Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Self inflicted defeat

There have been several this season, but that was the most self-inflicted I have seen.  Game not even two minutes old and a midfielder happily tries to be cute with the team on the defensive and bang, one nil, team on the back foot and the struggle is much worse almost from the start. When are the players going to learn?

It's not just Buendia, because it has been other players in other games, but this has got to stop.  Mentally, some players are not yet handling being in the premier league - they are doing stuff to look good rather than what is right for the team.  Free kicks, pretty awful, corners not much better, the final pass given at the wrong time in the wrong place. 

Players standing around when we have the ball while opposition players are defending on the front foot darting around at speed making us look slow and ponderous. I'm sure some of it is confidence, but nothing is going right at the moment. Two weeks to get Mario totally fit because he was a breath of fresh air when he came on and able to show a bit of composure.

We are giving the ball away a ridiculous amount, it is really totally and utterly unacceptable - we do have good players, but some of them need imo to be given a good metaphorical kick up the backside.  I'm still positive we can improve and that things can change for the better and see us firing on all cylinders again, but we are at the moment pretty much rock bottom mentally as well as in the league. 

This two week break needs to be spent sorting out the minds of the players.  Cut out the fancy stuff, it isn't working and all that happens is we give the ball away, keep on the front foot at all times whether defending or attacking and try and get rid of anxiety and tension in the play. We have lost our focus and composure, farkeball has all but disappeared......and we need it back.

• Like 1

Nothing self inflicted about the second goal, we just weren’t good enough. We won’t stop making mistakes for the same reason.

If by self inflicted you mean that we’ve woefully sold our manager short by giving him the worst backing for a newly promoted club in PL history, then yes it is self inflicted 

• Like 1

I honestly thought we'd stay up this season. Now I know it's still early days, but with performances like that we are nailed on to go down. No tackling, no urgency, sluggish predictable football. I can't see where the next points are coming from.

• Like 2

Everyone criticises the defense but they aren't really given a chance with a midfield and attack that constantly gives the ball away and frequently in dangerous positions. 

For the last 5 or 6 games, every single time we've got ourselves in a promising position it's either been a stray pass or dithering on the ball until possession is lost. 

Never seen anything like it. 

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There have been several this season, but that was the most self-inflicted I have seen.  Game not even two minutes old and a midfielder happily tries to be cute with the team on the defensive and bang, one nil, team on the back foot and the struggle is much worse almost from the start. When are the players going to learn?

It's not just Buendia, because it has been other players in other games, but this has got to stop.  Mentally, some players are not yet handling being in the premier league - they are doing stuff to look good rather than what is right for the team.  Free kicks, pretty awful, corners not much better, the final pass given at the wrong time in the wrong place. 

Players standing around when we have the ball while opposition players are defending on the front foot darting around at speed making us look slow and ponderous. I'm sure some of it is confidence, but nothing is going right at the moment. Two weeks to get Mario totally fit because he was a breath of fresh air when he came on and able to show a bit of composure.

We are giving the ball away a ridiculous amount, it is really totally and utterly unacceptable - we do have good players, but some of them need imo to be given a good metaphorical kick up the backside.  I'm still positive we can improve and that things can change for the better and see us firing on all cylinders again, but we are at the moment pretty much rock bottom mentally as well as in the league. 

This two week break needs to be spent sorting out the minds of the players.  Cut out the fancy stuff, it isn't working and all that happens is we give the ball away, keep on the front foot at all times whether defending or attacking and try and get rid of anxiety and tension in the play. We have lost our focus and composure, farkeball has all but disappeared......and we need it back.

It hasn’t really changed all that much, we were trying the clever stuff last season but when it didn’t come off we weren’t being punished like we are this season.

You can't win a football match without scoring goals and we could have played until tomorrow afternoon without scoring. We're going to concede goals in this league, we conceded a lot last season, but we scored enough so it didn't matter. Now the goals have dried up we're just going backwards. Farke has his first big test to turn this form around after the international break

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

I wonder if some of the early praise for some of our players and links with bigger clubs has resulted in some thinking they are better than they are. What is certain is that their value is falling if they dont buck up and show they really are premier league quality. Too little thought or composure.

As to our corners....  I think they are far more dangerous to us than to the opposition! Good chance for fast break.

2 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Everyone criticises the defense but they aren't really given a chance with a midfield and attack that constantly gives the ball away and frequently in dangerous positions. 

For the last 5 or 6 games, every single time we've got ourselves in a promising position it's either been a stray pass or divering on the ball until possession is list. 

Never seen anything like it. 

Spot on

.. and then we are punished.

Just now, First Wazzock said:

I honestly thought we'd stay up this season. Now I know it's still early days, but with performances like that we are nailed on to go down. No tackling, no urgency, sluggish predictable football. I can't see where the next points are coming from.

I unfortunately now feel the same. Yes we’ve been unlucky with injuries but the sheer lack of quality in our all round play is the thing that worries me. Our lack of quality final ball and our complete inability to muster anything from set plays was there for all to see tonight. We’ve gone from playing incisive, attacking football and creating lots of quality chances to looking utterly toothless.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

As to our corners....  I think they are far more dangerous to us than to the opposition! Good chance for fast break.

The delivery has been awful anyway recently, but given our lack of aerial presence, why do we even bother playing high crosses from corners? We'd be better off playing short corners and keeping the ball on the deck.

I agree with lake disrict, confidence at rock bottom ,too much pretty football,keep waiting for us to find the form we had v man city but really cant see us improving who ever is in the team 

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So those players you were besting on about yesterday as being worth lots of money actually aren't!

I mean in terms of suicidal things to do against a team who are rock bottom is to gift them a goal in the first minute. Alarmingly poor from Buendia to lose it but what on earth Trybull was doing allowing so much space after that for the shot I have no idea.

Awful start to the game. Thought we played alright after that but lacked that extra little bit in the final third. Thought Stiepermann should have stayed on.

Strange that the players I thought could step up have not.Tonight was not good seems like confidence is shot but we all knew that the players that took us up would be given a chance and most of us thought that was the right thing to do.Its not working but for those who keep on about not spending in the summer how much would have been enough we went down that route before and still got relegated.Perhaps we should cash in on one or two of our starlets as they are not pulling up any trees ar the moment.

2 minutes ago, clever trevor said:

Strange that the players I thought could step up have not.Tonight was not good seems like confidence is shot but we all knew that the players that took us up would be given a chance and most of us thought that was the right thing to do.Its not working but for those who keep on about not spending in the summer how much would have been enough we went down that route before and still got relegated.Perhaps we should cash in on one or two of our starlets as they are not pulling up any trees ar the moment.

To be honest CT I think that is inevitable come January. I would imagine the agents for the likes of Aaron's, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell are sounding out other prem clubs already. All have been called up before for international duty, and being bottom of the prem won't help their credibility longer term. I fancy the 'self funding' model will see them all touted with January  moves away, along with the likes of Krul and Hernandez.

7 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

To be honest CT I think that is inevitable come January. I would imagine the agents for the likes of Aaron's, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell are sounding out other prem clubs already. All have been called up before for international duty, and being bottom of the prem won't help their credibility longer term. I fancy the 'self funding' model will see them all touted with January  moves away, along with the likes of Krul and Hernandez.

I don't see any of these players leaving in January. 

Based on this evenings performance, I don't see any prem club looking at Cantwell in January or after. 

Christ if LDC is negative then we really must be in **** street. Buendia was shocking and has been all season. I really don't know how we go from here if Farke cannot pick the right team.

Put David Price in a boxing ring with Deontey Wilder and no matter how many mistakes Price appears to make (probably just the one, in the first round, because that would be the end of the fight), it wouldn't ever be a self-inflicted defeat... it would just be a world class fighter in the ring with a British level fighter.

Its too much to ask for this team to win on any given week in this league, because we just can't match the levels bar the odd freak result. 

The level of expectation that you have is unrealistic, you need a reality check.