if we get relegated with ease his stock will have fallen significantly despite the fact it won't really be his fault.

It’s not really his fault but his flaws are being badly exposed. The level of coaching of our defence and how utterly pathetic we are at both attacking she defending set pieces are things a coach at this level could and should address if you want to give yourself a genuine chance as a smaller club. 

30 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s not really his fault but his flaws are being badly exposed. The level of coaching of our defence and how utterly pathetic we are at both attacking she defending set pieces are things a coach at this level could and should address if you want to give yourself a genuine chance as a smaller club. 

Agreed Jim. Farke has shown some quality during his time here, but has also overseen some poor runs of form and results. I do rate Farke (obviously), but he is by no means proven or established yet. Certainly not at this level. Farke would struggle to get a job at a top championship club currently IMO. 

Yes he can only work with what he has. But the truth is he continually demonstrates a lack of willingness to work with his full array of resource, almost with arrogance, which is hidden very well by the way. Patrick Roberts based on his Celtic form should be playing. Sam Byram should also be playing, either take Aarons out of the firing line or tried at CB. At CB I'm more than confident he is better and more adaptable than an aging Tettey. He's probably our most defensive minded defender. Excellent against Man City, surely he deserved a run in the team?

His use of Leitner is equally as hard to understand. Leitner is a deep lying playmaker.  He is one of the few players in our squad that has premier league class in his locker, albeit occasionally. He demonstrated against Newcastle what he can do, surely Farke should be working with that and trying to embellish some consistency? I appreciate he played a couple of games in the deep lying role, but next to Mclean, which was never going work, before being shoe horned into an advanced role which clearly doesn't suit his style. His our playmaker, tempo setter, and needs to play deep next to a powerful defensive minded midfield player. Which is hopefully Amadou. Is that it for Leitner now? I wouldn't bet against it. 

It's just all very perplexing and hard to grasp Farke's logic currently. Its very concerning and I'm anxious the likes of Buendia and Pukki are becoming frustrated and fed up with it. 

Edited by Il Pirata