Sign in to follow this  
Darth Vadis

Famewo new contract

Obviously thought of quite highly by the club, surely he can’t do any worse in defence than what we’ve got at the moment? Would allow Amadou to push into his natural position.

Can quite easily ruin a young players career by playing them at the wrong time and even if he was deemed ready for the Prem i'm not sure they'd put him in during a time when the pressure is as high and the team confidence as low.

Farke has been very good at integrating young players so not sure why people suddenly think he's keeping them out for the fun of it.

• Like 2

From Luton and Grimsby straight into the firing line in the Premier League would be quite the trial by fire.

Mind you, we are desperate.

Edited by Carn

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Can quite easily ruin a young players career by playing them at the wrong time and even if he was deemed ready for the Prem i'm not sure they'd put him in during a time when the pressure is as high and the team confidence as low.

Farke has been very good at integrating young players so not sure why people suddenly think he's keeping them out for the fun of it.

I agree but he’s 20 isn’t he? At that age really should be pushing the likes of a Tettey or Amadou for a start in his natural position, shouldn’t he? Especially if he’s just extending his contract.

We’ve got nothing to lose by playing him in at CB and Amadou in his rightful holding position in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Indy said:

I agree but he’s 20 isn’t he? At that age really should be pushing the likes of a Tettey or Amadou for a start in his natural position, shouldn’t he? Especially if he’s just extending his contract.

We’ve got nothing to lose by playing him in at CB and Amadou in his rightful holding position in my opinion.

We've got three points to lose. And that could be absolutely crucial.

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

We've got three points to lose. And that could be absolutely crucial.

True, but it's not like Tettey and Amadou have actually looked very good at CB is it...?

Just now, Ian said:

True, but it's not like Tettey and Amadou have actually looked very good at CB is it...?

Yes, but we have absolutely no idea if he's up to doing a job in the PL. He's never played above L2 level. 

Tettey and Amadou may not be good enough, but I suspect they're closer than anyone else we've got (though I wonder if Byram might be as good, which would free up one of the above for MF).

I do wonder if timing of the announcement is to give the lad a huge confidence boost to have him fired up and ready to start on Friday

Sorry guys, I take the notion that you lose too much from midfield by playing the best DM in the back four who struggles as CB, a Tettey looked lost Saturday, admittedly from highlights on TV but looked very poor.

So if we don’t play natural position players but try to fit players in we’ve not got three points to lose anyway from past performances!

Play those who are fit in their best positions!

Tough tough tough one to call, for whatever reason,  DF has not put Famewo on to the pitch for the senior team yet, despite our  troubles at the centre of defence.  The lad must have a future ( value) with us, hence the contract. Maybe the two things are unconnected,  it was the right time to offer him a new contract , nothing more to it than  that  .  Either way,  fair play to him, to have your contract  extended at such a critical age in your development  as a player, with a Premier league Club is a major  boost for him. I suppose we'll  see in the next game or two  whether he's in the frame for game time . 

Well there is 3 points to lose but we seem good at that in every game we play. We need to risk him in my view and play Amadou where he should be playing.

Famewo is actually older than Aarons and only a few months younger than Godfrey. We're **** footing around with him when we are desparate for cover at CB. 

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So following this logic, no Premier League club would ever sign anyone from a lower league then!!

PL clubs do this all the time. Very few make the grade, & if they do they're usually eased in (unless they look exceptional).

We have no idea what he'd be like in the PL. The manager is the best placed to make a judgement if he's ready yet.

• Like 1

We have nothing to lose by giving him a go.

It's not as though the alternatives we have tried for weeks now are watertight.

Get him in alongside Godfrey.

You never know until you try

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

We have nothing to lose by giving him a go.

It's not as though the alternatives we have tried for weeks now are watertight.

Get him in alongside Godfrey.

You never know until you try

This, if Amadou is still injured for Watford, allowing Tettey into midfield.

2 minutes ago, Grando said:

This, if Amadou is still injured for Watford, allowing Tettey into midfield.

And if he turns out to be at Franke's level? Or worse? And he concedes a couple of goals because he's not up to it?

There's some sort of collective panic induced madness going on here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We don't hand out these contracts unless they are earned and deserved. I also understand Famewo has been training with the first team for some time. I really hope he's given the chance. I think he will be.

• Like 3

Tettey looked completely lost on sat, tried valiantly but looked a fish out of water.

I find it astonishing that fans think the coaching staff have not considered the alternatives and at least tried them out on the training ground.  If Byram or famewo were ready & better than tettey they would be starting. Do we trust they coaches that little already?  Madness

But back to topic, it is good news that another player is coming through to warrant a long contract and bodes well for the futute

Edited by ZLF
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

And if he turns out to be at Franke's level? Or worse? And he concedes a couple of goals because he's not up to it?

There's some sort of collective panic induced madness going on here.

Like we’ve not been conceding 2 goals a game with Tettey or Amadou in the back four!

The reality is sure up the midfield and stop the pressure on the back four, free up our attacking three midfielders to create chances for poor old Pukki!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Like we’ve not been conceding 2 goals a game with Tettey or Amadou in the back four!

The reality is sure up the midfield and stop the pressure on the back four, free up our attacking three midfielders to create chances for poor old Pukki!

Agreed and felt it for a long time

Give Amadou a chance to boost his confidence and play in a position where he can show us why Sevilla bought him and why he was captain at Lille.

He has to play DM and have a better midfield shielding our defence.

As said earlier Trybull was bypassed throughout the whole game on Saturday. So hope changes happen that allow Amadou in his rightful position.

• Like 1

It's pretty desperate typical football fan argument to say "x player couldnt do any worse"

When it's quite simply not true, and oddly enough if Farke thought the same he would be playing. And I reckon Farke knows more than you lot. He certainly knows more than those who havent even seen the bloody player play.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's pretty desperate typical football fan argument to say "x player couldnt do any worse"

When it's quite simply not true, and oddly enough if Farke thought the same he would be playing. And I reckon Farke knows more than you lot. He certainly knows more than those who havent even seen the bloody player play.

No doubt and I have a feeling he’ll be starting Friday Hoggy.

Its just a discussion, pretty much peoples opinions and I have little doubt Tettey being an experienced player will be the safer option in Farkes mind, but we know he’s not scared to give youth the chance, this game might just be the right game.

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You ****s don't like change do you. Dear me.

It's not like we're bottom 2 after all.

Why don't we just play the U23s then. Plenty of change there - nailed on victory!

If Fam was played, and Am and Tettey were played together in midfield, wouldn't that give a fair amount of protection.

It might also allow to more freely going foward???? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

Why don't we just play the U23s then. Plenty of change there - nailed on victory!

No point in being so touchy, no one is saying mass changes but it’s crystal clear we’re better with Tettey in that holding role, Amadou was bought in as a step up on Tettey so this area must have been a point where Farke identified as must have.

Without one of those two there we look very toothless and venerable at the back.

If they’re both fit then I’m for Amadou as CB and Tettey DM, solved!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Ordinarily Ron, I would fully agree with what you are saying, but we don't have a single senior fit centre-back and are reduced to playing players there who really are like fishes out of water.

However, I do take your point that Farke isn't exactly reticent to play younger players so perhaps Famewo isn't going to make the grade - but if that's the case why give him a new contract?

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

If Fam was played, and Am and Tettey were played together in midfield, wouldn't that give a fair amount of protection.

It might also allow to more freely going foward???? 

Exactly - see my suggested line-up in the "now for something completely different thread"

Farke knows more than everyone on this forum combined about managing a football club and that includes the right time to introduce young players. Think it’s best we leave it to him.