Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Derby Sack Injured Player

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/30/derby-sack-richard-keogh-car-crash-reduced-wages

Disgusting thing to do and make you proud we stand by our injured players. I'm interested to know though what their reasons for sacking him for gross misconduct(Edit. I guess encouraging or not stopping drink driving) are after they offered to keep on reduced wages.

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Sad 1

Standing by injured players as a result of it being sustained playing football is one thing but Keogh and his mates were behaving like clowns and i do not think the stance taken by Derby County is ' disgusting ' as you put it Kiwi. He is paying for the consequences of his actions.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

I'm on the fence. 

On the one hand, he put himself out of action for over a year (during which time Derby would've had to pay him a seven-figure sum) through his own stupidity and recklessness. There's no doubt a clause in his contract which allows it to be terminated if he gets a serious injury as a result of his own actions. 

On the other hand, would Derby have released him had he had been a younger player with some value in the transfer market? I'm guessing not. At the end of the day, finances come a long way before morals in football nowadays. Also, regardless of how silly he was by putting himself in that situation, he was an incredibly loyal servant to the club. And how 'responsible' was he for the injury? After all, he wasn't the one drink-driving, and we don't know how intoxicated he was during the incident.

I can see both sides of the coin and I'm not sure who I support here.

• Like 2

He’s paying for the consequences of someone else’s actions, he wasn’t driving.

Derby should have sacked all three or none.

The fact that the non injured players were just fined and an injured player who was not criminally charged was sacked on face value looks purely like Derby choosing to save some cash.

Unless there is something specific to him that isn’t currently in the public domain which explains his termination I’d suspect he has a very good case. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

He’s paying for the consequences of someone else’s actions, he wasn’t driving.

Derby should have sacked all three or none.

The fact that the non injured players were just fined and an injured player who was not criminally charged was sacked on face value looks purely like Derby choosing to save some cash.

Unless there is something specific to him that isn’t currently in the public domain which explains his termination I’d suspect he has a very good case. 

Exactly, from moral standpoint it's precisely that. Lawrence in particular is a very good, young and non-injured Championship football who has a market value of several million so there's no way he'd ever be sacked. Keogh, an old, injured player out of contract at the end of the season has no market value whatsoever. It all boils down to money.

One thing specific to Keogh though is that he's the captain. Maybe Derby feel that he should be more responsible and he has more expectation to set an example to team-mates and the general public as a whole.

But realistically, it's hard to argue that Keogh's actions justify a sacking whereas the others don't. Although it could be argued that the others are the ones lucky to not be sacked, rather than Keogh being unlucky.

Could also be the two non-sacked players could be moved on at some point where they would be stuck with Keogh.

We all know why he was "injured" and it was nothing to do with football. And perhaps he wasn't actually driving but too many lives are lost by idiots in charge of vehicles. There's probably more to this than we know but on the face of it I agree with Derby and would expect our community club to do the same.

As captain, he took part in recreation which saw a player with alcohol dependency issues get drunk and then got in his car as a passenger with said drunk driving. 

Didn't look after himself or his friends 

There will have been extra responsibility on Keogh as Club Captain. None of them were short of a taxi fare. Stupid, stupid and stupid. Irish radio reckon Derby will have a watertight case before offering him reduced wages, he refused that, effectively cutting off his nose to spite his face. He was still gonna earn around ten grand a week while being useless to his employer. Only government employees can expect that kind of soft treatment.

Totally appropriate under the circumstances. Not only had the club laid on cars for all of the team which these three refused but it wasnt just drinking.

The front car had stopped at traffic lights, the following car came flying into the back of it and the two drivers legged it back to a flat before realising that Keogh wasn't with them and went back to find him still passed out in the back of one of the cars have a listen to this, from a reputable source (bradders is also implicated by the way)...that is if we can attach audio...

Derby players

Edited by cornish sam
Allegedly!!!!!!! The views expressed above are those of Cornish Sam and not those of archant or the pink un

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He was asked to take a pay cut and refused . The club then sacked him with immediate effect. 

Yep, seems that was appropriate, he was lucky the club had offered anything.

I wonder if two drunken drivers got off sanctions by the club?

Seems to me that the ethical thing to do would have been to sack all three of them.   

The cynic in me sees the club taking the chance to remove an expensive player coming to the end of his career from the wage bill while keeping the players to realise their resale value in the next 8 months.

The other side is he is the club captain.   While we do not know the full story, it seems he has probably led two less mature lads astray in an unauthorised drinking session and for all we know encouraged the drink driving instead of the use of a taxi or two. As the team leader how is that credible?  If that is the cases I can see why there may be differing approach to the too and why a gross misconduct is the right approach to take.  

As always impossible to take a firm view being in possession of a few probably sensationalised shared media facts.

I've zero sympathy for him but the hypocrisy from Derby certainly stinks.

They're not sacking him because they are appalled by his actions, else they would be doing the same to Lawrence and Bennett (the correct thing to do in my opinion). They're sacking him because it will save them some cash.

All parties have come across as pretty s(umbag like if you ask me.

• Like 1

Not hard to work out why the other players haven’t been sacked. Keogh isn’t worth a penny but the other two are worth millions. 
Fact is most clubs would do exactly the same .

Reported on Irish Radio that both younger players were fined six weeks wages on top of their court penalties. Despite it seeming a bit scummy by Derby, why should they as a Club lose millions on those  younger players. I'd expect both of them to be up for sale in January. Keogh for sure should have known better and as Club Captain had a responsibility to keep an eye on the evenings proceedings. No one has come out of this looking good, as Senior player Keogh carries the can. No sympathy for any of them.

Total hypocrisy from Derby. Sack the lot. Drink driving is the scourge of the modern world. Make the level 0.

I could never forgive Luke McCormick for what he did and as soon as he came out of prison he was playing again. And the fact the crowds chanted "Killer" had little effect on him.

Lots of people have done reckless things in their lives and their futures have been blighted and unforgiving. Lawrence will no doubt go on to a lucrative career and forget all about being a pillock when slides toward the crowd on his knees after scoring.

Although I think they should all be sacked I wonder how we would all feel if this was Naismith ( in Keoghs position ) and 2 of our young players say Aaron’s and Lewis ?

People make mistakes. Despite living close to Derby, I don’t know what Keogh’s behaviour has been like in the past but if he is club captain you would think it generally has been positive. He has made 315 appearances for the club. We don’t know how drunk he was when he got in the car, but he wasn’t driving and we don’t know he condoned the other two’s actions. To be sacked, especially given the treatment of the other two, seems unfair and if I was a Derby player, I wouldn’t feel that the club would have my back if I was in difficulty. Maybe he should have accepted the reduced wages, but equally he may have been badly advised.

Edit: I’ve just looked him up in Wikipedia and apparently he started as a trainee at Ipswich, so he got everything he deserved. 😉

I think the key difference between Keogh and the other two from a legal point of view, is that Keogh cannot fulfil the duties of his contract - as a consequence of his gross misconduct. 

Of course Derby have been cute, but who can blame them? After all its Keogh's actions that have led to this. It may seem unfair, but only in the context of the outcome for the other two players. In isolation this is more than justified. 

Edited by Il Pirata

Just now, Il Pirata said:

After all its Keoghs actions that have led to this. It may seem unfair, but only in the context of the two. In isolation this is more than justified. 

You reckon the same thing if he was not the captain? Which seems to be issue. Though his individual involvement in whether the cars drove off in the first place could be a factor.

Edited by KiwiScot

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Where did you find this, Sam? I couldn't get it to play. Would be interested to hear it.

Cheers!

Have PM'd you.

It's from A friend with connections at Blackburn, they'd got the full story because of the bradders connection.

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

You reckon the same thing if he was not the captain? Which seems to be issue. Though his individual involvement in whether the cars drove off in the first place could be a factor.

With all other factors the same, age, contract status, etc.... yes I think the same outcome. I think the captain thing is ultimately irrelevant, although it does (conveniently) help to support Derby's position. 

12 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not hard to work out why the other players haven’t been sacked. Keogh isn’t worth a penny but the other two are worth millions. 
Fact is most clubs would do exactly the same .

That will be a large part of the reason.

But Richard Keogh has never issued a public apology for the incident. That may say a lot about his character as a person, if he is willing to take £25k a week for doing nothing and doesn't even have the decency to issue an apology to Derby fans.

I therefore back Derby on this and couldn't care less about Richard Keogh.

He would have been asked to apologise like the other two players. What sort of club captain would reject that opportunity. 

This type of person is everything that is wrong with football and I hope that he never kicks a ball again. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten