Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

So many misplaced passes

The last goal we scored from passing the ball was six games ago.

We are desperate to 'keep our identity', but I bet most neutrals couldn't tell you what our identity is at the moment. Passing the ball well is certainly not it. 

Edited by HertsCanary93

This lack of patience with the ball is the what strikes me. It seems the players are anxious on the ball, try to make impossible passes and the ball simply passes to the opposition which just invites pressure on the whole team.

I would like to see a period of consolidation in the next few weeks where we simply try and hold on to posession and try to frustrate teams that way, rather than in the open way in which we are approaching games at the moment, which isn't working. 

Be resilient, hold on to the ball at all costs, not give it away by trying passes that are never going to work and dig in.  It is how we got a foothold in the championship in the period before Christmas last season - several matches where we just kept the ball from the opposition. We need that again. Dig in, get some confidence on the ball, the creative midfielders need to stop trying to be Maradonnas and Messis and just look after the ball.  At least that way we can look a bit more composed and that we have a plan that works - it is not giving up Farkeball if we do that - in fact it is what Farkeball is all about - looking after the ball and trying to dominate posession.

At the moment it looks as if we are trying to be better than we are - and that will not work. Against Man City we set up against them as if they were world beaters - and it worked.  Imo every game has to be like that - set up as if you are playing the champions and you might stand a chance. I don't think the attitude has been quite right yet - too many still trying too hard - just concentrate on teamwork and passing and success will come out of that.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This lack of patience with the ball is the what strikes me. It seems the players are anxious on the ball, try to make impossible passes and the ball simply passes to the opposition which just invites pressure on the whole team.

I would like to see a period of consolidation in the next few weeks where we simply try and hold on to posession and try to frustrate teams that way, rather than in the open way in which we are approaching games at the moment, which isn't working. 

Be resilient, hold on to the ball at all costs, not give it away by trying passes that are never going to work and dig in.  It is how we got a foothold in the championship in the period before Christmas last season - several matches where we just kept the ball from the opposition. We need that again. Dig in, get some confidence on the ball, the creative midfielders need to stop trying to be Maradonnas and Messis and just look after the ball.  At least that way we can look a bit more composed and that we have a plan that works - it is not giving up Farkeball if we do that - in fact it is what Frakeball is all about - looking after the ball and trying to dominating posession.

At the moment it looks as if we are trying to be better than we are - and that will not work. Against Man City we set up against them as if they were world beaters - and it worked.  Imo every game has to be like that - set up as if you are playing the champions and you might stand a chance. I don't think the attitude has been quite right yet - too many still trying too hard - just concentrate on teamwork and passing and success will come out of that.

You were saying the opposite before the Man City game ? Attacking football the Farke way was the only way as we are better than Man City at keeping the ball you said. Our disastrous run started after you said we were a top six side. Could you predict relegation as that might change our luck ?

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Be resilient, hold on to the ball at all costs, not give it away by trying passes that are never going to work and dig in.  It is how we got a foothold in the championship in the period before Christmas last season - several matches where we just kept the ball from the opposition. We need that again. Dig in, get some confidence on the ball, the creative midfielders need to stop trying to be Maradonnas and Messis and just look after the ball.  At least that way we can look a bit more composed and that we have a plan that works - it is not giving up Farkeball if we do that - in fact it is what Frakeball is all about - looking after the ball and trying to dominating posession.

Agreed. It was evident during the first half against Man Utd, and it showed again today. Too often there seemed to be an urgency to get the ball forward too quickly, either by playing a low-percentage eye-of-the-needle pass or by launching it long into space for Pukki to chase. 

I doubt this is an order that has come from Farke, so it's probably that the players are feeling under pressure and just panicking. They get the ball, and instead of prioritising keeping it as most technical sides do, they just seem to be desperate to relieve the pressure and get up the field, and as a result they're trying to be too direct and the ball gets won by a defence that has a comfortable numerical advantage.

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

You were saying the opposite before the Man City game ? Attacking football the Farke way was the only way as we are better than Man City at keeping the ball you said. Our disastrous run started after you said we were a top six side. Could you predict relegation as that might change our luck ?

I didn't say we were better than Man City on the ball, that is a grotesque misrepresentation of what I was saying.  Also I did not say we were a top six side - only that we could be challenging the top six by the end of the season - and that is still not beyond the realms of possibility if we get a return to form.  I get it, we're struggling at the moment, but we still have over two thirds of a season to adapt. 

For me, keeping possession of the ball is the absolute necessity - and that is why I said that was what needed against Man City - and despite us winning that game, my opinion hasn't changed.  Every time we give the ball away cheaply - and it happens too much - all that happens is that we give the opposition the initiative. We simply have to look after the ball better.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Also I did not say we were a top six side - only that we could be challenging the top six by the end of the season - and that is still not beyond the realms of possibility if we get a return to form.  

Now I know I compared you to Jesus after the Man city result, but us getting top six at the end of this season would be the equivalent of Jesus walking on water, making water into wine, feeding the 5000 and healing two dozen lepers at the same bl00dy time!

OTBC

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Also I did not say we were a top six side - only that we could be challenging the top six by the end of the season - and that is still not beyond the realms of possibility if we get a return to form.  I get it, we're struggling at the moment, but we still have over two thirds of a season to adapt.

I have watched every game from start to finish and I have seen what our manager and squad have to offer at this level.

The performances and results do not lie.

We have not adapted with 11 games gone. In fact nothing changes from week to week and if anything, we are getting worse.

Even if we had a full and fit squad and played to our very best form from now until the end on the season, never mind "challenging the top 6", we would struggle to get out of the bottom 6.

There was hope, 2nd half Liverpool, Newcastle, first half Chelsea and Man City. That's a total of 3 games when we've played well out of 11 games.

Since then, barely a glimmer.

The "upturn" was supposed to come once we started playing some of the lesser sides in this league but even then we have been found wanting.

47 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The BBC reporter said that we made it easy for Brighton by giving the ball away so cheaply......

Yes, it's not rocket science, we are awful at the moment in possession. Has to improve.

I’ve just said on another thread that it seems like a different side this season - last season even when we went behind there was a feel good factor, we were playing with a smile and more often than not it worked out. This season, we seem to have lost a bit of the “sparkle”. Pressure, forcing our game, all probably signs of that.

I don’t think it was LDC who said we were as good passing it around as anyone else in Europe (although someone on here definitely did say that)... And that sort of attitude was dangerous. People posting it on here wasn’t dangerous as I’m sure the players don’t pay any attention to this message board, but perhaps the players got a bit ahead of themselves and are now struggling to come to terms with it not going their way. 

We desperately need a win to lift things. A Pukki goal or two wouldn’t go amiss either.

I just can't see it happening at the moment,  the performances are that bad. You can be an optimistic person and I give this person all the credit 4 that, but the reality is there 4 all to see.  I will keep on supporting #ncfc,  whatever happens. But I'm preparing myself for the Championship mentally..., I don't want to do that, yet the football served up is that bad!

• Like 1

At least compared to when we were last at the Amex we tried, I could not fault the effort.

it is strange that during the Champ we were so much better at passing. Maybe as a poster said it is the pressure, and we’re trying to be better than we are.

LDC makes a good point, stick to the basics of what got us promoted. 

the number of poor choice of  passes attempted through a striped shirt was very noticeable yesterday - with Kenny and Jamal in particular struggling and in their own half too.  I have more sympathy with Onel & Emi who are at least trying progressive passes in the final third.

Teams know that we are struggling with a high press and implement it without fail and more effectively than we faced last season,  the ball players are feeling that pressure, confidence has been affected and our passing is struggling as a result.

9 minutes ago, ZLF said:

the number of poor choice of  passes attempted through a striped shirt was very noticeable yesterday - with Kenny and Jamal in particular struggling and in their own half too.  I have more sympathy with Onel & Emi who are at least trying progressive passes in the final third.

Teams know that we are struggling with a high press and implement it without fail and more effectively than we faced last season,  the ball players are feeling that pressure, confidence has been affected and our passing is struggling as a result.

The problem is, partially, that because we are low on confidence and teams are pressing us high, we cant really afford to have Trybull and McLean as our two midfield options. But because we have our problems at CB (and to a lesser extent the defence generally) we cant really afford to have a Leitner sitting in there. 

With Godfrey and Zimmerman at CB and Amadou alongside Leitner I'd feel alot more comfortable.

• Like 1

It's not rocket science, surely If teams press us high and hard, we should have worked on a plan B, or be adaptable or whatever or the tactics fluid whatever you want to call it, and we should do that different thing to try and counter it. 

I can't help but start to draw comparisons with our first season in the Prem to Huddersfield's second season in the Prem...