duke63

£34 million loss

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes so I suppose your take on all things ownership wise depends on how you feel about that being our "ceiling."

Nope I’m all for a change, but that’s not in my control and it’s been made very clear where the ownership is going post Delia, so I’m accepting of where this club is and how it’ll be run.

As I’ve pointed out I’m not overly impressed with paying a player 2 million a year to sit on the bench or get loaned out, rather have younger or hungry players wanting to become better for footballing reasons than journeymen topping up pensions.

Just how it is Jim, much rather be in the position of Southampton or Bournemouth with Rich owners, but not going to happen here.

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nope I’m all for a change, but that’s not in my control and it’s been made very clear where the ownership is going post Delia, so I’m accepting of where this club is and how it’ll be run.

As I’ve pointed out I’m not overly impressed with paying a player 2 million a year to sit on the bench or get loaned out, rather have younger or hungry players wanting to become better for footballing reasons than journeymen topping up pensions.

Just how it is Jim, much rather be in the position of Southampton or Bournemouth with Rich owners, but not going to happen here.

Just to be clear Indy by “you” I meant “ones” as in any particular fans views on our ownership model will depend on whether the ceiling, clearly illustrated by these accounts, is enough for them. For many it is. I also would like to see us have the opportunity to push on but I do also accept that within the current confines the club is doing (almost) as well as it can. I say almost as I think they could have perhaps found enough for one more key signing in the summer. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

No Wolfie as Naismith was a panic buy in the January window when relegation was looming on the horizon. In that window McNally threw caution to the wind with no strategy other than to throw money at a problem caused by not purchasing when we were promoted the previous summer.

What about the rest of my post, though? Anything positive to say?

1 minute ago, adam72 said:

Brighton had similar losses in our promotion season. Failure to go up Bloom said we would have had to sell key players like Dunk and Knocky.

Thankfully we got to the promise land and Bloom knew how important it was to stay there. We cannot operate in the Championship with our huge overheads. Spending 60 million isn't a large amount but it gave Chris  Hughton a fighting chance. Even if you only stay up one year you get 3 years parachute money instead of two.

Even with spending 60 million we made a profit of around 10 million.

So we both had similar losses in our promotion season  but your board totally let DK down and basically condemned him to relegation even  before a ball was kicked like i said in a previous post. 

I feel for DK i really do. Give the man the tools to do the job FFS.

Instead you will have a season like Huddersfield where your fans will be at breaking point and be royally fooked off. Staring with Friday night when you lose to Watford. Trust me you will.

You are a decent size club, shame you have tinpot owners.

I don't believe for a second your a Brighton fan. Initially I believed Ipswich but the use of "tinpot" now makes me believe you could be a disgruntled Norwich fan. Ok whatever.

If you wanna talk Brighton though I'm happy to. You mention that they can't operate in the championship with those overheads well last season we weren't too far from finding out and one day we will. Whether it's next year, in 5 or 10 - the reality is one day Brighton will once again be a championship team. Will they go down well positioned for a fight to get back to the top flight like Burnley have done or will it be more of a Stoke style re entry Time will tell. One thing for certain is that being a high spending side that can only afford to exists may be vary well while your holding onto the coattails of the premier League but if you find yourself slipping out of it the Championship is more than happy to spit you out at the other end as well. Just look at Sunderland

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

What about the rest of my post, though? Anything positive to say?

Didn't bother with the rest of it wolfie as the first sentence was fundamentally wrong. 😋

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Didn't bother with the rest of it wolfie as the first sentence was fundamentally wrong. 😋

Redacted accordingly, in case you fancy some reasoned debate:

Bigger clubs with bigger transfer budgets than us have gone down, leaving larger black holes in their finances than the one we've just dug ourselves out of. The family that owns Stoke are billionaires, but would you trade places with them?

'Pushing on' is much more likely to perpetuate the 'binge and purge' cycle of spending big then having to cull expenditure drastically, with potentially catastrophic consequences. With this model, we're building for a sustainable future when most around us are throwing ever more ridiculous amounts of money at being one of the 11 surviving clubs outside the top six.

We could gamble everything on the vain hope of becoming the next Leicester, or we could safeguard our future by investing in our Academy - an Academy that has produced colossal value just through the graduates of the last three years. What's the combined market value of Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell, would you say?

We will never be apex predators. Our best young players will move on to bigger and better things. That's just the reality for any club outside the top six, and we've taken sensible and practical steps to develop these players alongside a distinct footballing philosophy that has already delivered a Championship title against long odds.

Summary: we knew there would be a hole in the finances last year due to the absence of parachute payments coupled with the 'sins of the past' that Webber mentioned when he took over. Let's take that on the chin, and be grateful that Akin Famewo has signed a new long-term contract today. OTBC.

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Redacted accordingly, in case you fancy some reasoned debate:

Bigger clubs with bigger transfer budgets than us have gone down, leaving larger black holes in their finances than the one we've just dug ourselves out of. The family that owns Stoke are billionaires, but would you trade places with them?

'Pushing on' is much more likely to perpetuate the 'binge and purge' cycle of spending big then having to cull expenditure drastically, with potentially catastrophic consequences. With this model, we're building for a sustainable future when most around us are throwing ever more ridiculous amounts of money at being one of the 11 surviving clubs outside the top six.

We could gamble everything on the vain hope of becoming the next Leicester, or we could safeguard our future by investing in our Academy - an Academy that has produced colossal value just through the graduates of the last three years. What's the combined market value of Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell, would you say?

We will never be apex predators. Our best young players will move on to bigger and better things. That's just the reality for any club outside the top six, and we've taken sensible and practical steps to develop these players alongside a distinct footballing philosophy that has already delivered a Championship title against long odds.

Summary: we knew there would be a hole in the finances last year due to the absence of parachute payments coupled with the 'sins of the past' that Webber mentioned when he took over. Let's take that on the chin, and be grateful that Akin Famewo has signed a new long-term contract today. OTBC.

You can be owned by a billionaire but unless you’re in the premiership the FFP and league attendance means you can’t really over reach yourselves without potentially getting penalties if you over spend.

Thats why I’ve said on previous threads the Championship is certainly the best league, the FFP has had an impact and the reward of promotion in worth millions. More of a level playing field than most leagues.

14 minutes ago, adam72 said:

What is this i'm not a BHA fan ? Been getting this a lot on here recently. A mod can easily confirm my IP address is in Sussex. Then it will shut up doubters like you who don't like the truth.

Maybe the contents of the bins are of a higher quality than in Suffolk, hence the attraction.

I thought it was the Sussex air that made us Seagulls  MORE knowledgeable about football ?

That's the impression i get from reading this forum. Correct me if i'm wrong!!!

Why are you here then? Go back and post on your own forum!

• Like 1

We owe Bloom around 300 million. He stated on a number occasions he doesn't expect it back. You don't buy clubs like ours to make  money. Doesn't happen.

Getting planning permission for the Amex meant we have extra overheads like paying a travel subsidy to please the council. Think the club payout around 2 or 3 ,million for it.

Even with the biggest gates in the Championship until Villa got relegated we made huge losses every year and we wasn't even in the top 6 for wages.

So what is your point? We are not keen on having someone gloating from a supporter whose team that has spent more of its life in the third tier of football than any other. 

We might well have been the worst team you have seen at the Amex but to be honest you were about the worst side we have played this season and I am lost for words why we lost to you. Palace ran you a close second mind you. Must be teams south of London.

Your owner has pumped 300 million quid you say. Well good on him. So is that the difference between us? The owner?

I have every respect for your club and they are doing well but have little for you when you come on here with your wisdom.

5 minutes ago, adam72 said:

I thought it was the Sussex air that made us Seagulls  MORE knowledgeable about football ?

That's the impression i get from reading this forum. Correct me if i'm wrong!!!

Seagulls squawk a lot, spray Sh!t around and are generally annoying.

I thought it was the Sussex air that made us Seagulls 

And there was me thinking it was because nobody cared about Dolphins. Particularly Palace fans.

No way is he a Brighton fan Keelan, just go back a few years when there was a thread on here regarding Brighton’s plight, playing at some third rate Hockey stadium in the third division, they have some of the nicest die hard fans, now it looks like a binner in disguise making decent Brighton fans look like knobs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Are there any other Championship clubs who have a majority shareholder with no personal wealth? 

I mean, is there precedent here? The idea sounds insane to me.

This is a football club not a stately home being handed down to hereditary peers. 

THANKS I TAKE THAT AS A COMPLIMENT.

I should take anything as a compliment if I were you, as I would imagine they are few and far between

..........................as are girlfriends in your life

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are there any other Championship clubs who have a majority shareholder with no personal wealth? 

This is a football club not a stately home being handed down to hereditary peers. 

I don’t really know, but this club has a majority share holding partners who will pass their share holding on, so we’re here and want the best for the club with our limitations.

Not sure what else can be done but get behind it and enjoy this season, with the knowledge we had a great season last year, take the money and build for next season whichever division we find ourselves in!

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I am not specifically looking for a filthy rich owner as you put it merely an investor to come on board with a few quid, something that is painfully lacking in our boardroom.

Welcome to paradox city Benny, investors  want a return  on their investment.  That would come out of club coffers. As many people have said...you dont invest in a football club to make money. Maybe to write off some dosh. Anyone who can afford  to put in enough money to make a real difference  would,  by definition  have to be stinking rich. 

If you think she is skint then how much are you worth?

I cannot for the life of me understand why a football club now has its success measured by the owner's wealth or how much they go into debt to achieve what a certain section of the supporters call success.

When you come out of Carrow Road on Friday night after being beaten easily please give me a quick passing thought. Remember what i've said and let that digest for a minute. Remember what i predicted and where you will finish. 

Since when has 15 points guaranteed safety. Fancy your chances at OT do you. 

Anyway, signing off to watch a proper team, playing in Europe (have you ever).

2 minutes ago, adam72 said:

When you come out of Carrow Road on Friday night after being beaten easily please give me a quick passing thought. Remember what i've said and let that digest for a minute. Remember what i predicted and where you will finish. 

I don't normally give out my advice for free so you are privileged.

Have a good evening. 

Sounds like Big Vince has learnt how to use a VPN.

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Most of your posts sound insane to me, and shouldn't you be at that other East Anglian stately home tonight ?

The one one poorman road - Farque Hall

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Most of your posts sound insane to me, and shouldn't you be at that other East Anglian stately home tonight ?

The one one poorman road - Farque Hall

Ha ha ha ha ha

19 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Seagulls squawk a lot, spray Sh!t around and are generally annoying.

Flying rats some might say

28 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If you think she is skint then how much are you worth?

I cannot for the life of me understand why a football club now has its success measured by the owner's wealth or how much they go into debt to achieve what a certain section of the supporters call success.

I'm talking about Tom Smith and the succession planning, obviously, hence the rest of the post. Why not read the entire post before jumping into a response? 

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Sounds like Big Vince has learnt how to use a VPN.

Dunno, I think even Big Vince is too intelligent to call anything to do with another club 'tinpot' whilst pretending to be a bloody Brighton fan

Am I missing something here? Is the Pink'un claiming to have invented the word 'tinpot'?

I heard George Galloway refer to somebody as a 'tinpot dictator' just last week. 

12 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

If ever there was anything that shows external investment is required this is it as relegation will start the cycle yet again.

I'm feeling pretty negative too Til, we agree on a lot, but be fair... that cycle only really begins if we fail to come straight back up. 

The problem is, coming straight back up is very difficult and few teams do it now. There will be two other relegated teams hoping to do the same. 

And if we do go back up what then? Could we then spend £50m or would we bank the surplus again? 

West Brom did pull this off, two or three yo-yo's and coming back up a little stronger each time. Feels like a very risky strategy though which could easily haunt us for a long time (and I'm not sure theirs was quite as planned). 

One issue with selling playing assets when in the championship to fund annual second tier losses would be that there is typically a ceiling on the value of any playing asset without experience of the top tier.

However if upon promotion you are brave enough to give your young assets - ideally initially accounted for at low value - top level experience and exposure, then you are enshrining future book profits. 

Strategically I would suggest this is designed to maximise club strength in year one of a Championship return. 

The stated aim - from both Webber and Farke - is to ‘establish Norwich City in the top 25’. I suggest that this aim and these words were carefully chosen. 

The flaw would be that the conveyor belt of talent needs to be continuous, that is where the model hinges and pivots. It is backing itself to achieve that. 

Critics who argue it de-facto mitigates against top level success and - as a corollary - risks prolonged exposure to the Championship where all clubs make a loss, are entitled to advertise the limits of the sustainable model which cannot by self-definition take any risks that expose potential losses. 

The cost of a wealthy owner who can fund such losses in the search for success potentially comes in the loss of soul, meaning and connection at having fans in charge, people who care and love the club and who believe in a trustee model that places survival ahead of success. It also might not work even with more money. 

The counterpoint to that is of course that ‘this is the life we have chosen’ and if you choose to sit at a poker game with an expensive buy in, you should not complain if your opponents bet you out of the pot.

Your choice is to be proud of a Club doing things caringly, with pride, love and decency - a very rare thing in football - or wish for a significant new owner fortune that would see us - despite significant injection - maybe not win maybe 20 games a season in the top tier rather than not win 28 or so.

Real trophy success is pretty rare and treading water in the Premier League just isn’t that exciting for anyone after a while is it?

Is it possible that the highs and lows of promotion and relegation is as good as it realistically gets?

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

However if upon promotion you are brave enough to give your young assets - ideally initially accounted for at low value - top level experience and exposure, then you are enshrining future book profits. 

Ah, so that's how we got £8m for Jason Shackell after his impressive debut season! 

I personally doubt that Godfrey and Lewis have impressed enough to add value, possibly the opposite. People on here were talking about Godfrey being worth £30m in the summer; I think Jack O'Connell will have more scouts watching him right now. 

Max Aarons probably has secured his future in this league though, he generally hasn't looked out of place in this division and is 2 years younger than Godfrey and Lewis. All of the other young players, including Buendia, have got it all left to prove if we're going be offered serious 'no brainer' money. 

I suspect fans will be disappointed by some of the fees if we do feel under pressure to sell. 

Max Aarons the only one right now that we'd get a £20m+ bid for from a top 6/7 club in the January window. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I know strikers go for more but when you think the the Blades had to pay £20M for McBurnie then the transfer fees are highly inflated. So should we have to cash in I guess we are still looking at recouping what we lost last season.

Of course it doesn't guarantee anything as we were a selling club right from the late 80's and we didn't always fare well. However, the 92 side had several home grown so as with last season, there is an even chance.