lake district canary

Reports of our early demise are greatly exaggerated

The media might have written us off, some of our fans might have written us off, but we are not written off, we are in a battle to get up the table - just like last season when we struggled to get going. So don't believe what the naysayers are saying - there is time to improve and there is time to get players fit to make our match day squads stronger. 

Beating Man city was not a fluke, beating Newcastle was not a fluke, drawing with Bn'mth away was not a fluke. 

Losing to Villa like we did was a one off, brought on by the injury situation - and if as a Norwich supporter you dismiss that as an excuse then you fail to understand the effect of playing with so little resources and with injured players on the pitch too.  The rest of the defeats - Liverpool, Chelsea and Man utd were hardly surprises - and Burnley/West Ham/Palace and Brighton away results were not disgraceful, just disappointing.

That leaves us needing to pick up points - and against Watford would be great to start doing that, but even if we lose that one, it is still only 12 games into the season with 26 games to pick up points.  The media and our own pessimists will just say that is it, season over, but it is never over until it's over.  Fourth place it might not be, but football is unpredictable - I mean who predicted last season's success? So we fight to get up the table and I hope to goodness the vast majority of our fans stay with it and not get sucked into a defeatist mind set - the team deserve more than that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The media might have written us off, some of our fans might have written us off, but we are not written off, we are in a battle to get up the table - just like last season when we struggled to get going. So don't believe what the naysayers are saying - there is time to improve and there is time to get players fit to make our match day squads stronger. 

Beating Man city was not a fluke, beating Newcastle was not a fluke, drawing with Bn'mth away was not a fluke. 

Losing to Villa like we did was a one off, brought on by the injury situation - and if as a Norwich supporter you dismiss that as an excuse then you fail to understand the effect of playing with so little resources and with injured players on the pitch too.  The rest of the defeats - Liverpool, Chelsea and Man utd were hardly surprises - and Burnley/West Ham/Palace and Brighton away results were not disgraceful, just disappointing.

That leaves us needing to pick up points - and against Watford would be great to start doing that, but even if we lose that one, it is still only 12 games into the season with 26 games to pick up points.  The media and our own pessimists will just say that is it, season over, but it is never over until it's over.  Fourth place it might not be, but football is unpredictable - I mean who predicted last season's success? So we fight to get up the table and I hope to goodness the vast majority of our fans stay with it and not get sucked into a defeatist mind set - the team deserve more than that.

Have you given up on us reaching the Champions League already? Honestly, the negativity of some people on here astounds me.

"Burnley/West Ham/Palace and Brighton away results"

Whilst not disgraceful, they do show a negative trend over a substantial period of time. The concern is more than justified - especially as the trend shows no sign of changing trajectory. That's a lot of points lost to so called rivals. 

But what will be, will be. We should definitely try a bit harder to enjoy it and you never know! The biggest disappointment for me is if the atmosphere suffers and we lose what was being built so well last season (and into this). Having partisan support is defined more clearly during the not so good times. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 2

You started these expectations. Most of us were happy to enjoy the ride and see where it led us to ??? You claimed we were a top six side that kept the ball better than Man City. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

"Burnley/West Ham/Palace and Brighton away results"

Whilst not disgraceful, they do show a negative trend over a substantial period of time. The concern is more than justified - especially as the trend shows no sign of changing trajectory. That's a lot of points lost to so called rivals. 

But what will be, will be. We should definitely try a bit harder to enjoy it and you never know! The biggest disappointment for me is if the atmosphere suffered and we lost what was being build last season and into this. Having partisan support is defined more during the not so good times. 

The results concern me a lot less then than the performances. It's really only Palace that you can claim we possibly should have got a point. The others we lost comfortably.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

The results concern me a lot less then than the performances. It's really only Palace that you can claim we possibly should have got a point. The others we lost comfortably.

Yes, I agree. The mentioned games have been all too predictable, and more or less followed an exact pattern throughout. 

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

The results concern me a lot less then than the performances. 

The performances concern me less than the reactions. 

The fans are beginning to give up because it looks like the players have begun to give up, and Farke's comments have compounded that.

What would really help is if Webber came out and helped us all see the bigger picture again. The problem is, he tends to go very quiet when things are going badly and we only really hear from him when things are going well - like after the Man City win. 

It is probably Webber that needs to rally the troops right now and give us some cause for medium to long term optimism. 

The accounts tell you all you need to know. If the Club stays up it will be a monumental achievement but reality would suggest otherwise. The gulf in skill and athleticism from the football leagues to the Prem is just too great as is widely acknowledged. Its why these top players command such high fees that are way out of NCFC's budgetary reach. Our guys are simply not at the races. 

This campaign is an unexpected bonus and i for one took the view that come what may i wasn't going to get down about what is really a predictable position. It is disappointing and yet you never know things may pick up. Cant change the ownership so might as well get behind whatever fayre is dished up. 

Sorry but I was at Palace and we deserves jack ****e... We won a few games based on promotion and confidence since then we have been easy to beat and predictable. You need to invest to stay in this league as all facts prove.

10 hours ago, Well b back said:

You started these expectations. Most of us were happy to enjoy the ride and see where it led us to ??? You claimed we were a top six side that kept the ball better than Man City. 

And you really believed him?  Lakeyo is a very positive poster, to the point of being mocked as delusional, by me too on occasion, but to suggest that he started these expectations is ridiculous. If you cannot control the rational side of your brain and are prone to  taking your cue from  a poster on a forum and then call them out for ' misleading you' then I suggest a course in mental fortitude.

Expectations are a disappointment waiting to happen.  Don't try to blame someone else if  fail to see the reality of a situation.

5 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

. You need to invest to stay in this league as all facts prove.

Investment may well help as some studies indicate.

Have made your statement look a little less ridiculous. Fulham. 

Both of the other promoted sides would be in our position with the injuries we've had. In order to survive this year we needed to stay injury free but instead we've had the worst run of injuries I can remember in 50 years. It's unfortunate but I think it means we'll go down. Get Zimmerman and Vrancic back soon and keep everyone else fit and you never know! 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

And you really believed him?  Lakeyo is a very positive poster, to the point of being mocked as delusional, by me too on occasion, but to suggest that he started these expectations is ridiculous. If you cannot control the rational side of your brain and are prone to  taking your cue from  a poster on a forum and then call them out for ' misleading you' then I suggest a course in mental fortitude.

Expectations are a disappointment waiting to happen.  Don't try to blame someone else if  fail to see the reality of a situation.

Really ?

Many of us were happy to see where this season went with the expectations that we were going to enjoy the season. Along came this Lakey, telling us we were a top 6 club and even ( before we played Man City ) telling us we keep the ball far better than Man City. He told us enjoying watching our team play the best teams and players in the country ( and some cases the world ) was not acceptable.

He has now completely turned and now tells us we should be enjoying what’s happening. He changes every time the results and performances change and is now advocating that we should do what he slated people for saying they were going to do. I suggest you read the Raheem Sterling thread.

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Really ?

Many of us were happy to see where this season went with the expectations that we were going to enjoy the season. Along came this Lakey, telling us we were a top 6 club and even ( before we played Man City ) telling us we keep the ball far better than Man City. He told us enjoying watching our team play the best teams and players in the country ( and some cases the world ) was not acceptable.

He has now completely turned and now tells us we should be enjoying what’s happening. He changes every time the results and performances change and is now advocating that we should do what he slated people for saying they were going to do. I suggest you read the Raheem Sterling thread.

You continually misunderstand what I wrote about Man City and what I said about top six.  I've explained it several times, but you don't seem to get it.  I said the only way we could beat Man City would be if we COULD keep the ball better than them - not that we WOULD keep the ball better than them - anyhow, we actually beat them without doing that.

As for top six, yes I've placed a bet that we will finish top six, but I never said "We are a top six side" as such, which is daft when you are near the bottom of the table, but it's a long season, anything can still happen.

And yes, we should be trying to enjoy the ride with all it's ups and downs - difficult in the last few weeks I know, but we do know we have good players and players to come back from injury and imo players that are still trying to find the right level of performance for what is needed. That is the beauty of it - seeing if our boys can adjust to the levels required with each and every upcoming match - imo one or two of them are trying too hard to be extra special instead of doing what is good for the team.

I like to win every match or think that we can win any match in which we start, but like I said for the Villa match - it would not be the end of the world if we lost that - and I will say the same about the Watford match - these matches are not season defining, any more than the Man City match was.  We have to pick up points when we can against whoever we can and if that means away at Everton or at home to Arsenal, or as we did against Man City, then so be it. 

That is why I would have been so disappointed to lose that Man City match - every game is a potential three points - and we will get points at different places than we expect - and for goodness sakes, people were saying before that match, it's ok if we lose it!! Bonkers. Also, we could lose to Watford then win away at Everton...who knows? I am hoping of course that we can help get the season going on Friday, it's a huge match, but I will not be crying "that's it we are relegated" if we lose, which in my mind is just defeatism.

Oh, and I've just looked at the first page of the Sterling thread - I said " As for Man City being better at possession football, I would agree, but possession football is just that and if we have the ball, the opposition do not have the ball to keep!  So if we play well it will be a close match imo."

We have to hope that the manager and his players acclimatise more effectively and more speedily to the demands of Premier League football .... I, personally, feel that the package is good enough to survive but that learning curve is getting steeper now as, with one third of the campaign completed, time is going against us.

Apart from the above, a couple of other possible positives are that the injury crisis is abating by the week and there is another dip into the transfer market available; which we have to hope will strengthen us in the January window.

Given all the above coming together in true Farke style then I am anticipating an improvement in fortunes as we progress into the second half of the season and base this on the expectation that some of the 'reverse' fixtures will yield vital points. None of Burnley, Palace or Brighton impressed me enough to suggest that we need to be over-pessimistic about the outcome of such fixtures at a fortress Carrow Road.

We need a decent dose of good fortune along with a more positive approach and things could easily turn.

This general meltdown is premature.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Really

Yes. You stated that he started these expectations. .. for who? The rest of your post suggested you had none until reading lakeyos  post. If you hang  your Hopes  on someone else's unproven beliefs,   well that's up to you . But it does seem a bit daft given that as far as we know Lakeyo is as much of an expert as the rest of us. Why not take him with a pinch of salt , his positivity  is a welcome fillip to the daily whingeing  on here. G'day.

"This general meltdown is premature."......I really do hope so.I also hope those at the club with influence, don their welding masks, fire retardant smocks, asbestos gauntlets and steel toe tipped clad protective boots......and wade in and drag us out of this meltdown.......

At this moment in time we really need our "Phoenix rising from the ashes"......'Oh, yeah'...... 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

It's hardly premature. It's been occuring for so long it's hard to remember when it started....

Probably started when you spelt 'occurring' incorrectly.....

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Probably started when you spelt 'occurring' incorrectly.....

Probably because I never had to learn spelling and sums to be a bog cleaning bingo caller. 

Perhaps we could start a thread where you others could explain why you're so dense..

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Probably because I never had to learn spelling and sums to be a bog cleaning bingo caller. 

Perhaps we could start a thread where you others could explain why you're so dense..

Gimme six......

Not sure if it's been mentioned as I can't be bothered reading the whole thing now, but, worth pointing out that other than Burnley we have only won one game fewer than any of the teams not in the top four (and Burnley only have one more than that), we just haven't been able to buy a draw!