Sign in to follow this  
Ward 3

HERE WE GO AGAIN

Another weekend, people say we need to change Philosophy, these being the same people who said we shouldn't change our ways. You lot seriously effing annoying 

We had this just over a year ago. Webber fronted it out. Even suggested fans  find another team to support.

Then he became a Messiah and now he will soon be a naughty boy.

I don't see him caving in though.

• Like 1

We should change our philosophy. We should change it back to the fearless have a go game that we started the season against Liverpool, Newcastle and Chelsea. We now look toothless and still can’t defend, let’s just get back to what got us here and looked so good at the beginning of the season 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is Webber and Farke using Norwich as a stepping stone.Will he (Webber) really care he’s already said he’s off in three years

Last few games though we definitely have changed our philosophy and I have to admit it’s not worked. I still think we need to reign in the attacking style a little bit against the top sides but against United and today we’ve been strangely passive, not pressed, not committed the full backs forward at all and looked far less threatening than usual. I felt the same at Burnley and Palace to a degree as well.

looking at those performances I’ve slightly changed my mind. I just don’t think we have the players to keep it tight and win ugly (at least not til we have the players fit to go three at the back) and so I think we just have to go on the attack again, accept our goal difference will be sh*t and try and win enough games to get ourselves out of the bottom three and across the line. Draws are not really going to help us but if we could win 10 games from those we have left we will probably stay up. 

Pretty much every complaint after the first however many games this season was how we had to adjust and be less attacking.

Farke said we didnt have the personnel but people on here maintained we should do it anyway. Stop the fullbacks from bombing on etc.

In the end we done it. Now those same fans are complaining we are less effective up front (something I agree with).

Most of our good chance creation last season came from overloading small areas of the pitch and this was often with a fullback, attacking wide player and often a drifting CAM to create passing triangles in the final third. 

I feel we've lost that and I'd be disappointed if we made that decision partially because of pressure from impatient support. Obviously the confidence takes a hit and it becomes harder for natural attacking flair players anyway.

What we actually need is a proper centre back partnership. Not just so we arent playing a midfielder there, but also to help Godfrey who for all his good work makes simple positional errors that a proper partner could help correct. With a more confident base I believe our attacking players will naturally find their rhythm again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Pretty much every complaint after the first however many games this season was how we had to adjust and be less attacking.

Farke said we didnt have the personnel but people on here maintained we should do it anyway. Stop the fullbacks from bombing on etc.

In the end we done it. Now those same fans are complaining we are less effective up front (something I agree with).

And in addition to losing the attacking edge, the defending doesn't seem to have got any better, aside from the Bournemouth game. That's a real worry.

• Like 2

Our attacking prowess last season was built on the foundations of a solid balling playing core - 2 CBs who were better as a pair than individuals and either tettey and leitner (season start) or Kenny & Trybull who were effective effective as pairs but not quite so good apart.  Without that platform we can not get the ball to the midfield three fast enough and progress through our opponents

Missing that platform is clearly also affecting the confidence of the team that are playing.    Up top pukkis movement and touch remains good - that turn that started the move for the shot to the bar -   but he isnt seeing the ball enough (just 19 touches yesterday).   Buendia is still creating chances but increasingly, not having the outball options in numbers we saw last season, is holding on to the ball too long.  Onel too easily lost the ball (7 times easily dispossesed) after also running down plenty of blind alleys

Until we start winning tackles and regaining possession (just 3 successful tackles from and under seige DCM pair is not good enough) and then moving the ball faster & more accurately (same pair) to the front three we will remain under the cosh & losing confidence.  50% of our possession loss came through Onel, Kenny & Lewis - two deep sitting.

Godfrey needs an experienced cb partner to organise him - instead he has had 4 partners in 11 games.  In a position where understanding and partnership are critical he has played just 218 minutes of 1000 with a proper CB,  only 36 with his best partner.   It is no  surprise we look shaky at the back.   And will continue to be until well into the new year.

Perm 4 attackers from Pukki, Emi, Onel, Vrancic, Cantwell, Steipernann, Srbeny, Drmic, Idah & Roberts with crisp passing to them and I remain confident that they can create.   They challenge is getting the ball to them quickly enough. 

• Like 4

"To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often" - Winston Churchill.  

The question is do we have the ability to change and change again if required?

Giving up on football and finding something else to do is better than it was under Hughton. Farke and Webber deserves our support and should stick - entirely - to our philosophy of last season. I notice the slight change and really hope it isn't because of the fans who think they know better; they (we) don't.

We dont need to change anything other than the idea that we can get away without playing recognised centre backs. Sticking plaster is no good in this league.

Nobody can deny that yesterday wasn't a poor performance. You have to analyse each game, one at a time. And yesterday was a let down. And I would guess we all want that to change.

That there should be a change depends on what change.

Some want us to change to a club that will spend money, maybe lots of money, on players that will keep us in the EPL. Some want us to change our formation. Others want a change in tactics.

Thing is, none of those will guarantee anything. Personally, I would like us to ditch zonal marking. We are not good enough at even Championship level to do it properly. And the other change is just to see us go out and enjoy ourselves. We look like it is becoming a chore at the moment and it shouldn't be. We probably will struggle all season and may well go down but I just want to see us play with no fear. It won't be easy. The teams are better in this league but some of them are not much better than us and we could do better against them.

1 hour ago, ZLF said:

Our attacking prowess last season was built on the foundations of a solid balling playing core - 2 CBs who were better as a pair than individuals and either tettey and leitner (season start) or Kenny & Trybull who were effective effective as pairs but not quite so good apart.  Without that platform we can not get the ball to the midfield three fast enough and progress through our opponents

Missing that platform is clearly also affecting the confidence of the team that are playing.    Up top pukkis movement and touch remains good - that turn that started the move for the shot to the bar -   but he isnt seeing the ball enough (just 19 touches yesterday).   Buendia is still creating chances but increasingly, not having the outball options in numbers we saw last season, is holding on to the ball too long.  Onel too easily lost the ball (7 times easily dispossesed) after also running down plenty of blind alleys

Until we start winning tackles and regaining possession (just 3 successful tackles from and under seige DCM pair is not good enough) and then moving the ball faster & more accurately (same pair) to the front three we will remain under the cosh & losing confidence.  50% of our possession loss came through Onel, Kenny & Lewis - two deep sitting.

Godfrey needs an experienced cb partner to organise him - instead he has had 4 partners in 11 games.  In a position where understanding and partnership are critical he has played just 218 minutes of 1000 with a proper CB,  only 36 with his best partner.   It is no  surprise we look shaky at the back.   And will continue to be until well into the new year.

Perm 4 attackers from Pukki, Emi, Onel, Vrancic, Cantwell, Steipernann, Srbeny, Drmic, Idah & Roberts with crisp passing to them and I remain confident that they can create.   They challenge is getting the ball to them quickly enough. 

Fantastic post Zip. I enjoyed it and agree with most of it. A shining light in the darkness of money, money, money, wah, wah, wah...