Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Delia/Farke

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I like the fact you're trying to reason Herman but you're trying to debate with posters who spend their lives waiting for an opportunity to call for the owners heads; obviously without any thought to what happens afterwards.

With respect the opportunity to question the ownership happens too frequently and rightly so. Happy clappers Utd will feel it too when the gifted players in this team are sold. 

On 26/12/2019 at 17:38, Feedthewolf said:

9 wins and no draws would definitely be enough, we wouldn't go down with 39. I still can't see it happening, though!

Emi will definitely leave if we go down, and Godfrey probably too. Max maybe, Todd maybe not, Jamal maybe not. The good thing about the situation is that if we sell one or two (big bids for Emi and Ben), we'll be under no financial pressure to sell the others, so we can hold out for massive fees.

I appreciate and agree that some would want to leave, but you say that we will need to sell a couple to relieve financial pressure, is that in fact the case?  I thought we had  built in the possibility of relegation as part of our financial model. Are you saying that the model would require player sales to balance the books?

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

Back then it wasn't novel. Every club was doing the same as Chase, barring one or two clubs. Now is different because every club tries to spend its way out of trouble, just to get a few seasons of mid league, usually followed by relegation and or bankruptcies or buys itself a few trophies.

Yes but it’s not novel and they are not doing it because they believe it’s the best chance of success are they? They are doing it because they have no choice yet it’s being spun as if it’s some kind of groundbreaking brace new world that all others should join. We have always sold players, we’ve always developed players through the academy. There is a genuine element of emperors new clothes about it helped by the fact we suddenly had 4 academy graduates ready to play but apart from Idah I don’t see a huge number waiting in the wings for the next couple of seasons. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

With respect the opportunity to question the ownership happens too frequently and rightly so. Happy clappers Utd will feel it too when the gifted players in this team are sold. 

It only seems to happen when we go through a rough patch. We didn't see hide nor hair from any of you, especially last season, raising any queries of where our system is heading. Maybe highlighting your worries when the going is good and we may actually give some weight to your feelings.

22 minutes ago, Herman said:

Back then it wasn't novel. Every club was doing the same as Chase, barring one or two clubs. Now is different because every club tries to spend its way out of trouble, just to get a few seasons of mid league, usually followed by relegation and or bankruptcies or buys itself a few trophies.

I can’t name one club that has gone bankrupt after being in the Premier league? 

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

It only seems to happen when we go through a rough patch. We didn't see hide nor hair from any of you, especially last season, raising any queries of where our system is heading. Maybe highlighting your worries when the going is good and we may actually give some weight to your feelings.

Do that and your accused of being unable to enjoy the good times, or refusing to give the owners credit when they deserve it etc etc...

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I appreciate and agree that some would want to leave, but you say that we will need to sell a couple to relieve financial pressure, is that in fact the case?  I thought we had  built in the possibility of relegation as part of our financial model. Are you saying that the model would require player sales to balance the books?

Fair point, Winky, that was an error on my part. I don't believe we would have to sell, but I believe that at least two or three of our six most valuable players (Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey, Cantwell, Buendía, Pukki) would try to negotiate a move away in the event of relegation. That would then give us enough surplus to invest in the squad, the academy and Colney, plus mitigating against the event of parachute payments running out.

If I could write that post again, I'd have worded it differently; something like "for every player we have to sell due to them wanting to move, it further strengthens our financial position thus giving a better chance of keeping hold of (or at least demanding top dollar for) other valuable assets".

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JF said:

I can’t name one club that has gone bankrupt after being in the Premier league? 

Really? I can name Bolton and Portsmouth off the top of my head. (And us very nearly.)

Edited by Herman

1 minute ago, Herman said:

This rough patch has been going on for months. Relegation was planned for straight after promotion hence virtually zero investment. 

I am surprised how many defend it and actually wear it as a badge of honour. You do know this is 3 instant drops after promotion in 16 years ? 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

This rough patch has been going on for months. Relegation was planned for straight after promotion hence virtually zero investment. 

I am surprised how many defend it and actually wear it as a badge of honour. You do know this is 3 instant drops after promotion in 16 years ? 

I don't think people wore the last two relegations as a badge of honour. This time around it feels different, as we've got a progressive young coach, a forward-thinking Director of Football, a great crop of talented academy assets and a solid financial platform.

I think if you look at the general mood of your fellow supporters, they are much more supportive of the situation than on the previous two occasions. We're five points adrift at the bottom of the table; usually there would be a massive groundswell of protest by now, calls for the manager's head, and so on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Bloody hell, our board and senior management put plans in place for a worst-case scenario? The b*stards!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

Really? I can name Bolton and Portsmouth off the top of my head. (And us very nearly.)

I didn’t think either actually went bankrupt though? The only club I can think of is Bury and obviously not through the PL

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

Do that and your accused of being unable to enjoy the good times, or refusing to give the owners credit when they deserve it etc etc...

Well, the people being referred to certainly didn't give the owners credit when they deserved it anyway!

6 minutes ago, JF said:

I didn’t think either actually went bankrupt though? The only club I can think of is Bury and obviously not through the PL

How did I know you would be pedantic??😀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bloody hell, our board and senior management put plans in place for a worst-case scenario? The b*stards!

The expected scenario after no investment. Let’s see how we all feel when the sale hammer starts banging.
A beautiful bunch of players are off too soon and a lack of ambition contributed greatly to this conclusion. 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

How did I know you would be pedantic??😀

I don't think it is pedantic to point out he's correct that nobody has gone bankrupt. There is a fairly key difference.

15 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't think people wore the last two relegations as a badge of honour. This time around it feels different, as we've got a progressive young coach, a forward-thinking Director of Football, a great crop of talented academy assets and a solid financial platform.

I think if you look at the general mood of your fellow supporters, they are much more supportive of the situation than on the previous two occasions. We're five points adrift at the bottom of the table; usually there would be a massive groundswell of protest by now, calls for the manager's head, and so on.

Next season feels big for the owners. If we go down, sell a few of our younger players and then struggle then this season will have been a complete waste.

Guys we're really getting off track here. I can't reiterate enough that this thread is supposed to be percentage based. Let's see some numbers apportioned to who you feel responsible for yet another embarrassing Premier league campaign. Cheers, Keith. 

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't think it is pedantic to point out he's correct that nobody has gone bankrupt. There is a fairly key difference.

What they've both been through, and are still going through is probably far worse than simple bakruptcy. So yes, you're probably right.

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

What they've both been through, and are still going through is probably far worse than simple bakruptcy. So yes, you're probably right.

Really? Bolton maybe, Portsmouth not so much.

30 minutes ago, king canary said:

Next season feels big for the owners. If we go down, sell a few of our younger players and then struggle then this season will have been a complete waste.

Apart from no-one can say that will happen yet. Even so, i'm not sure it's that 'big' for the owners. Apart from a few noisy posters on here the general fanbase is well, well behind what the club are doing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Apart from no-one can say that will happen yet. Even so, i'm not sure it's that 'big' for the owners. Apart from a few noisy posters on here the general fanbase is well, well behind what the club are doing..........

.........and for very good reasons.

And the few noisy posters are the usual suspects endlessly playing the same broken record and seemingly oblivious that the rest of the world has moved on.

Percentages are far too reductive Keith. It's much more complicated I think. 

I blame neither Farke nor Delia. Luck, injuries and inability yet to kill off game have been our downfall. From winning positions we've lost 14 points.

Just now, Since 1980 said:

I blame neither Farke nor Delia. Luck, injuries and inability yet to kill off game have been our downfall. From winning positions we've lost 14 points.

That isn't luck, that suggests poor game management.

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

So you think a spell in league two is worse than bankruptcy and liquidation?

Blimey mate, look at their last ten year history.