Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

11 out of 27

A poster has indicated that there are 27 games left and we need to win 11 of them to stay up. Sorry if that’s about what ‘s needed I just can’t see it happening 

Just now, hogesar said:

If it makes you feel better 9 wins and a couple draws would probs do it

As we’ve already won two another 7 and some draws could be enough

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

That would give us about 31 points which would easily see us down.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

That would give us about 31 points which would easily see us down.

Not if we draw six as well

55 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I would have thought that it was pretty obvious that OP means that we need to win 9 from now on and not 9 in total

Edited by Making Plans

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

I would have thought that it was pretty obvious that OP means that we need to win 9 from now on and not 9 in total

That’s fine, but it doesn’t mean he’s right does it ? 😉

Carol Vorderman says that 7 wins and 4 draws from now on gets us 25 points.

Add that to the 7 we already have and that gets us to 32 points.

Although she's not an expert on football she reckons that 32 points would mean certain relegation.

17 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This thread appears to be degenerating into some sort of primary school maths lesson.

itz maffs karnt hue spel!

We'll just throw the towel in now then shall we?

"Sorry, Premier League, we're just not up for you. Lots of people would rather we play in the Championship for some weird reason. Can you pleeeeease take us back EFL??"

You're right it's a concern, Ron,  and we are kind of adrift from the comfy mid-table (almost 2 wins) . As for the bottom 4 or 5, 17th place (Everton) this season is achieving 1 point a game - much higher than at this point last season, where our current points tally would have us in 16th.

So, at this stage, you could tentatively predict that 38+ points are needed. And, of course, you need to aim a little higher. This looks like the season where the magical / mythical 40 is the reality.

In one respect, we have been lucky that the awful injury situation has hit us during a period where there have only been 3 games a month  - only 9 games between end of August and beginning of December. On the assumption that we fare much better with injuries from December (7 games in December alone) onwards, I think we have a chance of rediscovering our form and confidence. We have shown glimpses  already, and we have yet in any game been able to field our strongest defense/ defensive midfield.

no more injuries, Zimm back fighting fit by beginning of December, 10-12 more points by early Jan, we might have a sniff 

Still I'm proud of the team, especially with the 3 youngsters at the back, and how they tried to cope with recent adversities, with players playing through  sickness and being nowhere near fully fit  I know it can't have been easy for the loyal away support this season, and easy for me to say watching from the comfort of my armchair. 

4 minutes ago, makham said:

You're right it's a concern, Ron,  and we are kind of adrift from the comfy mid-table (almost 2 wins) . As for the bottom 4 or 5, 17th place (Everton) this season is achieving 1 point a game - much higher than at this point last season, where our current points tally would have us in 16th.

So, at this stage, you could tentatively predict that 38+ points are needed. And, of course, you need to aim a little higher. This looks like the season where the magical / mythical 40 is the reality.

In one respect, we have been lucky that the awful injury situation has hit us during a period where there have only been 3 games a month  - only 9 games between end of August and beginning of December. On the assumption that we fare much better with injuries from December (7 games in December alone) onwards, I think we have a chance of rediscovering our form and confidence. We have shown glimpses  already, and we have yet in any game been able to field our strongest defense/ defensive midfield.

no more injuries, Zimm back fighting fit by beginning of December, 10-12 more points by early Jan, we might have a sniff 

Still I'm proud of the team, especially with the 3 youngsters at the back, and how they tried to cope with recent adversities, with players playing through  sickness and being nowhere near fully fit  I know it can't have been easy for the loyal away support this season, and easy for me to say watching from the comfort of my armchair. 

There isn't many really poor teams this season- just Watford and I still feel they've got the quality to get better results.

I'd feel more confident if we were losing close games- but right now I think Palace is maybe the only game you could make an argument that we deserved a point.

• Like 1

Next 10 games to Jan 1st are:

Home - Watford, Arsenal, Sheff U, Wolves, Spurs, Palace

Away - Everton, Southampton, Leicester, Villa

10-12 points from these games looks very challenging to me and I consider myself an optimist.

It looks like the top 4 (points gap) and bottom 3 (negative double digit goal difference) are established.  

In fact might be worth a Pups bet if there is one available.

Edited by wooster

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

We'll just throw the towel in now then shall we?

"Sorry, Premier League, we're just not up for you. Lots of people would rather we play in the Championship for some weird reason. Can you pleeeeease take us back EFL??"

Never a true word spoken in jest......

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Never a true word spoken in jest......

I mean... I don't get why there are people hankering to be back in the Champs. There is only a couple of places to go from there... League One or The Prem. We're already in the latter.

I do get the frustration, believe me. But some of the comments I've read (not necessarily here but on FB groups etc.) are beyond stultifyingly stupid.

What has changed? I feel we've slightly abandoned our game from last season to become more defensively resolute but I can't remember a Norwich side in recent years (since perhaps Hughton was in charge) that were actually any good at defending. Our best form of defence has come from attack. But we just don't have the confidence to do this now. It's such a shame to witness, as we went up as champions and played some fabulous football in the process.

Point is. A lot of us thought our current crop could compete and were fully behind the new Norwich 'way'. People were saying we didn't need to make big money signings. Don't get hamstrung financially again. I get that and was also fully behind it. The investment in youth and our academy is the right way to go about things, as it's potentially safeguarding us for the the future.

Now, though, we have looked so devoid of confidence it's untrue. None of the signings we've made have been able to guarantee a starting berth in our first 11 and it looks as though the project has gone awry.

Where Webber and co will earn their money is convincing the fans that it hasn't.

Unfortunately, the way we are on the pitch has a direct correlation to the reason a lot fans think we're already out of the picture, not what's going on behind the scenes, and I am also slightly struggling with seeing where we'll get wins from. Something needs to give and soon. If we lose against Watford on Friday I can see things turning pretty nasty (as if they haven't already!)

Agree with the above, although I would point out we only actually signed one player permanently (Byram) & he's looked OK, certainly good backup, & Amadou has been indispensable.

36 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

If we lose against Watford on Friday I can see things turning pretty nasty (as if they haven't already!)

Well that would be a shame on both counts. 

Building up a game too much can have the wrong effect on proceedings. Watford are struggling at the moment, but that may be temporary and if we want to stay in the division we will need to pick up points throughout the season, not just against Watford.

I suppose what I am saying is that we should not assume we should beat Watford because they are rubbish - imo every game should be played as if we are playing world champions - and Watford still have dangerous players that can hurt any side, as we have. It will be as tough a game as any we will play this season and even if we lose, there is still time to improve. We want to win of course and it would be a great time to show we are back up and running, but the season is long, we have defenders to get back fit and players to find their form. 

You do not get relegated in November or December, there will be twists and turns this season and it wouldn't surprise me if we put together a strong run of games to put us back in the mix....but it doesn't have to strart on Friday, great if it does, but not the end of the season if it doesn't.

54 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Unfortunately, the way we are on the pitch has a direct correlation to the reason a lot fans think we're already out of the picture, not what's going on behind the scenes, and I am also slightly struggling with seeing where we'll get wins from. Something needs to give and soon. If we lose against Watford on Friday I can see things turning pretty nasty (as if they haven't already!)

The question is who does it turn against though? For me it would be pointless to start giving Farke stick- he's a good coach who is dealing with a horrid injury list and a lack of investment. 

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well that would be a shame on both counts. 

Building up a game too much can have the wrong effect on proceedings. Watford are struggling at the moment, but that may be temporary and if we want to stay in the division we will need to pick up points throughout the season, not just against Watford.

I suppose what I am saying is that we should not assume we should beat Watford because they are rubbish - imo every game should be played as if we are playing world champions - and Watford still have dangerous players that can hurt any side, as we have. It will be as tough a game as any we will play this season and even if we lose, there is still time to improve. We want to win of course and it would be a great time to show we are back up and running, but the season is long, we have defenders to get back fit and players to find their form. 

You do not get relegated in November or December, there will be twists and turns this season and it wouldn't surprise me if we put together a strong run of games to put us back in the mix....but it doesn't have to strart on Friday, great if it does, but not the end of the season if it doesn't.

If we lose against Watford, lose against Arsenal and lose at home to Sheff Utd with the latter fans ripping the **** I think that could be a turning point. Depends on how much fans believe in 'the model' versus what they see on the pitch.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

The question is who does it turn against though? For me it would be pointless to start giving Farke stick- he's a good coach who is dealing with a horrid injury list and a lack of investment. 

Not anyone directly, just general ill feeling. It happens all the time! I never boo my team and have been quite vocal when others have. But people will start with all that negativity and Carrow Road will start feeling a bit crappy.

I mean... I don't get why there are people hankering to be back in the Champs. There is only a couple of places to go from there... League One or The Prem. We're already in the latter.

I don't think it is a hankering Bob.

I dislike the Prem because it isn't just about the football. I know Manure and Liverpool have always been big clubs but it was purely on the amount of people who they got through the turnstile. And they bought from the lower divisions. And even Scotland! But today it is becoming more about the owners wealth.

I am happy with our owners and the measure of success they have had. If they decide to give it up and a wealthy owner comes in then we may well be equipped to gamble on the EPL.

At the moment, I believe any occasion we get there, like at the moment, is an incredible bonus. But really only because we have won the Championship and delight during the close season. But even when the owners have indulged the coaching staff, we haven't been able to compete.

Until something changes, and personally I am in no hurry for that, then I will have greater expectations.

I just like watching us play good, progressive, exciting football and I am not bothered who the opposition is. And I just get the feeling that too many would desert us if we weren't so comparatively successful.

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I just like watching us play good, progressive, exciting football and I am not bothered who the opposition is. And I just get the feeling that too many would desert us if we weren't so comparatively successful.

So do I which is why it's so frustrating we're not doing that. Barely a shot on goal nowadays.

So do I which is why it's so frustrating we're not doing that. Barely a shot on goal nowadays.

You are right. And there is no reason why that should be happening. Conceding yes. But that shouldn't stop us creating chances ourselves. But no-one apart from the players can remedy that. Passing it to each other would be a start. And we have stopped doing that.

3 hours ago, wooster said:

Next 10 games to Jan 1st are:

Home - Watford, Arsenal, Sheff U, Wolves, Spurs, Palace

Away - Everton, Southampton, Leicester, Villa

10-12 points from these games looks very challenging to me and I consider myself an optimist.

If you don’t think we can get some points from those games, I’m all ears to hear who’s left in this league that we can beat. 

I’d give up now and leave the rest of us to support the team if I were you.

But I didn't say I thought we couldn't get some points from those games - I said 10-12 points looks very challenging.

Where do you think we'll get 10-12 points in those 10 games?

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are right. And there is no reason why that should be happening. Conceding yes. But that shouldn't stop us creating chances ourselves. But no-one apart from the players can remedy that. Passing it to each other would be a start. And we have stopped doing that.

We're conceding & not creating chances for the same reason. We're getting hustled out of possession before we get to the half way line.

It's a downward spiral. The more it happens the less confidence we have, & it just gets worse.