Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Where is Mario?

We really need  him.  Marcus Stiepermann will, sadly, never make it in the PL.

Pukki is working as hard as ever, but need more attacking support..

Is Mario the change needed. All seems to be very quite on his injury, anyone out there has an update?

Mario Vrancic (ill)

He was ill for nearly seven days. He has been back in the last two days in team training and he is alright but this game comes a bit too soon. If he is able to train with us consistently from now on then the Watford game could be the first time he is a topic for this game.

13 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Mario Vrancic (ill)

He was ill for nearly seven days. He has been back in the last two days in team training and he is alright but this game comes a bit too soon. If he is able to train with us consistently from now on then the Watford game could be the first time he is a topic for this game.

Not played competitively since May, on top of injury, illness and no preseason. I'd be very surprised to see him feature against Watford. 

I agree with the OP though. We do need him, or at least the chance to try him. He's been a very effective player for us. I just hope he can re-discover that form and this prolonged spell on the sidelines hasn't taken anything away from him. 

Has Vrancic regularly featured in Stieperman's position? I've always thought his range of passing better suited a deeper role.

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

We really need  him.  Marcus Stiepermann will, sadly, never make it in the PL.

Pukki is working as hard as ever, but need more attacking support..

Is Mario the change needed. All seems to be very quite on his injury, anyone out there has an update?

Are you always this quick to write people off? I’m sure we could come up with a few examples of players who didn’t click immediately, Stieperman in his first season for a start.

Stieperman is crucial to how we play, when he does not play we have not out/direct ball. Is he struggling with the step up? yes. However putting a Vrancic square peg in a round hole to replace him just makes the situation worse. This group of players deserve our support this season after what was a miraculous season last year. Give them all the time they deserve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you always this quick to write people off? I’m sure we could come up with a few examples of players who didn’t click immediately, Stieperman in his first season for a start.

Especially since this is being said after Stiepermann was one of our better performers yesterday (and whoscored etc back that up)

I'm not at all convinced about Vrancic. He's got the skills, but I've always thought his style a little, er, languid. I think we need something more dynamic, & Onel is the one player coming back who can provide that.

More than happy to be proved wrong though!

I think Mario just isn't Super anymore and his arch rival and 'nemesis' 'King Koopa' has him shackled in some Sega mega drive vault surrounded by guardian baddie turtles?.....

4 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I'm not at all convinced about Vrancic. He's got the skills, but I've always thought his style a little, er, languid. I think we need something more dynamic, & Onel is the one player coming back who can provide that.

More than happy to be proved wrong though!

One man’s languid is another man’s silky.

• Like 1

If you look back at last season, Vrancic and Rhodes were important contributors with late goals coming on as substitutes.  We really could have done with Mario available to come off the bench when we're behind.  Hopefully Drmic will start to contribute some late goals too (a la Rhodes), not just consolation goals.

I don't know about Mario in the starting lineup though, we need to make sure we are keeping it solid so we're still in the game with 20 minutes to go.  Which to be fair we managed on Saturday & also away at Bournemouth we were more likely to win it than them at the end.

5 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

I think Mario just isn't Super anymore and his arch rival and 'nemesis' 'King Koopa' has him shackled in some Sega mega drive vault surrounded by guardian baddie turtles?.....

Oooh this is making the nerd in me very angry.

Super Mario wouldn't be seen dead near a megadrive. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Had it on my Gameboy......

Big fan of Mario, even if he doesn't start having him back for an option from the bench would be very helpful.

4 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

If you look back at last season, Vrancic and Rhodes were important contributors with late goals coming on as substitutes.

Should have bought Rhodes.

Not the greatest player but he was a trier, an asset to the club and was an effective sub.

Still nevermind we've now got Drmic and Srbeny 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 1

Maybe we’ll go back in for Rhodes in January?

Edited by ec-p

Mario's contribution was crucial last season and was the match winner in several key games, the Leeds away one in particular and towards the end of the season where his goals were crucial.  To me he is a big match player - and they are all big match games this season - he has the character and composure to deliver in the most difficult of matches. We need him back to add to the mix - and as soon as possible. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Oh god not this again.

Going to be honest King, I think throwing on Rhodes at points this season might have produced more than Drmic and Srbeny has, Rhodes had that knack for getting in a goal scoring position.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Going to be honest King, I think throwing on Rhodes at points this season might have produced more than Drmic and Srbeny has, Rhodes had that knack for getting in a goal scoring position.

Rhodes is certainly better than Srbeny, but I don't think he is the same class as Drmic, who has yet to show us what he can do due to such limited cameos on the pitch. Its certainly another area which needs looking at, but Rhodes for me isnt the answer.

6 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Rhodes is certainly better than Srbeny, but I don't think he is the same class as Drmic, who has yet to show us what he can do due to such limited cameos on the pitch. Its certainly another area which needs looking at, but Rhodes for me isnt the answer.

There different players though, I just feel Rhodes is that Fox in the box, put himself about character that either makes an opportunity for himself or someone else with his presence and we lack that guy to throw on when behind to make the most of corners or set plays.

It’s just an opinion, but I think I’d have felt happier with him and Drmic on the bench to throw on depending on the situation. 

Srbeny tries hard but he’s a championship 3rd/4th choice at best from what we’ve seen.

Edited by Monty13

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

There different players though, I just feel Rhodes is that Fox in the box, put himself about character that either makes an opportunity for himself or someone else with his presence and we lack that guy to throw on when behind to make the most of corners or set plays.

It’s just an opinion, but I think I’d have felt happier with him and Drmic on the bench to throw on depending on the situation. 

Srbeny tries hard but he’s a championship 3rd/4th choice at best from what we’ve seen.

He's a Championship bench warmer at best at this point.

If he's the answer I don't like the question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

He's a Championship bench warmer at best at this point.

If he's the answer I don't like the question.

Then find a different answer but the question in my mind is who do we throw on when behind to ruffle the opposition, make some space for Pukki and create opportunities like last year? because currently we don’t have an answer from what I’ve seen.

Plus I don’t think that’s fair, plenty of want away players end up bench warming. I still think he’d have been worth a punt as 3rd choice striker personally. A couple of goals and a few chances created is worth millions at this level.

• Like 1

I think Mario could be just what we need. For whatever reason Leitner just isn't producing, and Mario's passing is generally a little quicker and more forward-looking than Leitner's. At his best Leitner links the play well with simple passes and movement, but Vrancic has a much better eye for an incisive killer through pass from what I've seen. Whether we play him alongside Tettey/Amadou, or further forward as a 10, I think he'll add something a bit different. Once we have Zimbo back fit again, we could even consider having Amadou/Trybull deeper with Vrancic in a more withdrawn 8 role in front of them if we wanted more defensive solidity. 

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Then find a different answer but the question in my mind is who do we throw on when behind to ruffle the opposition, make some space for Pukki and create opportunities like last year? because currently we don’t have an answer from what I’ve seen.

Plus I don’t think that’s fair, plenty of want away players end up bench warming. I still think he’d have been worth a punt as 3rd choice striker personally. A couple of goals and a few chances created is worth millions at this level.

He's been a bench warmer for about 3 or 4 seasons now and he's never looked like a Premier League player.

I'd like to see us bring in someone like Bowen from Hull to give us a bit more pace and options to trouble defenders that way. 

I have a lot of time for Mario, when he was first in the champs he really was off the boil, he even said so himself. 
To recognise this fact publically and to make changes takes a lot and he became a very influential player.
I'm not sure how influential he'll be in the prem as he relies a lot on his passing due to his pace being a little lacking, I'm not sure he'll get the same space as he did in the Championship but I'm hopeful he proves me wrong.

I'm excited to see him back from injury and lining up in the Prem. I honestly hope he is one of the missing pieces of this season.
I think with him in Midfield alongside Tryball/Tettey/Tryball and behind Steips we'd have a good enforcer, distributor and target man throughout the spine.

I'm also counting down the days for Zimbo to get back in the line up, I think, whilst being an OK CB himself, he was brilliant at organising the whole defense which brought the best out of Godfrey, Aarons & Lewis. 

21 hours ago, king canary said:

Tell him to remove himself from your person then.

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I've said it before and I stand by it, we needed to add a big centre forward to the squad that would win headers and not let the opposing centre halves have an easy game. 

Still stuns me that Sir Benny was only good enough for the odd few mins in the Championship yet seems to be our go to player in the Premier League when we're chasing the game. 

Every team outside of the top 6 or so has one, we don't and need one. Although don't ask me who 🤷‍♂️