Sign in to follow this  
Indy

VAR Farce

I was a vocal positive voice for VAR but having seen Liverpool’s Mane get his foot lightly kicked fall over and got a yellow, rightly so for simulation as the contact was very light.....only then to see the same if not less contact on the Watford forward in their Chelsea  game, which wasn’t  given but overturned by VAR. Absolute disgrace that two identical challenges get such big different outcomes!

Time to ditch this as it’s just a farce!

It's a farce when we watch on TV. It's an absolute disgrace for the fans in the stadium.

Get rid of it or get more competent people to implement it.

• Like 2

I am watching the Palace game where the Palace player has his arm out and the ball hits it ( fairly close range ) VAR reviews no penalty, which last year is probably fair enough. This year however it’s if your arm is in an unnatural position, so surely they are either all penalties if it hits your hand or they aren’t. The consistency is so bad it needs to go now.

In addition this is just left so open to corruption I notice in this game Sky Bet were offering 7/4 a refs decision would be overturned by VAR. Cricket had a huge problem with betting being offered on things like this and banned it. At least with a refs on field decision it was always probably just getting it wrong, now it can be questioned as to why some of these decisions are given or not given.

I noticed even goal celebrations are becoming a let’s wait and see taking what made the people’s game even further from the people.

Talking of VAR there was another mystery at the Brighton game yesterday.

The screen flashed up for possible red card after an almighty first half goalmouth scramble in front of us and we thought it was a possible handball on the line by one of our players. Turns out it was for a possible ankle stamp by Maupay on I think Aarons during the melee.

No one in the ground had a clue what was going on. Perhaps they should show the alleged offence at the same time ?

It most certainly is farcical. Every goal is now being scrutinised for off side, fouls, etc etc etc. Football is a spectator sport. As the pundits state, when do a crowd celebrate their side scoring, because in so many cases they are being ruled out!

And it took a full six minutes for both VAR decisions to be given in the UTD match. It is turning spectators away from the sport, it’s ridiculous, and not required. Get rid ASAP.

Change the folk who make those decisions in their dark room ....  common sense isn't very common unfortunately.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with VAR, as mentioned earlier by others, it's those at Stockley Park/the administrators that need scrutiny. Many beers in a drink manufacturer comes to mind!

Couple of controversial VAR decisions in the Everton game right now too. Both took forever as well.

3 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

Couple of controversial VAR decisions in the Everton game right now too. Both took forever as well.

Yep, feel sorry for Song, yellow card at worst , the ensuing Injury although caused by his tackle was terrible luck all round.  12 mins et!.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Talking of VAR there was another mystery at the Brighton game yesterday.

The screen flashed up for possible red card after an almighty first half goalmouth scramble in front of us and we thought it was a possible handball on the line by one of our players. Turns out it was for a possible ankle stamp by Maupay on I think Aarons during the melee.

No one in the ground had a clue what was going on. Perhaps they should show the alleged offence at the same time ?

Worse than that they got the decision wrong. Maupay should have been sent off 

I guess it's still a spectator sport but the spectators are in the pubs or in their armchairs. They analyse the replays in real time and then judge other people analysing replays somewhere else. 

Why should we be surprised this happens when already the games kick off at times that are best for these tv spectators.

But spectators in the stadium still pay premium prices for a substandard product. Something will give in the end...

The promise of VAR was that the disruption would be a price worth paying for better accuracy and consistency but it just seems like we have the same haphazard refereeing as before just with it taking longer.

The Son penalty incident wasn’t given despite there being clear contact and then no penalty at the other end despite the ball clearly hitting Delle Ali’s arm when it was above his head. Not to mention the ref showing Son a yellow card for a trip on Gomes before going back and showing him a red once he saw Gomes had broken his ankle. Not sure if that was a VAR decision or not.

Edited by Peanuts

2 hours ago, Peanuts said:

The promise of VAR was that the disruption would be a price worth paying for better accuracy and consistency but it just seems like we have the same haphazard refereeing as before just with it taking longer.

The Son penalty incident wasn’t given despite there being clear contact and then no penalty at the other end despite the ball clearly hitting Delle Ali’s arm when it was above his head. Not to mention the ref showing Son a yellow card for a trip on Gomes before going back and showing him a red once he saw Gomes had broken his ankle. Not sure if that was a VAR decision or not.

The thing is with some there is always going to be an element of judgment - penalties, foul or no foul is still dependent on interpretation (unless we go to full no contact sport). So for me it should be the on-field ref reviewing it for a second time to let him have another angle. 

The Son challenge was never a red. Barely touches him. His foot gets stuck in the ground as Aurier clatters him. Just really unlucky. Absolutely horrific injury though, some pics on Twitter from the hospital and it looks really bad. Could be a career ending one. Hope he can make a full recovery physically and mentally. Will be difficult to come back from that.

(edit: I don’t think the Son red was a VAR call, happened too quick. I think it was just the ref seeing the lad’s ankle and thinking it was as a result of the challenge.)

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1

From a practical common sense view, Delle Ali's handball was not a  penalty. He was challenging for the ball and had no idea it would hit his arm. BUT his arm was in an unnatural position so I would have thought according to the new law it was a penalty. For example Cantwell's against Man Utd was similar, and his arm in an unnatural position, but OK a bit more transparent, and they gave a penalty. 

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I guess it's still a spectator sport but the spectators are in the pubs or in their armchairs. They analyse the replays in real time and then judge other people analysing replays somewhere else. 

Why should we be surprised this happens when already the games kick off at times that are best for these tv spectators.

But spectators in the stadium still pay premium prices for a substandard product. Something will give in the end...

As usual a very wise and shrewd observation from Nutty. Football is now more or less controlled by Sky TV for the benefit of a worldwide TV audience. VAR is a disaster but it prolongs the TV coverage which probably translates in to more advertising revenue and increased beer consumption. Of course there is no thought for Canary fans because if a Sky Sunday home match finishes after 6.30pm there is virtually no public transport. And I thought it was Sky who keep banging on about the amount of car fumes.

4 hours ago, Peanuts said:

Having watched that game, the performance of Martin Atkinson, and the VAR decisions, and the way it is used, and the personnel (methods) in manning it there can be little doubt it is turning spectators (including me) away from the sport. It is really shameful. 

4 hours ago, Aggy said:

The thing is with some there is always going to be an element of judgment - penalties, foul or no foul is still dependent on interpretation (unless we go to full no contact sport). So for me it should be the on-field ref reviewing it for a second time to let him have another angle. 

The Son challenge was never a red. Barely touches him. His foot gets stuck in the ground as Aurier clatters him. Just really unlucky. Absolutely horrific injury though, some pics on Twitter from the hospital and it looks really bad. Could be a career ending one. Hope he can make a full recovery physically and mentally. Will be difficult to come back from that.

(edit: I don’t think the Son red was a VAR call, happened too quick. I think it was just the ref seeing the lad’s ankle and thinking it was as a result of the challenge.)

In which case VAR should have overruled the ref and rescinded the red card ?

I also thought VAR would be a good thing, but That Ali handball should have been a pen and they should have rescinded Sons red card as it was a clear and obvious eror

14 hours ago, Aggy said:

Obviously I wish Gomes all the best and hope he can make a full recovery from this.

But, controversial opinion here. Son's challenge clearly wasn't a red, there was barely any contact. If I'm being completely honest I think Gomes, in an effort to make Son's challenge look worse, takes a dive which leads to the impact with Aurier and breaks his leg.

The thing that I find incredible is the fact that I have not seen one Ref review anything on one of the pitch side screens. That is what they are there for! I think if I was in the middle I would rather get the decision wrong on my own than have the wrong decision made by someone else. How must Stuart Attwell be feeling after our game against Man U when he rightly allowed play to continue only for it to get dragged back for a penalty when James had clearly fallen into Godfrey and was looking for a penalty all along?

Unless this farce is sorted out quickly I think fans will stop watching the game

Edited by First Wazzock

VAR has to go. The worst thing is the inconsistency of what is varred and what isn't varred and then you get decisions like the one against Godfrey. 

All it is doing is tranferring decisons of a ref on the field to yet another ref off the field who is so far removed from the situation as to make it ridiculous. 

By all means use VAR technology after matches to get retrospective action on fouls etc that go unpunished or unoticed in matches, but just leave the decison making to the four officials at the ground.  Anything else is just adding more layers of nonsense to proceedings that just make the match day experience worse for football, not better.

• Like 1

Our game has been messed about with enough. As has been referred to, spectators at the ground are suffering the worst. Football was simple. Open to some tinkering of course but simple in its production, playing, ruling and watching.

But since money became the real product, everything has gone sour. The latest being the disgusting way that two clubs are putting a price on not only the ability but the life of Sala.

VAR was brought in solely to appease those that said the game was too important to be decided by wrong decisions.

Well I have news for those people. The game isn't that important to spoil it for money.only.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Well b back said:

In which case VAR should have overruled the ref and rescinded the red card ?

Well, I’d argue that the ref should have been able to see it again and make up his mind, but yes in that instance VAR should have intervened in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Obviously I wish Gomes all the best and hope he can make a full recovery from this.

But, controversial opinion here. Son's challenge clearly wasn't a red, there was barely any contact. If I'm being completely honest I think Gomes, in an effort to make Son's challenge look worse, takes a dive which leads to the impact with Aurier and breaks his leg.

Not sure about the dive. There was contact, probably was a yellow as a fairly cynical challenge to stop a break. He was going pretty quick and Son caught his foot so I think it was probably difficult to stay up. Possibly he makes it slightly more “dramatic” but I’m not sure he does to be fair. 

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

VAR has to go. The worst thing is the inconsistency of what is varred and what isn't varred and then you get decisions like the one against Godfrey. 

All it is doing is tranferring decisons of a ref on the field to yet another ref off the field who is so far removed from the situation as to make it ridiculous. 

By all means use VAR technology after matches to get retrospective action on fouls etc that go unpunished or unoticed in matches, but just leave the decison making to the four officials at the ground.  Anything else is just adding more layers of nonsense to proceedings that just make the match day experience worse for football, not better.

The offside shouts have been by and large successful. I think maybe some leeway needs to be brought in for decisions that are down to the mm until we’ve got a completely flawless system, but largely that has worked well.

We’ve always had subjectivity from refs as part of the game. For me, it adds something to a season. One ref Might let you get away being more physical, another might not. In Europe you have to adapt your game because the refs traditionally don’t let you get away with as much. I do agree though LDC that we now end up with two different people trying to make a subjective decision about the same incident, which doesn’t work. Let the ref check everything other than objective line calls/offsides on a screen - worked far better in the World Cup. 

All very well but if Pukki breaks into the box and scores on Friday night when should we celebrate? Is it when the ball hits the back of the net? Or is it best to wait for something that may be going on elsewhere that we don't have a clue about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

All very well but if Pukki breaks into the box and scores on Friday night when should we celebrate? Is it when the ball hits the back of the net? Or is it best to wait for something that may be going on elsewhere that we don't have a clue about?

Double celebration, double the joy! Or Joy turning to despair! But think if Watford score and the goal is chalked offside because their players left testicle is ahead of our last  defender how much fun you’ll have at VAR!

Edited by Indy

Not sure about all that to be honest Indy. I could pay a tenner to watch the match in my armchair, fully informed what was happening, but I've already paid three times that to watch it and be in the dark. If it's football for TV then the viewers should be paying the most...

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Not sure about all that to be honest Indy. I could pay a tenner to watch the match in my armchair, fully informed what was happening, but I've already paid three times that to watch it and be in the dark. If it's football for TV then the viewers should be paying the most...

True, a goal at the game is great, ban VAR! I’m with you totally matey.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Double celebration, double the joy! Or Joy turning to despair! But think if Watford score and the goal is chalked offside because their players left testicle is ahead of our last  defender how much fun you’ll have at VAR!

Just another "Balls up" !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched the Brighton/Norwich match on a stream. The "tackle" where Aarons was wiped out was checked by VAR for a serious foul. VAR watched the video from one inconclusive angle over and over again before deciding that it was inconclusive and that no red card was due. Meanwhile on TV they showed a few other angles that showed that he was wiped out with a sliding tackle with no intention to win the ball and it should have been a straight red.

Against Man U the penalty given against Cantwell for handball was again given by VAR after reviewing the same one angle over and over which did make it appear to be hand-ball. Again, on TV they showed other angles that clearly showed that it hit the back of his head - you could even see his hair being knocked by the ball.

I thought the whole idea of VAR was that, these days with multiple camera angles, a video referee was able to see all of these views to make a more informed decision that the on-field referee who only sees his own angle. What's the point of it if they only look at the same angle over and over again?

I'm all for VAR but only if it's used intelligently and fairly.