Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Comedy of errors

Terrible defending ,a laughing stock,like watching pinball, never seen such a bad defence.really don't know where any points are coming from. We have had injuries but cannot see that with a fit squad we would be any better,feel sorry for pukki he gets no service . Only hope that we somehow find the form that beat man city again . 

Not sure I'd quite go that far Jobsworth but if we're pinning our hopes on Zimm & Hanley returning, thereby releasing Amadou and hoping nobody else gets crocked, I'm afraid the goals against column isn't going to make pretty reading as the season develops. Goals for hasn't improved much recently either

It's simply a harder division than last year.  We saw signs yesterday that Stiepermann will chip in with the odd goal, that Emi still has the eye for that killer pass, that Godfrey/Lewis and Aarons are class acts, that Krul is excellent, that Pukki is still Pukki, that Hernandez will cause defences probems, etc etc.

We're missing Vrancic for set pieces, the free kick yesterday we had just outside the penalty area was crying out for him to be there to take, so all in all it is not doom and gloom. The return of Zimmermann would be a huge boost too.  

It's simply a case of suck it up, stay mentally resilient and keep going.  Things may get worse before they get better - we could lose against Watford which would be a body blow - but that still would not be the end of the season - we showed last season that we can do well against the odds - no-one predicicted we would win the league last year, not even me. There is a long way to go and there will be many twists and turns.  Losing 2-0 against Brighton was not a disgrace, they won the previous two home games scoring three goals both times including 3-0 v Spurs. 

People should not give up hope - its football and anything can still happen.

Edited by lake district canary

Some of the defending was truly awful yesterday and had Brighton not been so wasteful they could have had plenty more. I don't know what the answer is; we're constantly told that 3 out of 4 of our defenders are worth millions and some of the best young defenders around (and I don't necessarily disagree with this) and yet we continue to ship goals. Maybe it's tactical or maybe we need better protection from midfield (Amadou/Tettey?)

• Like 2

Right from the first game at Anfield, we always look likely to undo any good work or 'purple patches' in games with dodgy defensive work in and around our own box. Teams don't need to work all that hard to break us down. Whatever is being attempted at Colney to tighten things up, recent evidence suggests that we're now not creating enough clear-cut chances at the other end. Have we been sussed out? Are we too predictable? Is it mainly down to defensive injuries? Did we not strengthen sufficiently over the summer? Is the squad too inexperienced for this level? It's hardly an accident that the most consistent performers so far (for me Krul, Pukki & Tettey) are the 'elder statesmen' in the squad. 

A couple of wins would change the mood & momentum drastically but at the moment it's difficult to see who we can overpower. We live in hope. Watford at home could be the making or breaking of squad morale. We need to turn around the funk that's set in since the Man City game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We saw signs yesterday that Stiepermann will chip in with the odd goal, that Emi still has the eye for that killer pass

Really?

Emi may still have the eye for that killer pass but unfortunately the old eye/foot co-ordination is not what it was.

His corners and free kicks ain't that great either.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

On another day that would be two goals.

If my auntie had **** and all that...

We're really clutching at straws if we're taking someone not scoring a goal as evidence he will score goals.

16 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Emi may still have the eye for that killer pass but unfortunately the old eye/foot co-ordination is not what it was.

His corners and free kicks ain't that great either.

His issue yesterday was decision making. There was one moment where he got to the by-line and instead of pulling it back to one our players or playing the percentages by hitting it hard and low into the 6 yard box, he tried to turn back inside and lost it. To compound the poor decision he then went down like he'd been shot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It's simply a harder division than last year.  We saw signs yesterday that Stiepermann will chip in with the odd goal, that Emi still has the eye for that killer pass, that Godfrey/Lewis and Aarons are class acts, that Krul is excellent, that Pukki is still Pukki, that Hernandez will cause defences probems, etc etc.

We're missing Vrancic for set pieces, the free kick yesterday we had just outside the penalty area was crying out for him to be there to take, so all in all it is not doom and gloom. The return of Zimmermann would be a huge boost too.  

It's simply a case of suck it up, stay mentally resilient and keep going.  Things may get worse before they get better - we could lose against Watford which would be a body blow - but that still would not be the end of the season - we showed last season that we can do well against the odds - no-one predicicted we would win the league last year, not even me. There is a long way to go and there will be many twists and turns.  Losing 2-0 against Brighton was not a disgrace, they won the previous two home games scoring three goals both times including 3-0 v Spurs. 

Yet we can't stop conceding? 

57 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I agree, they are quite impressive stats.

However, if you want to hide from reality it's very easy to overlook the fact that we have scored just 2 goals in the last 6 games (or 540+ minutes of football or 1 goal in every 3 games).

They are the most relevant stats.

Furthermore, both of the goals we have scored came when the game(s) had already been lost by a considerable margin and the opposition were already thinking about having a beer.

As for assists, our goal against Villa was from a combination of a bad backpass and the sun getting in their goalies eyes and the one against Man U was a solo effort by Hernandez after he single handedly took the ball from a daydreaming United defender, ran through their defence and shot wide of the keeper.

In other words we haven't actually had any goal assists, or "killer passes", of our own making for 6 games in a row.

Edited by Making Plans

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Anything can still happen but if we don’t beat Watford I fear the title will be gone, if we can’t turn the tide of results we will struggle to make the champions league places 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

We're really clutching at straws if we're taking someone not scoring a goal as evidence he will score goals.

Oh do me a favour. He was three inches away from a perfect goal. He will score goals.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Oh do me a favour. He was three inches away from a perfect goal. He will score goals.

What's a more compelling argument...

He hit the bar once so he'll definitely score goals.

Or he's taken 14 shots this season (third most in the team) without scoring, suggesting maybe he won't score that many.

11 hours ago, king canary said:

Wow, if hitting the bar is “not scoring goals”, do you sum up last season as “we lost some games”?

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Wow, if hitting the bar is “not scoring goals”, do you sum up last season as “we lost some games”?

Sorry, what?

Did the rules change and we get a goal for hitting the bar?

He hit the bar. It was a good shot. It wasn't a goal. It is bizarre to claim that hitting the bar is evidence someone will score goals.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sorry, what?

He hit the bar. It was a good shot. It wasn't a goal. It is bizarre to claim that hitting the bar is evidence someone will score goals.

Your original sarcastic reply.was to a comment stating we saw signs steipermann would chip in with the odd goal.

Steipermann hitting the bar is a sign he is capable of chipping in with goals. 

He's messed slot of chances this season including 2 on the first day against Liverpool and I'd have expected.him to do more with them but your idea that we've seen no evidence he can score doesnt match the positions I've seen him get himself Into and the chances he's had so far.

Edited by Hillhead
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sorry, what?

If you drew a scale with a goal at one end and the polar opposite (own goal?) at the other end, hitting the bar would be way over towards the goal end. 

No-one is saying hitting the bar is a goal, but it’s about as close as you can get, to use it as evidence that we are having trouble scoring is nonsensical.

1 minute ago, Hillhead said:

Your original sarcastic reply.was to a comment stating we saw signs steipermann would fit in with the odd goal.

Steipermann hitting the bar is a sign he is capable of chipping in with goals.

How is it? 

Genuinely I don't understand how someone coming close to scoring but not scoring is a sign they can score. 

Just now, Nuff Said said:

If you drew a scale with a goal at one end and the polar opposite (own goal?) at the other end, hitting the bar would be way over towards the goal end. 

No-one is saying hitting the bar is a goal, but it’s about as close as you can get, to use it as evidence that we are having trouble scoring is nonsensical.

I'm not doing that- I was responding to a post using it as evidence that we will score goals which is nonsensical.

I’m not going to get dragged into a pointless back and forth on this, so I’ll have one more go. Lakey said Stieperman hitting the woodwork was a sign that he might score the odd goal. It’s not a goal, and I’d like more than one “sign” before I would use it as solid evidence but if it’s not an indication that he got close, wtf is it? If he’d ballooned it into row z, I could see your point.

Hey, some people wrote Stiepermann off completely about 5 games ago. I thought he was decent yesterday, got into some good positions  between the lines as he tends to always do and was unlucky not to score.

Hes not going to get 15 goals a season in this league but playing enough I could see him chipping in with 4 or 5.

Again, this league is a jump up in quality and players like Marco may take some time to adjust and one of the things from previous games was that he wasnt getting his shots off early enough. He seems to have tried to adjust that looking at yesterday. 

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not going to get dragged into a pointless back and forth on this, so I’ll have one more go. Lakey said Stieperman hitting the woodwork was a sign that he might score the odd goal. It’s not a goal, and I’d like more than one “sign” before I would use it as solid evidence but if it’s not an indication that he got close, wtf is it? If he’d ballooned it into row z, I could see your point.

It is exactly what you said it was- one indication he got close. That is all it is. As I mentioned earlier he's taken more shots than anyone apart from Pukki and Cantwell and has yet to score. For me that is a far more telling indicator than one shot that hit the bar, that is all I'm saying.