Midlands Yellow

Under achieving or over achieving since 96

Might be half interesting as a topic and people say what they really think since Delia took the majority share holding over. 

Personally I think the club have so much to be grateful for but will never reach the next level for as long as the status quo continues.

You do realise what you have done don't you Midlands Yellow ? By the time i get back from Brighton tomorrow night i am expecting at least 2 pages. 😛

The guy openly admitted to being a troll. Helped me a bit because I was wondering if anyone could really be that stupid 🙃

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Might be half interesting as a topic and people say what they really think since Delia took the majority share holding over. 

Personally I think the club have so much to be grateful for but will never reach the next level for as long as the status quo continues.

But we have reached the next level.

It's staying there that's the problem

Edited by Making Plans

37 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You do realise what you have done don't you Midlands Yellow ? By the time i get back from Brighton tomorrow night i am expecting at least 2 pages. 😛

Homework monitor as well then?

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It's an impossible question to answer because if she'd sold the club then it's a bit of a lottery RE: new owner.

Take Tony Fernandes for example who had links to Norfolk, is stinking rich and seems like a genuinely pleasant person who keeps his ego in check. That's probably the type of guy that Delia would have chosen if she wanted somebody who would invest real money into the club. 

I'm confident she'd be too diligent to sell to that fraud who owned Villa. 

So going by the Fernandes example... He spent a fortune on QPR, wasted that fortune, got mugged off by all sorts of footballing parasites and is now attempting to operate under a self sufficient model with young players and QPR are in their natural place as a lower mid table Championship side. 

If she's sold to a billionaire we could have been Leicester, we could have been QPR. 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

The guy openly admitted to being a troll. Helped me a bit because I was wondering if anyone could really be that stupid 🙃

I think if people don’t agree with you then you get bitchy and personal Nutty ? Quite sad really for an intelligent man with morals .

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think if people don’t agree with you then you get bitchy and personal Nutty ? Quite sad really for an intelligent man with morals .

Seriously?

I bothered to post all kinds of stuff while debating with you. You took no notice, wouldn't debate it, and then admitted you were trolling. That shows no respect to this board or it's contributors. And then you post about morals.

I think it depends on your viewpoint from when you started supporting the club personally. When I started following as a kid we were regulars in the top flight, fa cup semi finals and obviously that 3rd place season followed by the Uafa cup. So from my perspective I’ve always seen us as underachieving since. Though I fully appreciate that from a financial point of view we have very much been overachieving as well. Bottom line is that clubs like ours and at least half of the PL will play seasons there, and in the Championship. We’ve had some amazing, ridiculously exciting seasons that we simply wouldn’t have enjoyed had we just been another number making up the also rans in the PL. As much as I’d love to see us kick on to the next level, that next level doesn’t really exist and doesn’t last long. Relegation comes eventually to all teams of our standing and although Leicester are currently riding a wave of success, in time it will come again to them, it’s the cycle of football. And as I’ve always said, the best thing about being in the PL is the season that you are promoted to it. 

Edited by JF

"We’ve had some amazing, ridiculously exciting seasons that we simply wouldn’t have enjoyed had we just been another number making up the also rans in the PL."

i agree with all of that  JF and particularly that quoted above. 

I suppose being a yo-yo side is about right given our current status of being a medium size City set in a region not historically "football" (in the cloth cap sense) and with owners considered to be relative paupers.

I use "current" as we could end up with that mythical "stinking rich" owner, however unlikely that seems at the moment.

There are some very good things about yo-yoing. It is, for sure, preferable to mid-table Championship mediocrity season after season or being a Premier League also-ran (struggler) all the time. 

The big let down in this yo-yo status is that it appears to be that we could become perpetual "one season wonders" with both Worthy's and Neal's sides having brief stays at the top table and Farke's team already struggling. Not only is this dispiriting but it squanders a lot of the financial gain that promotion is supposed to bestow. Even though the Messiah-based three seasons left us hard up for some reason or another mistakes should have been learned.

It's a balance between this "learning" these and managing to survive. The so-called cyclical nature of most (all) clubs fortunes need not be so rapid as is the case of Norwich City, with Carrow Road almost a velodrome built for speed cycling only (eh?)

Survive this season and City could be on the brink of something a bit more permanent. Fail and we will surely be up there with the Championship front-runners again and that day at Wembley, last season's wonder show and beating Manchester City and Newcastle, two of the game's giants, on our home turf were all precious moments after all..

No fan should feel entitled about their club being amongst the elite. City fans are entitled to more than one season every few years though, but even though it's looking slightly grim at the moment I have more faith in this set-up, this team and our current approach than I have had in any since the Walker-Chase freak show ...... which was also short lived.

Yo-yo?  ... well ok.

Ephemeral? .... please no!

Edited by BroadstairsR

I don't particularly like the phrase over or under achieving. We achieved what we set out to do far less than not achieving because we set out to win every game. But you can't do that so I would say the odds of achieving what you set out to do are at best 25% looking at our achievements since 1996. Five promotions and a play off final. So once every four years we have something to excite us and conversely it is similar to disappointment if you class disappointment as relegation.

Many of us classed 2017/18 as disappointing because the standard of football was poor but obviously it was the foreplay to 2018/19.

Must admit I had to do a bit of back tracking to remember what since 1996 actually meant. Of course looking purely at league positions doesn't take account the context of either perceived success or failure. On balance we have punched above our weight in my honest opinion.

image.png.d9c7e1fde57aa942a021cbcd2998eed5.png

In the 47 seasons since we first won promotion to the top tier we have had 26 seasons in the top tier, 20 seasons in the second tier and 1 season in the third tier.

Taking our ‘natural’ position as being a second tier club it is reasonable to conclude we have overachieved over this period.