Indy

So is Friday a must win?

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

along came Norwich. I can only see a Watford win and a meltdown. But then, just as we resign ourselves to doom, we will beat a much better team, get a few points and the game of feeble hope will start over again. 

Blimey you are a happy little sunbeam.........

I think a loss to an unconfident and injury hit Watford side who are bottom of the division will only damage confidence more and for that reason it's a must win game. 

Edited by Alex

12 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Blimey you are a happy little sunbeam.........

Not unhappy just a seasoned Norwich supporter. History tells me we tend to lose must win games against lower sides but then often win against top teams. Maybe it is about less pressure or maybe our style struggles against big cloggers. We shall see...

No one gets relegated at the start of November. A win would be a huge confidence booster and three points but losing will not see our season over.

I can see both sides of the coin.

I get those who are saying that we could beat 'better' teams and pick up points and I do understand DCB's view, stating 'along come Norwich'. History does tell us that we often **** up in these games.

Let's put it this way. If Deeney gets a start, or is even in the squad, that is going to give Watford a big boost and I don't think our current defence could cope with his strength and bullish approach to games. Then on the flipside, he hasn't played in some time and may take a while to get up to speed.

So, in summary, if we lost this game it wouldn't be a very nice atmosphere at Carrow Road and we'd also have to deal with varying, serial miserablists complaining through various online boards and groups. If we win, we get a bit of a boost to the old confidence and put some daylight between us and Watford. Losing it won't definitively relegate us and winning it won't definitively see us staying up.

It's obviously a very important match to win, which will have big consequences for both sides, but it can't possibly be a "must-win" as there's plenty of other games between now and the end of the season...

With performance bonuses paid out in the PL whereby every club gets more money the higher they are up the league every game is a 'must win.'

We need all the money we can get.

Points mean prizes.

On balance, I would have to say yes, it is a must win.  Losing will not only put Watford above us in the table, it will also give them their first win and put us rock bottom.  Also looking at this weekend's fixtures, there are very real opportunities for the teams directly above us to pick up points, so a defeat will likely see us cut even further adrift. 

A win would be massive in many respects.  It would keep Watford bottom, without a win and 5 points behind us.  We would go above Southampton and on to 10 points, just a point off Everton and Villa and 2 off Newcastle and Burnley and only a win off the next 4 teams, West Ham, Wolves, Spurs, Man U.

I'm surprised how many people think that it's not a must win.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

Not an absolute must-win due to the number of games left, but a very important one for morale and confidence building. It has the feel of Hughton's last home game (West Brom?), when they beat us and left us needing wins v Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal & Man U.  Had we won that game, I think we'd have stayed up.

good news about sooner than expected return of first hanley and then zimbo means a double boost if we can take that win..

On 05/11/2019 at 20:10, TIL 1010 said:

Anybody who thinks this is not a must win game is beyond delusional.

Delia is the one who is delusional - thinking that the way to prepare for an EPL season is to spend no money in the summer; and then have the same "Norwich Way" game plan for each opponent regardless of results.

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

Delia is the one who is delusional - thinking that the way to prepare for an EPL season is to spend no money in the summer; and then have the same "Norwich Way" game plan for each opponent regardless of results.

The question that none of the doomsayers want to answer but I will ask it again....Working on the basis that we have agreed that we will get relegated who are the two clubs likely to come down with us?. if Villa and Sheff Utd continue in the same vein it means two "established" Premier teams will be coming down with us, so that rules out money spent and naivety of the Prem as reasons a team gets relegated. If Sheff Utd and/or Villa do not continue in the same vein then we are looking at clubs that have spent £40M and £146M so that rules out spending as being the key to staying up....... 

15 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The question that none of the doomsayers want to answer but I will ask it again....Working on the basis that we have agreed that we will get relegated who are the two clubs likely to come down with us?. if Villa and Sheff Utd continue in the same vein it means two "established" Premier teams will be coming down with us, so that rules out money spent and naivety of the Prem as reasons a team gets relegated. If Sheff Utd and/or Villa do not continue in the same vein then we are looking at clubs that have spent £40M and £146M so that rules out spending as being the key to staying up....... 

But it is Villa and Sheffield United not being naive which sees them both sit higher in the league. Their spending in the summer and their tactical approach has demonstrated this. The reasons Norwich are doing the worst of the three are so obvious.

32 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

But it is Villa and Sheffield United not being naive which sees them both sit higher in the league. Their spending in the summer and their tactical approach has demonstrated this. The reasons Norwich are doing the worst of the three are so obvious.

Are you a politician Vince?, just answer the question, who do you think are the two teams that will get relegated with us?.........

Ideally we need another 3 or 4 points by the time we play Sheff Utd otherwise defeat against them will change the atmosphere amongst the supporters quite considerably.  It's a must not lose game definitely given our brutal away form.

12 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I doubt Watford have been more confident of a win all season . I know they haven’t won a game yet but I think it’s happening tomorrow . 1.3

Watford is my home town, I still work there 2 days a week and almost all of my friends are Watford fans. None of them are confident of a win.

Honestly, if half the posters on this thread have tickets for tonight the atmosphere is going to be borderline suicidal.

I wonder what they'll all moan about when we win? Although a few will probably go back into hiding until the next defeat I should think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Honestly, if half the posters on this thread have tickets for tonight the atmosphere is going to be borderline suicidal.

I wonder what they'll all moan about when we win? Although a few will probably go back into hiding until the next defeat I should think.

👍

Any of those who didn’t think that was a must win are seriously deluded. After that I honestly don’t know where we go from here. Confidence is shot and we’re now the leagues whipping boys. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yet I called it spot on....

You called the defeat correctly and I agree it was was a poor performance, my comment was more about your demeanour rather than the potential result. I have always thought there was a high probability we would be relegated. As I said many times before I am going to enjoy the season come what may and I really do not see the point of getting bent out of shape over something you have no control over.......

3 hours ago, JF said:

Any of those who didn’t think that was a must win are seriously deluded. After that I honestly don’t know where we go from here. Confidence is shot and we’re now the leagues whipping boys. 

Tough two weeks ahead. Its not impossible to rebuild confidence, a lucky break ( which we certainy aint getting ) a streaky win from somewhere and the mood can change. I think the youth we have in the group will help that to happen, but its not looking likely atm.