Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

Team for Watford

Recommended Posts

Krul

Aarons     Amadou     Godfrey     Lewis

Tettey     Leitner

Buendia     Stiepermann     Hernandez

Pukki

 

Even with confidence fairly low, we shouldn't have any fear of an injury-hit Watford at home. Get back to what we do well. I'm sure DF has considered trying out Byram, Famewo or Lewis at CB and believes Amadou or Tetts is the best we can do at the moment. Bring Moritz back deeper alongside a competent CDM. Stieps has something to prove after being recently benched. This could be a good game for him to get going. I'm sure Buendia knows better than anyone where his decision-making can improve from the last day. That team is arguably only a Zimm/Klose away from our strongest 11. This could be the game to kick-start some positive momentum!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, shefcanary said:

It's only Watford. 

I'm really hoping these words don't come back to haunt us!

They are improving. It's going to be as tough as any other game in the Prem!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


                              Krul

aarons          Godfrey.   Famewo   Lewis

               Tettey               Amadou

Drmic             Buendia           Hernandez

                        Pukki

                  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If everyone is fit it has to be:

                      Krul

aarons     Amadou    Godfrey   Lewis

               Tettey              Leitner

 Buendia                                    Cantwell

                            Drimic
                     
                             Pukki
 

with Hernandez on for the last 30 minutes for impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Krul

Aarons     Amadou     Godfrey     Lewis

Tettey     Leitner

Buendia     Stiepermann     Hernandez

Pukki

This is what I think it'll be, if everyone is fit of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Amadou will come back into defence and the front 4 stay the same. 

As for the middle I think Tettey is the most likely, to be partnered by Trybull or McLean. I think Leitner is the least likely for us to see in there.

It isn't so much the personnel IMO, it's how well we retain our identity on the pitch. Watch highlights of Man City and compare with highlights of Brighton- in the former, we're more compact and confident, with players being given at least one short passing option at all times in possession. Against Brighton we see far less in terms of wanting the ball and giving short options, meaning we hang onto the ball too long and lose it or fruitlessly kick long- either way a patched-up and inexperienced defence is under pressure most of the time, which is asking for trouble.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/11/2019 at 22:24, paddycanary said:

Krul

Aarons     Amadou     Godfrey     Lewis

Tettey     Leitner

Buendia     Stiepermann     Hernandez

Pukki

Exactly this for me to, best available IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect we will start 4231.   

The defence will look more solid with Amadou back place as the only change.  The flanks remain a concern (Jamal looked better going forward at the weekend but also defensively struggled - while Max was quieter all round and not yet back to his best) so Byram could feel hard done by at not coming in for either Max or Jamal (Max going left)  - but I expect them to retain their spaces. 

At CDM Tettey will regain his space and (for me the hardest selection for DF) the question is who partners him.   He worked well with Leitner last season,  who is far more positive on the ball,  moves it faster, more likely than break a press and twice as likely to create a chance than the other options.  Mclean for me is too slow on the ball (too many touches, not often progressive enough) and why we have struggled to break through a press - what he does bring is an aerial presence - no one fit wins more headers which is a huge gap we have - and he did well against Citeh with Tettey when deep..  Trybull is the middle path - but wins significantly more tackles per game than the other two - that Kenny wins the same tackles as Leitner is a problem for me.    All three have valid claims - my personal preference is for Leither as he is the better attacking option in a game we want to win,  but the others defensive attributes could hold sway.

 

In attacking midfield for me the only question is who partners Buendia & Onel.   Roberts & Mario (fitness, injury recurrence concern starts on bench) are not starting options & I didnt see enough to start Todd again;  drmic & srbeny also seem unlikely  so probably start with Steipi for a little physicality keeps his place.

 

Up top Pukki keeps his place - despite some calls to drop him to the bench - we just need to get him more involved and feed him. Nothing we have seen from Drmic or Srbeny suggests they will do better.

 

So paddys line up seems solid for me

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well argued ZLF. Leitner is the key; he needs to be given a chance in his best position & then take it. I think we all know he has the ability but not necessarily enough grit & determination to cut it in the PL. Here's hoping he can rise to the occasion (if selected).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank Ron 

 

The other option could be Kenny in place of Stiepermann in the three.   I think he isnt the best defensively but he wins more tackles per game than Stiepermann and currently wins more headers - whether that is because Kenny is up against midfielders while Marco faces CBs is a valid question - but it may be that Kenny could offer an alternative.      If he can work the press with Pukki and improve his chance creation (where Stiepi is better) then he could be a viable option there.   Not sure he has done enough to convince me there yet - but its plausible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Krul

Krul Krul Krul Krul

Krul Krul Krul Krul

Krul Pukki

you really think we should go 442?😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Krul

Krul Krul Krul Krul

Krul Krul Krul Krul

Krul Pukki

The Goat hasn't really earned his corn over the last few weeks. Maybe he needs a breather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How could Vrancic possibly start when players who have games under their belts are not being given a chance. Roberts is one who I would like to see. Also at home a chance to play a different be team with full support behind them. My team. 

Krul

Aaron's Famewo Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Tettey

Roberts Buendia Hernandez

Pukki

 

Subs Vrancic Drmic McLean Cantwell Fahrmann Byram Stiepermann

 

Shakes it up a bit .

 

Thoughts ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, canarycop said:

How could Vrancic possibly start when players who have games under their belts are not being given a chance. Roberts is one who I would like to see. Also at home a chance to play a different be team with full support behind them. My team. 

Krul

Aaron's Famewo Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Tettey

Roberts Buendia Hernandez

Pukki

 

Subs Vrancic Drmic McLean Cantwell Fahrmann Byram Stiepermann

 

Shakes it up a bit .

 

Thoughts ?

Missed Leitner but possibly for Tettey in starting  11. Tettey bench and give Todd a rest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go with the usual 4-2-3-1. Krul; Aarons, Tettey, Godfrey, Lewis; Leitner, Amadou; Buendia, Stiepermann, Hernandez; Pukki.

The obvious thing that probably stands out is that I've put Tettey at centre back and Amadou in midfield. My thought process is that whilst Amadou had great games against Man City and Bournemouth, he also had poor games against Burnley, Palace, Villa and Man Utd. Both Tettey and Amadou are midfielders by trade, but Tettey has looked more assured at centre back.

I'd go with a positive mentality for this one because it's one where we have to target three points and may well be expected to get them, which is a rarity at the moment. I'd instruct the players to go back to the basics of last season, which would mean the full backs being more positive and also everyone having the confidence in their ability to play a more patient game. Too often against Man Utd and Brighton we saw players panicking a little bit in possession and playing early, direct balls into space for Pukki to chase or longer passes into his feet when he's on the halfway line and isolated. We need to go back to being more patient, dominating possession and building our attacks more carefully.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We desperately need a win, not just for points but for the morale it would bring. I'd even prefer a 3-2 defeat over a 0-0 draw I think, at least it would prove we can score and bring some belief passion back to the club. Watford at home is also likely the easiest game we'll have this season, so if there's any game to let Famewo prove himself it's this one - A new contract means he's clearly seen as a big part of the future, and playing Tettey and Amadou at the back just isn't working, it's quite clear now. Inexperienced-but-trained-in that-role must surely now trump experienced-but-out-of-position.  A Tettey/Amadou screen in front of the back 4 would also be far more impressive - It's finally time to see them playing alongside one another. I think they'll work very well together and make life difficult for Watford to break through. I also feel we've been lacking something in the middle linking the defensive side to the more attacking elements -  we were guilty of loose balls and uncontrolled passes in the middle third far too many times against Brighton, so Instead of playing 3 directly behind Pukki which hasn't worked for several weeks now, let's play Leitner (or Vrancic if he's fit enough or coming on after an hour if not) in a deeper role where he can create more opportunities and dictate the play a bit; and have Buendia and Hernandez to come inside more - They'll both naturally drift out wider anyhow and we have width provided by Aarons and Lewis's ability to get forward. 

 

                              Krul

Aarons    Godfrey    Famewo    Lewis

              Tettey                Amadou

                            Leitner

           Buendia            Hernandez

                           Pukki

Subs : Fahrmann, Byram, Vrancic, Trybull, Stiepermann, Cantwell, Drmic

We'd need Trybull to cover the DM role if either Tettey or Amadou had to drop back into defence for another injury or if Famewo proved way off the pace, so, unfortunately, McLean misses out for me despite doing nothing particularly wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the midfield battle will be key. If we can win that then I’m confident we can go on and win the game. I’ve had a look at the Watford forums and they have been playing a 5-3-2 formation recently but their fans are hoping Flores will switch it up and go more attacking for this game. Watford have Doucoure and potentially Capoue who is coming back from injury available for Friday and they’re a couple of big, physical players so I think it’s essential we have at least one of Amadou or Tettey playing in the middle to counteract that with either Byram or Famewo if Farke thinks he’s ready playing at centre half. If they stick to 5-3-2 then it may be worth playing 3-5-2 for this game and outnumber them in midfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Jpootz said:

Watford have Doucoure and potentially Capoue who is coming back from injury available for Friday

Sounds like Deeney is also likely to be fit, possibly only from the bench, but he poses a threat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

We desperately need a win, not just for points but for the morale it would bring. I'd even prefer a 3-2 defeat over a 0-0 draw I think, at least it would prove we can score and bring some belief passion back to the club. Watford at home is also likely the easiest game we'll have this season, so if there's any game to let Famewo prove himself it's this one - A new contract means he's clearly seen as a big part of the future, and playing Tettey and Amadou at the back just isn't working, it's quite clear now. Inexperienced-but-trained-in that-role must surely now trump experienced-but-out-of-position.  A Tettey/Amadou screen in front of the back 4 would also be far more impressive - It's finally time to see them playing alongside one another. I think they'll work very well together and make life difficult for Watford to break through. I also feel we've been lacking something in the middle linking the defensive side to the more attacking elements -  we were guilty of loose balls and uncontrolled passes in the middle third far too many times against Brighton, so Instead of playing 3 directly behind Pukki which hasn't worked for several weeks now, let's play Leitner (or Vrancic if he's fit enough or coming on after an hour if not) in a deeper role where he can create more opportunities and dictate the play a bit; and have Buendia and Hernandez to come inside more - They'll both naturally drift out wider anyhow and we have width provided by Aarons and Lewis's ability to get forward. 

 

                              Krul

Aarons    Godfrey    Famewo    Lewis

              Tettey                Amadou

                            Leitner

           Buendia            Hernandez

                           Pukki

Subs : Fahrmann, Byram, Vrancic, Trybull, Stiepermann, Cantwell, Drmic

We'd need Trybull to cover the DM role if either Tettey or Amadou had to drop back into defence for another injury or if Famewo proved way off the pace, so, unfortunately, McLean misses out for me despite doing nothing particularly wrong.

....not overly sure a 3-2 defeat at home to the bottom side would be better  than a 0-0 ?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Krul

Krul Krul Krul Krul

Krul Krul Krul Krul

Krul Pukki

That's funny, from what I've seen and heard of Watford this season they will be using the same system, but with Foster in place of Krul :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, canarycop said:

How could Vrancic possibly start when players who have games under their belts are not being given a chance. Roberts is one who I would like to see. Also at home a chance to play a different be team with full support behind them. My team. 

Krul

Aaron's Famewo Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Tettey

Roberts Buendia Hernandez

Pukki

 

Subs Vrancic Drmic McLean Cantwell Fahrmann Byram Stiepermann

 

Shakes it up a bit .

 

Thoughts ?

My overriding thought is that now I want to see Aaron’s Famewo

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/11/2019 at 19:31, paddycanary said:

The Goat hasn't really earned his corn over the last few weeks. Maybe he needs a breather

Fair enough. Perhaps give Pukki a rest on the bench, and bring him on for the last twenty minutes... I'd go with this:

Krul

Krul Krul Krul Krul

Krul Krul Krul Krul

Krul Krul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×