duke63

£34 million loss

What I wonder is....

Will the prophets of doom ever finally be right?

Will there actually come a time when we are doomed...

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What I wonder is....

Mr Gorbachev seems to think we are Doomed thanks to the West and Russia’s relationship determination! So that time might come soon!

Only if the richest man in the world buys Delia out. How about Amazon City playing in nice cardboard coloured shirts and free Prime for all season ticket holders.

27 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ah, so that's how we got £8m for Jason Shackell after his impressive debut season! 

I personally doubt that Godfrey and Lewis have impressed enough to add value, possibly the opposite. People on here were talking about Godfrey being worth £30m in the summer; I think Jack O'Connell will have more scouts watching him right now. 

Max Aarons probably has secured his future in this league though, he generally hasn't looked out of place in this division and is 2 years younger than Godfrey and Lewis. All of the other young players, including Buendia, have got it all left to prove if we're going be offered serious 'no brainer' money. 

I suspect fans will be disappointed by some of the fees if we do feel under pressure to sell. 

Max Aarons the only one right now that we'd get a £20m+ bid for from a top 6/7 club in the January window. 

I think 90% of fans would probably say Lewis has had a far better start to the season than Max, and probably put Godfrey ahead of him too.

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think 90% of fans would probably say Lewis has had a far better start to the season than Max, and probably put Godfrey ahead of him too.

I have no idea if that is true or not, perhaps start a poll. 

But I think 90% of fans are also smart enough to see that Godfrey and Lewis are 2 whole years older than Max Aarons. For context, he has played 53 career games and Ben Godfrey has played 124. 

And that he's one of only 2 players in the last England U21 squad to be playing regular Premier League football.

And that Ben Godfrey and Jamal Lewis would need to be registered in any 25 man squad next season in the Premier League to play for their new team, but Max Aarons wouldn't. 

ps. Why do you have a photo of somebody else's Jaguar XF as your avatar? 

https://www.westwelljones.co.uk/vehicle/jaguar-xf-d-v6-s-portfolio-275-bhp-with-black-pack-and-blind-spot-monitor-in-farnborough-hampshire-8ff32224-e697-41ab-9728-a8a300e2614f

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

What I wonder is....

So when is the 5 year plan over.. did Mc Nally start it or was it Webber? When will the cult followers realise top 25 is it... Actually you are probably happy with that so sorry...

12 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Well if our academy didn't produce these players you have to wonder why the clubs that did produce them sold them to us so cheaply.

If you are York City a quarter of a million quid keeps you going.. see Leicester City  Madison

So Webber came into a club which had basically finished 28th in the country and his aim was to establish us in the top 25. 

Surely based on a 30 year average we'd already be within the top 25 on average league position? 

Highest in that period is 3, lowest is 45. I'll calculate when I get a chance. 

With a promotion to the top tier under Doncaster, and two promotions under McNally, and one under Webber... Is that the scope of our ambition? To make sure each generation can experience a promotion? 

McNally's goal was to establish us in the Premier League. We finished 11th, we finished 12th, then he ****ed it. But he did leave us with Maddison, the sale of whom helped finance our most recent promoted squad. 

So basically we're near the peak in terms of our ambition. That's quite different to Parma's suggestion that we're on a journey like Auxerre who qualified for Europe numerous times. Barcelona were even mentioned. 

I'd be delighted with a League Cup sometime in the next 10 years and can we at least dream of that? Or too ambitious? Too much to ask that I see a cup final in my lifetime? 30 years being a fan and I've not seen one of those yet. 

Or just the odd year here and there making up the numbers in this league? 

It doesn't surprise me that Hogesar is content with our lot, because some of us can remember when we were good... Really good... 1985 to 1995, that was our best decade. 

That's what we should aspire to and all dream of. It's sad that younger fans think that this is peak Norwich.

This team and our 1992 team, no comparison. Other than Hernandez on the left in rotation with Phillips, and Pukki alongside Sutton instead of Robins none of our players would stand a chance of getting into that XI. 

Well I'm glad I caught the second half of Norwich's great decade, because we won't see it again, the ambition isn't there. I feel sorry for Hogesar and other younger fans who didn't get to experience our true greatness.

Top 25 is a range of 15th in Prem to 5th in Championship. We aspire to be a yo-yo team. Essentially what we already were. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

So Webber came into a club which had basically finished 28th in the country and his aim was to establish us in the top 25. 

Surely based on a 30 year average we'd already be within the top 25 on average league position? 

With a promotion to the top tier under Doncaster, and two promotions under McNally, and one under Webber... Is that the scope of our ambition? To make sure each generation can experience a promotion? 

McNally's goal was to establish us in the Premier League. We finished 11th, we finished 12th, then he ****ed it. But he did leave us with Maddison, the sale of whom helped finance our most recent promoted squad. 

So basically we're near the peak in terms of our ambition. That's quite different to Parma's suggestion that we're on a journey like Auxerre who qualified for Europe numerous times. Barcelona were even mentioned. 

I'd be delighted with a League Cup sometime in the next 10 years and can we at least dream of that? Or too ambitious? Too much to ask that I see a cup final in my lifetime? 30 years being a fan and I've not seen one of those yet. 

It doesn't surprise me that Hogesar is content with our lot, because some of us can remember when we were good... Really good... 1985 to 1995, that was our best decade. 

That's what we should aspire to and all dream of. It's sad that younger fans think that this is peak Norwich.

This team and our 1992 team, no comparison. Other than Hernandez on the left in rotation with Phillips, and Pukki alongside Sutton instead of Robins none of our players would stand a chance of getting into that XI. 

Well I'm glad I caught the second half of Norwich's great decade, because we won't see it again, the ambition isn't there. I feel sorry for Hogesar and other younger fans who didn't get to experience our true greatness.

Top 25 is a range of 15th in Prem to 5th in Championship. We aspire to be a yo-yo team. Essentially what we already were. 

Over to Nutty to put you right on that statement . Hogesar will then back him up and hopefully you’ll see the error of your ways . 

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That’s pretty much every City fans dream to establish ourselves and push on to a cup final, you could argue from 1975 to 1995 we only spent two seasons outside the top flight, that must have made us a top flight established club?

The reality is from 1995 football moved on to become a financial global juggernaut and we have pretty much stayed the same sized club financially and in actual size regarding capacity and stature, we’re a Championship sized club, with a championship sized budget, lots of other clubs moved passed us with big financial backers, some now in the premiership, some in league 1 (Bolton, Sunderland, Coventry, all long time premiership clubs with new facilities at some stage now floundering) that’s just how it is!

The reality is some fans are happy to be where we are, content with our lot in life, others want a step change, with a change comes a gamble, no certainty and probably an very bumpy road truth be told. So there’s always going to two sides to this view point.

We are what we are, the club is majority owned by one family with limit wealth, who want to run the club as a self funded business, that’s their right, we just support the players and enjoy the past couple seasons as successful ones, the good times along with the rough, cup finals and European football is a thing of the past.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I have no idea if that is true or not, perhaps start a poll. 

But I think 90% of fans are also smart enough to see that Godfrey and Lewis are 2 whole years older than Max Aarons. For context, he has played 53 career games and Ben Godfrey has played 124. 

And that he's one of only 2 players in the last England U21 squad to be playing regular Premier League football.

And that Ben Godfrey and Jamal Lewis would need to be registered in any 25 man squad next season in the Premier League to play for their new team, but Max Aarons wouldn't. 

ps. Why do you have a photo of somebody else's Jaguar XF as your avatar? 

https://www.westwelljones.co.uk/vehicle/jaguar-xf-d-v6-s-portfolio-275-bhp-with-black-pack-and-blind-spot-monitor-in-farnborough-hampshire-8ff32224-e697-41ab-9728-a8a300e2614f

Yep, understand that. Just saying if any of our younger players have adapted well to the Prem its probably Lewis. If he continues and we do get relegated, I think there will be just as, if not more interest in him. Personally think Max has struggled defensively in comparison. 

And I appreciate you trying to take a cheap shot, and it's a good go. However the reason I have that picture is because I just bought it. Not that exact car but identical, and having very recently been a victim of insurance fraud from an uploaded car pic before I try to avoid using my own now. Is that ok with you?

This thread has clearly triggered the Delia outers, based on.... I’m not entirely sure what. 

We lost money last season, based on part on our success in reaching the Premier League faster than expected. The club have said they expect this to be mirrored by a profit this season. Is there anything dramatic to see here, given that we’re talking about a football club?

As far as I can tell, the problem is that we are in the bottom three and posters believe that if we’d spent more on new recruits this wouldn’t be the case. Wishes, auntie, uncle...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This thread has clearly triggered the Delia outers, based on.... I’m not entirely sure what. 

We lost money last season, based on part on our success in reaching the Premier League faster than expected. The club have said they expect this to be mirrored by a profit this season. Is there anything dramatic to see here, given that we’re talking about a football club?

As far as I can tell, the problem is that we are in the bottom three and posters believe that if we’d spent more on new recruits this wouldn’t be the case. Wishes, auntie, uncle...

That is the short-term situation but the underlying problem is that posters keep on paying money to watch football on television, thereby perpetuating the unlevel playing field that is the Premier League. Posters who keep harking back to our successes of the late 1980s and very early 1990s can start the return to that kind of egalitarian era by cancelling their subscriptions.🤓

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is the short-term situation but the underlying problem is that posters keep on paying money to watch football on television, thereby perpetuating the unlevel playing field that is the Premier League. Posters who keep harking back to our successes of the late 1980s and very early 1990s can start the return to that kind of egalitarian era by cancelling their subscriptions.🤓

That’s the crux of things, 1996 was a pivotal year, with hindsight some very rich backer might have seen us a great investment knowing what riches Premiership football brings, but none were forthcoming, Delia & MWJ, saw an opportunity to help the club then took that opportunity into a majority ownership, that’s good for them.

TV money controls football, betting built around a global market, but it’s football an entertainment business to the masses, religion to the few!

50 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Nail on head there Purpleo.

3 hours ago, Indy said:

The reality is some fans are happy to be where we are, content with our lot in life, others want a step change, with a change comes a gamble, no certainty and probably an very bumpy road truth be told. So there’s always going to two sides to this view point.

We are what we are, the club is majority owned by one family with limit wealth, who want to run the club as a self funded business, that’s their right, we just support the players and enjoy the past couple seasons as successful ones, the good times along with the rough, cup finals and European football is a thing of the past.

I have no problem with Delia & Hubby, and the way that they have run the club over the years. In fact I've enjoy their tenure as custodians of the club.

But I would like to see them sell the club before they die, not leave it in their will to their nephew. They could, if they so wish, subsequently leave him the proceeds from the sale. 

They could choose the wrong person to leave the club to, or they could choose the right one, it is a gamble and a risk. But so is leaving the club to Tom Smith. 

And personally I'd trust Delia and MWJ in picking a new owner more than I'd trust Tom Smith.

I'm sure in the absence of substantial investment Delia has added value in other ways, her profile for example and cultivating a perception of us as a warm and friendly family club. There are probably some unquantifiable benefits to having her as the owner.

Is it too much to ask that Delia at least attempts to sell the club, to ascertain whether there is any interest? 

Its very closed minded to consider local ownership by a Norwich fan to be our only option, being foreign and wealthy does not automatically mean that somebody is going to try and change the soul of a club or mess with its identity. Look at Crystal Palace, majority owned by Americans.

Made a profit in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, before making a loss in 2018. This is because they sold no players in 2018, the three years prior they realised a net profit on transfer activity,

Their debt is not horrific, its £21.5m, costs just £1.1m a year to service. Due to their cash balance though their net debt position is only £3.6m, and most of the money is internal debt (owed to Directors).

This is their 6th consecutive year in the Premier League, 11th, 10th, 15th, 14th, 11th, 12th (current) their league positions.  And they reached an FA Cup final.

The amount of investment provided by the American owners is pretty miniscule, although more than Delia could afford. It doesn't have to mean a rich person adding £150m of internal debt to the balance sheet and leaving a club technically insolvent, in Palace's case it mean the directors putting in less than £10m to maintain a respectable cash balance in a year where they decided against selling any players. It tides them over until the next season when they could decide to cash in on an asset at a time when it suits them at the best price they can realise in the market (which they then did, right back to Man Utd for £50m - presumably repaying the £10m internal debt). In that example they injected cash as a bridge. 

This is what having directors with substantial personal wealth allows a club to do, it gives them a bit of flexibility. It means that they can have a year without selling a player to balance the books. It offers additional stability. 

In the event that Norwich need to find £10m as a bridge to plug holes in the short term, we don't have a director to offer a low risk and low interest unsecured loan facility, so instead we have to sell a player.... or borrow against the stadium. This is why they are banking the cash from this season, because we need cash reserves. 

This is why I don't want Tom Smith civil servant and would rather we explored other options. Both ways are a gamble, but one way is almost guaranteed to ensure that we will never establish ourselves in the Premier League and will be constantly stuck in a cycle of needing to cash in on assets to plug holes, and other way at least gives us a fighting chance. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

The same old debate again, this time with new clubs being the example of who we should emulate. Gone are Middlesborough, Bolton, Stoke as examples of how we could/ should be and now replaced by Brighton and Crystal Palace. The trouble is, in the real world, you can't just blow all the money and then start fresh again with a new model.

The reality is that an investor puts money into the club in an effort to take more out. In the long term, less money would go to the club than under a self-financed, self-sufficient model. What people are really calling for when they ask for "external investment" is for someone to come along and give the club tens and probably hundreds of millions of pounds.

Such people might exist, Tony Bloom at Brighton, for example, seems to me that he might be one - his charity the Bloom Foundation has given away millions and Brighton born and bred, his affection for his home town club seems to genuine. However, such examples are few and far between. In many cases apparently "benevolent investors", secure their money against the clubs assets, often the ground, and charge above market rates of interest for loans that they have generously given to the club. I would welcome a Bloom or a Mansoor but recognise the reality that we are more likely to get someone who is either hopelessly naive about football finances or someone trying to milk the club for profit.

At the moment too many external investors see football as a one way bet. TV revenue is increasing consistently, playing assets are increasing hugely in value which provides them with the comfort that if it goes "belly up" they can re-sell the club in a growing market or sell assets to get their money back. It has all the characteristics of "a bubble:" history suggests that at some stage it will burst. 

In the meantime, despite all the money being spent, there is quite a remarkable consistency around the league tables. The big 6 largely remain the big 6, the yoyo clubs remain yoyo and every so often a new smaller club comes along and has a few years in the sun - just as always has been the case. The only ones that have substantially changed their long term position tend to be those that have "chased the dream" and blown it - Leeds and Ipswich being examples.

Edited by Badger
Added a sentence
  • Like 5

If every club returned to their "successes" we'd struggle to be in the top 25. Holding up a clubs best ever season as a yardstick for future is a bit unrealistic.

This is not lack of ambition this is realism. In our 117 years history we have one top three finish, one fourth, one fifth And two tenth. No other top half finished. One league cup win and some FA cup semis. 

Now if we expect that to be repeated then we must expect other clubs to live up to their history. Where would that leave us? We have league champions, European Cup winners and FA cup winners who would love to have had our relative success under these owners.

So I get the prophets of doom who say "that's all very well but we won't compete in the future". But they've been saying this for the last twenty years and they've not been right yet. Mainly because right from the ITV digital crash in 2002 our owners have always found a way. But this will never be appreciated because rather like not being able to see the wood for the trees some can't see the people for the money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You'll also remember the 12,000 attendances in the mid to late 90s, nearly going out of business and of course the Championship relegation. 

Thing is, the love for my club does not stem from how ambitious the board are, what league we are in or how many games we're winning. For sure, I enjoy it more when we win and daydream about a Cup Final success, but what I love is just going to the games, the pre-match pub trips and more recently bringing my kids along on occasional games. There are fans in Bury who can't do that anymore. 

I love how the city centre feels differently depending on how the club are doing, I love going in the Indian Saturday night and being asked what the score was and either being comiserated or watch them cheer when I tell them, or if they already know the score being asked what went wrong/right. 

None of that will change whether we're the 5th best, 25th best or 125th best in the country. So I rant and rave on matchdays when we lose and cheer til I'm hoarse when we win, but waste energy moaning about people ensuring our long term future and not gambling the club's stability in the hope that we might finish 12th? Not for me, tah. If we go down, we go down. I'll still be turning up in the same seat I've had for nearly quarter of a century and sinking a couple of lagers in the Jubilee beforehand.

Maybe I'm not ambitious enough, well sue me. From here it looks like I enjoy being a Norwich fan a lot more than you, so I've no plans to change. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"well sue me" are you a housewife from Orange County? 

Ask Til about those 12,000 attendances, that was the result of a successful boycott. 

Without that boycott Chase would not have sold to Watling, who in turn would not have been able to sell to Delia.

But Chase gave us 75 percent of the ground we have today, built with the proceeds of that successful period. 

Thanks to that great 10 years we have that great little ground you've been sitting in for 25 years. 

We can't rebuild the City stand without a sustained period of time in the top tier, or some investment.

So I'll continue to benchmark the success of any regime by: 

1). Growth / development of stadium

2). European football

3). Cup wins 

Saw all three of those with Chase either on the board or in the position of Chairman over 14 years.

Only seen the new South Stand under 23 years of the Smiths. 

There have been some good times over that 23 years, but Tom Smith must not become the owner... We'll go nowhere. 

I can't wait to hear what Til says about this "successful boycott". In a thread full of nonsense that comment trumps all🙃

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I can't wait to hear what Til says about this "successful boycott". In a thread full of nonsense that comment trumps all🙃

Well he reckons he was good friends with Roy Blower... 

27 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You'll also remember the 12,000 attendances in the mid to late 90s, nearly going out of business and of course the Championship relegation. 

Thing is, the love for my club does not stem from how ambitious the board are, what league we are in or how many games we're winning. For sure, I enjoy it more when we win and daydream about a Cup Final success, but what I love is just going to the games, the pre-match pub trips and more recently bringing my kids along on occasional games. There are fans in Bury who can't do that anymore. 

I love how the city centre feels differently depending on how the club are doing, I love going in the Indian Saturday night and being asked what the score was and either being comiserated or watch them cheer when I tell them, or if they already know the score being asked what went wrong/right. 

None of that will change whether we're the 5th best, 25th best or 125th best in the country. So I rant and rave on matchdays when we lose and cheer til I'm hoarse when we win, but waste energy moaning about people ensuring our long term future and not gambling the club's stability in the hope that we might finish 12th? Not for me, tah. If we go down, we go down. I'll still be turning up in the same seat I've had for nearly quarter of a century and sinking a couple of lagers in the Jubilee beforehand.

Maybe I'm not ambitious enough, well sue me. From here it looks like I enjoy being a Norwich fan a lot more than you, so I've no plans to change. 

I largely agree with all of this. I just am not a fan of an artificial cap being placed on our ambitions in order to keep the club 'in the family.'

• Like 1

Ah yes, such fond memories......I remember when Big Bob had them temporarily installed 'hooge' speaker stacks that would put any Metallica gig or an illegal rave to shame "BOOM BOOM BOOM" (strategically positioned where that lookylikey gargantuan iphone biggy screen now sits)......He sez it was to generate stadium atmosphere.....although really, the cynics amongst us felt it was to drown out the vocal protests.....

After Villa beat us, I was stood on the road outside the City Stand, feeding a police horse with polos while many fans where throwing paper aeroplanes made from protest A4 size paper.....Mmh.....back in the days.....He did go eventually though.....

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I weren't what?

Was you?

I thought Roy had the best interests of the club at heart....Were you a friend of Roy?.... 

32 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

"well sue me" are you a housewife from Orange County? 

Are you a bit of a ** from somewhere without an NR postcode?

And the low attendances were not as a result of any boycott, you're talking nonsense. There was no meaningful upturn in attendances after he was finally ousted. It was only really our playoff run in 2002 that saw a huge increase in people wanting to come to Carrow Road and fortunately we've been pretty much full for almost every game since.

And your benchmarks are rather good and difficult to argue with, though I would throw in a long term sustainability of the club measurement.

However, I reiterate, "success of the regime" is not what draws me to Carrow Road every match. It's the fact that the club is my club and will be regardless of whether we're romping to a Championship title, languishing at the bottom of the Premier League and dropping like a stone toward Non-League football. There is a very small part of me that wouldn't mind the latter; at least we wouldn't have to suffer this modern breed of entitled fan who puts on a decent impression of Veruca Salt if we don't go and splurge a fortune every transfer window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1