Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Penalties or not penalties?!

I see Dan James won another penalty last night against Chelsea, just seems to me that it doesn’t take much these days to actually get a penalty and if you’re clever enough like James you will win dozens each season.

No wonder Ole spoke to Rashford about taking one as he’s almost guaranteed a free shot from 12 yards every game at the moment 🤷🏻‍♂️

Am I being unfairly critical or has he become the latest expert at ‘winning’ penalties?

That was a 100% penalty, stupid challenge by Alonso. Don’t think he was looking for it either.

If what you are saying is if you are Man Utd ect you are appear more likely to get a penalty I would agree with that.

53 minutes ago, Well b back said:

That was a 100% penalty, stupid challenge by Alonso. Don’t think he was looking for it either.

If what you are saying is if you are Man Utd ect you are appear more likely to get a penalty I would agree with that.

Agree it was stupid but still don’t think there was anywhere near enough of a clash for him to go down, the penalty has been getting hammered on Twitter but fans from other clubs and even some Man Ure fans think it’s soft.

A precedent has been set over the last couple of seasons with pundits/ex players saying that if you feel a touch in the box then go down, for me that’s wrong and encourages either cheating or ‘winning’ penalties (if there’s a difference)

Feels like Dan James is now getting a reputation already for being one that goes down a lot easily?!

Everyone is running scared. It is ludicrous. What has changed?

Our game illustrates it perfectly. The first incident with Godfrey shows how the referee, directly behind the incident and seeing it in real time, was overruled by about twenty viewings by someone not involved with the match at all. Possibly a hundred miles away.

The second with Cantwell shows how stupid the game has got. He wasn't trying to handle the ball. He just jumped and now under the new ruling is deemed to have handled.

So I offer a scenario. Some referees do not give a penalty because they say the player was not going to reach the ball or had lost control so no penalty. Well what about if, as in Cantwell's case, the ref thought the shot was going over the bar? Isn't that the same reasoning for not giving a penalty?

Same Ref as well, wasn't it (Attwell)?

Looked extremely soft to me (the penalty and the Ref)

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Like 1

I think your point about Cantwell's pen has some mileage in it kg. When the path of the ball would mean no possible chance of going to a player (e.g over the bar), may be an option.

P.S kg, where will you be on Saturday morning? 🙂🤞🏉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Whilst the first was an absolute wind-up, I don't have any grumbles about the 2nd penalty.  We've been told 100+ times that your arm should not be in an unnatural position.  Additionally, Todd should have been braver and not turned his back on the ball.  Harsh, maybe, but this is the premier league, not Sunday.

As regards the "Todd penalty" he was trying to gain height to block the shot. Have you ever seen anybody attempt to do this in a split second with their arms rigid by their side !!  For me - no penalty.

6 hours ago, Orly said:

Whilst the first was an absolute wind-up, I don't have any grumbles about the 2nd penalty.  We've been told 100+ times that your arm should not be in an unnatural position.  Additionally, Todd should have been braver and not turned his back on the ball.  Harsh, maybe, but this is the premier league, not Sunday.

Wether it was or it wasn’t the problem here is consistency. If every handball is given then fair play. Our possible penalties against Palace and Villa were not even reviewed.