Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

What was Ashton thinking?

One thing that no-one has really highlighted was that 12 months ago when Deano joined us we were bottom of the premiership and had been for a while, at that time we never really looked like getting off the bottom either, but my point is relegation should never have been a big suprise to Mr Ashton as with our position it was always a big possibillity, so my reason for such disappointment was that he couldn`t even give us at least this season to see if we could scrape even the play-offs, he is only 22 its not as if he was in the last chance saloon for having a crack at the premiership.

I seem to remember also that not many teams were willing to take a chance on him either, Spurs, Everton and Palace all baulked at the 3 million price tag that was upon him, things might not have gone to plan for Mr Ashton this season ( god knows us fans didnt expect such a bad one was ahead), but he could have repaid our faith by sticking around until summer at very least.

But he`s gone so with that off my chest lets just pray Worthy uses the cash on Halford, Jerome, Koumas and Eastwood as opposed to Gray, Adebola and Lisbie!!!

Rant over!!!

i think a few people have wondered how committed Deano was to the cause. He never seemed an especially passionate player and no one forced him to sign a new contract in August. I think the West Ham move is a make or break for him though. If he doesn''t succeed there now he wont have a host of clubs chasing him again.

He''s gone now so let''s look forward.

Whilst I have no proof I rather fancy Ashton was totally fed up with Worthingtons training and game plan.Very poor service from midfield,little support up front,high balls outside the area,chasing wide on the wing,winning most of the high balls in defence.

I believe Ashton is a quality striker groomed at a club that plays passing football on the ground I would expect him to get as many goals at West Ham and go on to bigger and better things.

Prudence without ambition NCFC.