Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Paul McVeigh, almost over before it begun

I've just seen this posted by Paul McVeigh on LinkedIn...

"Fact: This is the game that saved my Norwich City Football Club career. Not many people know that Nigel Worthington had told me that “I didn’t have what it takes to be a Norwich city footballer” and that I was surplus to requirements and officially released me 3 days before this match against Watford FC on 27th January 2001. I was devastated and my career felt over before it had even begun. I was due to join Bury FC on trial the following Monday. Due to a number injuries in the squad, I was told to be on the bench to make up the numbers but amazingly with 22 minutes to go and 0-1 down Worthy told me to get ready to come on. So I entered the pitch and had, probably, the most impact that I’ve ever contributed coming off the bench and helped us to a 2-1 win in the dying seconds! 9 years later, 2 league titles, top scorer, a Championship play off final appearance, 300 games and 40 goals and a member of The Norwich City Hall of Fame probably goes to show that your life will be less impacted by about what other people think of you and much more about how strong your desire is to achieve your goal. Keep the faith, trust your process and never, ever let anyone tell you that you don’t have what it takes."

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6598518725081653249/

Not sure if the link will work, but the words accompany video highlights of the game.

I didn't realise how close he was to leaving us. Everyone knew there was animosity between WLY and Worthington (I heard on good authority that McVeigh hosted a party that a few players attended after Worthy's sacking), didn't realise it emerged that early in his Norwich career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

" your life will be less impacted by about what other people think of you and much more about how strong your desire is to achieve your goal. Keep the faith, trust your process and never, ever let anyone tell you that you don’t have what it takes." "

amen to that

• Like 2

Intersting post. I genuinely belive that Worthy had a problem with size, it was reflected in the academy during the Worthy era where smaller lads seemed to be released based more on size, or lack of it, than ability.

Paul has great mental strength, would highly recommend his book "The Stupid Footballer is Dead"

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Intersting post. I genuinely belive that Worthy had a problem with size, it was reflected in the academy during the Worthy era where smaller lads seemed to be released based more on size, or lack of it, than ability.

Paul has great mental strength, would highly recommend his book "The Stupid Footballer is Dead"

Met him in a City pub and had a wee social chat with him......Top Man......

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Met him in a City pub and had a wee social chat with him......Top Man......

On the shorts was he?

Nice to see that some players thrive on proving everyone wrong, Spurs them on.

Never met Paul, but I’ve had the pleasure of chatting with many ex players and all have time for a chat, remember bumping into Fleming at a petrol station while he was at Lowestoft, had a really good chat while filling our cars.

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

I had a mate in the Academy who was released because of his size at that time. Adam Smith, went on to have a stint at Peterborough before a decent non-League career at Kings Lynn and Lowestoft.

As for McVeigh, I loved him when he was here, but he did like a drink. Often saw him and Mulryne in Delaneys, one time they were drunk as skunks sinking pro-Irish Republican ballads but I don't think anyone else in the pub knew what they were singing about. I may or may not have joined in.

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Alex Notman was one of Worthington's first signings (5ft 7"), and he gave Ian Henderson the opportunity to break through (5ft 8").

So I highly doubt he had a problem with Paul McVeigh's height.

The problem may have lie with the amount of time McVeigh spent in pubs during the week with his buddy Phil Mulryne (5ft 9") perhaps?

As for the academy thing... in 2002 we didn't give a single professional contract to any of our third year Academy scholars. But Andrew Oxby was our youth team player of the season that year (he was diminutive).

Oxby didn't get offered a deal anywhere else. Did a single one of these small academy players released under Worthington go on to prove him wrong?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten