Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

Interesting Comments By DF

“It’s more enjoyable when you have the tools in order to work a bit in tactical terms. If I am honest, we will never have the possibility and the tools of the settled teams in the Premier League. We are favourites for position 20 and we are still in the position where the gap to the positions where you want to be is not too big.”

On potential January window business DF admitted “If I am really  honest, if we had the possibility we would have brought them already in the summer because we are not naive and if you can add some quality to stay in this league you should....., After having so many injuries you would have wanted to do more but in the summer to sign more quality it would have cost £10 million or £15 million to do that and it was not possible.”

It seems the club is ready for relegation but hope improvement in the injury situation might still save the day.

3 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

After having so many injuries you would have wanted to do more but in the summer to sign more quality it would have cost £10 million or £15 million to do that and it was not possible.”

🤔 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Who is tying the hands there? It's like an admission the club does not have the money to compete in the top league.

I wonder if we should play with the attitude we're already relegated?

So many teams play better once in this position. It gives them the freedom to play without pressure, the nerves have gone, every games a free hit.

We need to play the way we did against Arsenal & Chelsea in the cups. We have a better team now (defensive injuries apart) & with those levels of commitment we could get decent results.

Max & Jamal have stopped getting forward because of fear. It only makes it worse. We're continually under the cosh, & it's because of the sort of false confidence I've seen us play with so many times before, pretending there's nothing wrong when there obviously is.

It's the paradox set up by 'it's the hope that kills you'. You have to abandon hope, to relax, you're down so to hell with it, just play the best way you know how & bvgger the consequences.

As a plan it's far from cunning, but it might just work ...

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter who made the decision. Everyone agreed to it. They all signed new contracts and pledged their future knowing the circumstances.

I much prefer to hear this than a coach saying he isn't getting the backing, someone like any Newcastle coach, when they knew the circumstances.

I don't agree we are relegated yet. It is going to be tough but it is up to the players to play to their best and if their best, on any day, is better than the opposition then we have a chance.

35 minutes ago, king canary said:

🤔 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Surely if the right player was available in January (and by that I mean young enough to have re-sale value, fits into the squad ethic and would substantially improve the starting eleven) for £12 million - we have the capability of paying that? I understand the club ethics that Webber is putting in place means we don't do that to solve every problem but if a certain right player turned up surely we wouldn't ignore it?

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Surely if the right player was available in January (and by that I mean young enough to have re-sale value, fits into the squad ethic and would substantially improve the starting eleven) for £12 million - we have the capability of paying that? I understand the club ethics that Webber is putting in place means we don't do that to solve every problem but if a certain right player turned up surely we wouldn't ignore it?

Who knows.

I, personally, would be very surprised if there wasn't a player who could have improved our squad available for those types of fees this summer but we didn't make any of those types of moves.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I thought you understood 'the model', that's what you say to me whenever I'm critical of our lack of spending. 

The plan is to bring through 7 world class Norfolk born players at the same time (maximum height 5ft 10) become the next Barcelona and create a Norfolk international team. 

That's 'the model' according to the deluded. When I dare suggest we buy promising 20/21/22 year olds and polish them up like Celtic you kept talking about 'the model'.

Spending money does not fit 'the model' Hogeser, stay on message! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Who knows.

I, personally, would be very surprised if there wasn't a player who could have improved our squad available for those types of fees this summer but we didn't make any of those types of moves.

Of course we could have a found a number 10 better than Leitner or Stiepermann for £10m... That's why they cost £3.5m between them at reported price. You get what you pay for. 

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

“It’s more enjoyable when you have the tools in order to work a bit in tactical terms. If I am honest, we will never have the possibility and the tools of the settled teams in the Premier League. We are favourites for position 20 and we are still in the position where the gap to the positions where you want to be is not too big.”

On potential January window business DF admitted “If I am really  honest, if we had the possibility we would have brought them already in the summer because we are not naive and if you can add some quality to stay in this league you should....., After having so many injuries you would have wanted to do more but in the summer to sign more quality it would have cost £10 million or £15 million to do that and it was not possible.”

It seems the club is ready for relegation but hope improvement in the injury situation might still save the day.

"We will never have"

11th and 12th placed finished in this league this decade. Now do people see the lack of ambition? 

Keeping the money so Tom Smith can sustain the club (with a summer fire sale) in the league below. 

"we will never have the possibility and the tools" Indeed it's these kind of comments that convince me that relegation will be the most possible outcome. I hate to be this negative, but it is the way it is... They're not going to spend money and we have a depleted squad.

Keeping the money so Tom Smith can sustain the club (with a summer fire sale) in the league below. 

If you can't keep it sensible then nobody will respect your opinions. We do not have to sell any players. If they want to leave and play for a better team or even higher wages then good luck to them. But it is about running the club properly and avoiding any crisis.
There is a Football Distress Report that gives an in depth look at the financial crisis that is always bubbling under the surface and it doesn't paint a particularly rosy picture.
If the EPL is all that interests some people then I think it is a shallow attitude. And I don't mean it rudely just plainly.
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We haven’t got any money to spend on new players . Forget the 100 M from Sky because it’s staggered payments . 

Transfers are also paid as staggered payments

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Transfers are also paid as staggered payments

Don’t tell people that ! Hopefully the lad from West Ham wasn’t £750,000 upfront then .

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We haven’t got any money to spend on new players . Forget the 100 M from Sky because it’s staggered payments . 

Most transfer fees are also staggered payments so not relevant. 

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If you can't keep it sensible then nobody will respect your opinions. We do not have to sell any players. If they want to leave and play for a better team or even higher wages then good luck to them. But it is about running the club properly and avoiding any crisis.
There is a Football Distress Report that gives an in depth look at the financial crisis that is always bubbling under the surface and it doesn't paint a particularly rosy picture.
If the EPL is all that interests some people then I think it is a shallow attitude. And I don't mean it rudely just plainly.

To be fair you can argue it both ways. Of course it is difficult to argue with running the club "sustainably" as a guiding principle and I don't think that many of us would ever suggest moving too far away from that model (they are more advocating having more resource which in increases how much you can spend/risk whilst still operating sustainably). However, it is also the only way they can afford to retain their ownership of the football club to hand it down to little Tommy (that is if he has time to do it whilst running his burgeoning photography business).

Farke's comments are quite depressing really because they show quite clearly how our "glass ceiling" has been lowered.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I thought you understood 'the model', that's what you say to me whenever I'm critical of our lack of spending. 

The plan is to bring through 7 world class Norfolk born players at the same time (maximum height 5ft 10) become the next Barcelona and create a Norfolk international team. 

That's 'the model' according to the deluded. When I dare suggest we buy promising 20/21/22 year olds and polish them up like Celtic you kept talking about 'the model'.

Spending money does not fit 'the model' Hogeser, stay on message! 

Unlike you I don't see us lose a few games and suddenly go to one extreme regarding our 'model'.

I'm fully behind our 'model' - and certainly our plan isn't to bring through 7 world class Norfolk born players because we spent a lot of the summer trying to identify young players across the continent, and signed one or two if I remember correctly.

My hope is that the model allows for one or two premium (for us) signings if they're the right player in the right age bracket and certainly Webber seems to hint that is entirely plausible. Farke is probably playing down expectation to reduce the pressure on his players, which you'd expect.

It is definitely the model they as owners want and as long as a large majority of our fans are happy with this then there will be no pressure to relinquish control. It will be interesting if people are so accepting when Tom Smith takes control and whether he has different ideas. 

Must say it's really depressing when we listen to our manager stating that we can not spend £10 /£15m given the guaranteed money from being in the top flight and how he finds that a real burden to achievinf safety in this league. The likes of Burnely / Bournemouth seem to find a way without jeopardising the future of the club. 

But this was probably to be expected given previous experiences

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

"Little Tommy" Jimbo?

Is that because you judge people's stature by your understanding of their wealth?

I have no idea of his wealth Nutty not that I think its really relevant yet (may be more so when he is our owner). Its simply a tongue in cheek reference to the fact he is Delia's young nephew.

No doubt photographers earn a decent crust these days if they are in demand.

The model is fine but any model still needs money to make it turn. We're really not that different to how Southampton used to operate- buy low, sell high and sprinkle in some products from the youth team. Yet they realised you can't buy quite as low as we have tried. Some shrewd signings in the £10-15m area can turn into £40-50m when sold on. You're highly unlikely to turn a £1m player into a £20-25m at this level though.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

My nephew is bigger than me...

Has he got a few million quid to spare?

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Has he got a few million quid to spare?

He'd sell more hoovers than you and Jimbo put together.

We’re hilarious really. When we’re winning there’s an apparent togetherness, unity and pride that we did it against the odds; didn’t go down the tried and tested “bullocks to FFP, let’s spend it anyway and if we get promoted it doesn’t matter”. Yet for all the joy and happiness at winning the title, for some it was through gritted teeth. On the one hand their team had won the league, on the other it AGAIN demonstrated some sort of justification for Smith and her cost-neutral approach. How many more times can she possibly get lucky?

Here we are, looking decidedly ropey having again chosen to live within our means and the clenched teeth are now gnashing again. No ambition, no plan B, no money, where’s it all gone? 

Becchio Syndrome is also back in full flight with anyone not playing an obvious and immediate upgrade on somebody that is; what does Patrick Roberts have to do to get a game instead of that moany little git Buendia? 

Can’t be long until the Times article is dragged up and the “clubs not for sale” brigade reunite for a comeback tour. Perhaps they could support Westlife? 

They’ve got plenty of money. 

Edited by Duncan Edwards
  • Like 5

To be fair , this board gets much more interesting when we are losing. The pious , the moany, the "I told you so's" , those that know more about football (or accounting) than professionals, those with encyclopaedic knowledge on all football contracts, the sky deal,  tactics , Fifa 2020 , who we did or didn't try and sign , is great isn't it? I think this is the highlight at the moment. I'm glad I binned my Brighton ticket. 

I might leave early from the Watford game. 

I remember when we were a well run Club. June I think it was. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

So in fairness to Farke and the fans this type of admission from Farke needs to be put to bed as it just riles the fans, looks like Farke having a slight dig at his limitations imposed on him.

It starts to stink a little just as we are coming up to the next transfer window is Farke protecting himself from the poor form by blaming the limited tools supplied by the club or is he trying to apply pressure by saying this knowing the fans will react to the limited spending?