Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

"It's only Watford".......really?

The dumbest thing I've seen written on this board and elsewhere, for some time.  Their matches have largely been close affairs, a freak first match of the season against Brighton where they lost 3-0 at home, but barring that and the Man City match where they lost 8-0, most of their matches have been close with five draws.  (0-1, 1-3, 1-1, 2-2, 0-2, 0-0, 1-1, 0-0, 0-2, 1-2). 

So make no mistake this will be a tough, tough match and we will not win it because "it's only Watford", so let's knock that one on the head right away.  We will have to be at our most determined attitude to get anything on Friday - it reminds me of the Preston home match last season which was also an evening match and when we were struggling for form - we won that match through sheer willpower.  We are going to need that on Friday. 

On the opposite side, I hope the Watford fans will be thinking "it's only Norwich" because if they think that they might get a shock.

So gird your loins, it's going to be  one heck of a match! 

• Like 4

Watford have ‘established’ themselves (whatever that means) as a PL side over the last few seasons, so the idea that it’ll be easy just because they are below us is daft.  They have had a really odd start and been a mixture of dreadful (Brighton, Man City) and dead unlucky (Arsenal, Spurs, where a clear pen wasn’t given), hopefully we catch them on one of the former. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Weren’t you nearly saying exactly the opposite before we played Manchester City? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣

For what it’s worth I don’t think a lot of people are saying or thinking this; we’re in the middle of a horrid run.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo

22 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

If you think about it LDC is saying exactly the same thing for both the Man City game and the Watford game, basically he is saying that the result is not a foregone conclusion based on who we are playing.........

And I think most people are saying the same thing in return- 'we know this, you don't need to spell it out for us on a weekly basis.'

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yeah I saw that comment too and replied to it! I said "I really hope this doesn't come back to bit us on the ****!"

Deeney and others back in training now too. If he gets on, I can see our defence getting absolutely battered. They have been horrible against big, powerful forwards and he's one of the best at being just that!

27 minutes ago, king canary said:

And I think most people are saying the same thing in return- 'we know this, you don't need to spell it out for us on a weekly basis.'

There are plenty of people talking us down as if the season is over, both on here and on social media, so I think things need to be said, however obvious it is to some of us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There are plenty of people talking us down as if the season is over, both on here and on social media, so I think things need to be said, however obvious it is to some of us.

This. There is an INCREDIBLE amount of negativity here currently, I may not share LDC's sunny outlook (not in full anyway), but I am certainly not with all the pant wetters. 

It's actually getting very boring watching so many talk us down, regurgitating similar arguments that for the most part are largely unbalanced in favour of 'doom and gloom'.

We're in a tough spot, that can't be denied, but good grief a lot of people need to get a grip...

So I agree, apparently it DOES need pointing out. Probably more than weekly judging by the current state of the forum.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

This. There is an INCREDIBLE amount of negativity here currently, I may not share LDC's sunny outlook (not in full anyway), but I am certainly not with all the pant wetters. 

It's actually getting very boring watching so many talk us down, regurgitating similar arguments that for the most part are largely unbalanced in favour of 'doom and gloom'.

We're in a tough spot, that can't be denied, but good grief a lot of people need to get a grip...

So I agree, apparently it DOES need pointing out. Probably more than weekly judging by the current state of the forum.

To be fair I don't think the negativity on here is reflective of our fanbase overall. There's been a sudden return of posters who've literally not got involved for a year and they're apparently making up for lost time by posting pretty much constantly right now.

• Like 4

For a team which still retains aspirations of a top 4 finish, with a squad which was so strong in the summer it needed no substantial improvement, Watford at home should be easy pickings.  

• Haha 3

I will as I always do support the lads on Friday. It does not change my views on what is holding back the club and I take no notice of those that seek to ridicule anyone not on their "message". I read & respect those people with differing views to mine only when they refrain from silly quotes like "moaners" or "Pant wetters"..

• Like 2

The way we are playing at the moment, we would have a tough task beating a midtable Championship side tbh. Every game in the PL is tough and we will have to be up for it (I mean the team and the supporters). I will be supporting the lads, but I am nervous to say the least

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To be fair I don't think the negativity on here is reflective of our fanbase overall. There's been a sudden return of posters who've literally not got involved for a year and they're apparently making up for lost time by posting pretty much constantly right now.

From my trip to Brighton on Sunday I got the sense that most think we're likely to go down but there wasn't an overriding mood of negativity or a lack of support for the lads on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I agree with this! I am not happy and I am rather more downcast about our chances , but being pessimistic and just posting for the sake of being negative is not gonna help ...

I think most football fans are pretty short-term in their views, a few defeats and it's doom & gloom but a couple of wins and it all changes around.  It's not long really since we beat Man City and we were all on cloud 9.

Clearly there are a lot of reasons for concern at the moment, the injuries have had an effect and we have lost a lot of the cohesion and creativity which was so powerful last season. 

I'm sure there are some daft internet posters saying "it's only Watford" but frankly the internet is full of idiots spouting garbage.  I think most of us realise Watford will be a tough test and would be a tough game even if we were on a good run of form.

I don't think I have heard anybody say it's only Watford, we are in dreadful form and we are playing c**p. 

They have had a terrible start to the season but let's not forget that they were challenging for a Europa spot and got to the FA Cup Final last season, they still have quality even if they aren't showing it this season, make no mistake this will be a tough test against a team desperate for a win. 

Edited by Alex

It isn't only Watford that is true.

But it is us playing the only team who has picked up less points than us so far this season, at home. So it is fair to suggest that if we can't beat them then who can we beat?

54 minutes ago, king canary said:

But it is us playing the only team who has picked up less points than us so far this season, at home. So it is fair to suggest that if we can't beat them then who can we beat?

The flipside of that argument is that if we can beat Man City, we can beat anyone. As ever, the truth is somewhere in the middle ground. Fingers crossed we can get a result on Friday and give ourselves some much-needed momentum.

11 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't think I have heard anybody say it's only Watford, we are in dreadful form and we are playing c**p.

No, someone definitely said it! It's on another thread....

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

Watford fans are not confident-they have no idea what has gone wrong this season but they are definitely missing Deeney, who won't be playing tomorrow. They are using Andre Gray in the lone striker role, which he hates and isn't suited to. They also have 2 of the slowest centre backs in the Premiership.

We will not have a better chance of 3 points than this for the rest of the season. 3-1 as I said in another thread.

Surely any team that has the potential to "challenge the Top 6" should be capable of beating the bottom team at home. :classic_smile:

Edited by Making Plans

Really looking forward to this. Carrow Rd under the lights on a Friday night. Leave work early, down the pub for several sharpeners and hopefully the atmosphere will be cranked up for this 6 pointer. Can't wait. What could possibly go wrong to ruin my weekend 😂  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Every team can beat us from bottom upwards.......but every team is beatable, from top downwards, as we have already proved. 

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Every team can beat us from bottom upwards.......but every team is beatable, from top downwards, as we have already proved. 

45542836.jpg

43 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But we still need your weekly 'We can win this game' thread?

I was really pleased to see Farke said at the press conference " The player's have to concentrate really hard on passing, even the easy passes."   Because that's one of areas that's dropped since last season.

15 hours ago, Alex said:

Here you go Alex

A bonkers assessment from Shef if ever I saw one! 😉

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

No, someone definitely said it! It's on another thread....

Fair enough I hadn't seen it, thanks 

• Like 1

Looks like Troy Deeney has travelled with the Watford lads. I was hoping he would be out for this one. Not because he's a fantastic player but he is the type of striker that our defence don't like playing against. 

Edited by Alex

On 06/11/2019 at 11:26, king canary said:

And yet Lakey was the one saying we were good enough to get top four before the season kicked off! Surely if he believed this he thinks we should beat teams like Watford without breaking sweat?