Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

"We were not physical enough" - Farke

6 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

It's interesting that the Championship is a big, physical league you have to fight tooth and nail in....

But Norwich City who won it aren't big or physical enough.

Which is exactly the point being made by myself and Parma. Our technical ability was good enough to amass points against physical but less technically able players. This season the physicality is still there but at a higher level of technical ability. As TvB said, the Yayas and Zlatans dont come cheap. Nor the Harry McGuires and Pogbas.   The plan I would assume is to improve in all areas....... Technical, Tactical , physical and Mental. This is going to take time to achieve. I can wait, some cant. C'est la Vie. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I read this some while ago. People liked his antics on City Hall balcony but it's been downhill since. He hasn't done much this season for me.

If he were to take a bit more responsibility he could be good for us in the Championship so I hope he does stay.

The same site mentioned Pukki rejoining Celtic. 

I wasn’t overly impressed with him in the champs. He was immense against Rotherham (away), but we always looked so much better with Vrancic on the pitch. You’re right I. What you say, he got drunk and acted a fool and hasn’t done anything since!

Talking of physicality, that Palace lot are a finally toned bunch of brick outhouses. Credit to them, blowing Bournemouth away.

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I wasn’t overly impressed with him in the champs. He was immense against Rotherham (away), but we always looked so much better with Vrancic on the pitch. You’re right I. What you say, he got drunk and acted a fool and hasn’t done anything since!

He started off the season badly and had a really good spell where he played well,Yeah he was shocking yesterday but is he really as bad as you suggest he is.😊

14 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Talking of physicality, that Palace lot are a finally toned bunch of brick outhouses. Credit to them, blowing Bournemouth away.

We coped quite well against them  in January. I must admit, not conceding in the first 60 mins of any of our next games is a priority. Our fragile defence needs support and keep their shape early doors. Vrancic played that day with Tettey. Wouldn’t mind them returning to the lineup.

We aren’t clever enough either. Watford are a beast of a team but won a number of clever free kicks. When McLean got done for that goal, he either has to wipe him out or get wiped out. He did neither. 

18 minutes ago, Clint said:

We aren’t clever enough either. Watford are a beast of a team but won a number of clever free kicks. When McLean got done for that goal, he either has to wipe him out or get wiped out. He did neither. 

He was trying to social distance lol.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Might as well bump this before TVB does.

I was going to revisit at the end of the season. 

I still think being lightweight is a huge part of our problem, particularly in the middle of the park.

Did think we looked a better side without Duda and Drmic though. Done with the pair of them. 

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Might as well bump this before TVB does.

We weren't that bad tonight, certainly the best league performance since the restart, but "we aren't physical enough" ran through my mind on many occasions.

We weren't good either. That was two poor teams but one was bigger than the other when it needed to be. Kenny should have launched Sar into the stand but he didn't and that sums us up.

On 02/11/2019 at 12:33, Mello Yello said:

Let's see how 'ickle Bournmuff' fare against 'well big' Man Utd......

How did Bournemouth get on this season then Mello?

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How did Bournemouth get on this season then Mello?

Just ever so ickle better than us....but they were finally outdone by a 'technical glitch'.....

On 29/10/2019 at 00:33, TeemuVanBasten said:

It has been the same most weeks, but how exactly do you expect a midfield containing Cantwell, Leitner, Beundia and McLean to cope with a big bulldozer like McTominay? We made him look top class. You wouldn't expect Billy Joe Saunders to beat Tyson Fury, and when he didn't the trainer can't just say "you weren't physical enough", it's genetics, the problem would be that the just isn't big enough.

People on here thought that Isaac Hayden was a bad idea because he's technically limited. Plain to see that we're crying out for an absolute unit because every other team seems to have one, Bournemouth had Billing who was their best player on the day. Again at Burnley and they've got big units, Chris Wood excelled.  

We've got a physically weak team, some teams in this league have full backs built like centre backs. But how can this possibly be the fault of the players? They didn't construct the squad. 

The teams in this league are bigger, stronger, faster, we didn't do anything to prepare for that. Alright saying that our players are still developing their skills and learning but they aren't going to grow 6 inches taller are they. 

And our midfield signing was... Patrick Roberts, another diminutive player. 

Men against boys most weeks, and we could have had Ajayi for £1.5m. 

Apparently Vrancic is the answer now, what another fancy playmaker? He doesn't solve our problem which is that we've brought a lightweight squad to the Premier League.  

Time to bump this thread up again, just to remind a few of you that you have absolutely no right to celebrate if we sign either of Ajayi or Billing in this window, both of whom we've been linked to.

After Webber acknowledged that Leitner, Trybull and Drmic were bombed out for lacking the required physical attributes. Still struggle to understand why I got the backlash for this post, and still feeling somewhat vindicated that it has proven somewhat prophetic AND actually agreed with by Webber.

For example...

On 29/10/2019 at 06:32, Herman said:

So we should buy big lumps that can't play football? I'd do it, I wouldn't be too expensive, but you'd still be booing me off. 

Well..

On 29/10/2019 at 07:30, Herman said:

Aye, I don't mind people coming up with solutions to our problems but the revisionism gets on my wick. 

Makes sure you don't praise Ajayi as a good signing Herman, for I might call you revisionist or captain hindsight.

And what has happened to all this Barcelona guff now that we've sold one of only two players we had that would ever have any chance of getting in their squad, one of the most liked posts in this history of this forum and its a load of completely delusional nonsense...

... now that we've been linked with Billing, Ajayi (both units I suggested in my OP), and Ajer thrown in the mix and with Farke and Webber both talking extensively about how we weren't physically equipped with this league last time.

Makes me realise that a lot of people on this forum have no idea about football at all. . 

On 29/10/2019 at 16:30, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Or people are presenting horribly simplistic solutions as self-certified pub wisdom. 

We can attract young, unproven, technical talent because we play such players. We don’t have a lot of money. Quality technical and big physical players are very expensive and everyone chases them.

We have no money so we go after players with chequered careers, injury risks or those who have travelled without settling or - excellently - quality young players starved of opportunity (that de-facto others have rejected or not opened the door to).

Whatever we choose we want players who can play a fluid, expansive, possession-oriented game. 

To bring in physical players therefore either means the binary of bringing in players who are big and physical (and perhaps not so technical, thus undermining the model) or bringing in players who are big and physical and technical (which every half-baked analyst from a 3rd tier side can identify. They cost a fortune and everybody chases them, thus undermining the model - again). 

We are on a model on the Auxerre-Ajax-Barcelona spectrum of long term methodology and philosophy. We will prefer players we have bred and talent we have schooled. 

If we can have all the assets plus physicality of course we will welcome it with open arms. Of course equal brilliant and superior physical beats just equal brilliant most times. 

To change means so much more than trite pub landlord solutions and simplicities. 

We were incredible last year. It was a wonderful unexpected miracle. We didn’t then spend any money. Other Premier teams already had lots of money and lots of great players. 

Our methodology is refreshing and will maximise our chances and improve our players based on our available parameters. 

Repeatedly upsetting the odds against teams and players that are better is unlikely however. You must believe it and you will sometimes achieve it, though let us not stake our houses on rainbows and unicorns, rather let us enjoy victories against Man City and the wonderful memories of a beautiful and - let’s not forget - the already against the odds and unexpected success of last year.

We are pocketing the cash to develop the model. A pragmatic choice and one that has momentum behind it, though is borne as much out of necessity as choice.

We either go into a gunfight with a knife or we try some innovative guerilla tactics that may not work, though which do not see Steven Naismith in the reserves, but rather see Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell et al receive an unbuyable education, likely enhancing their values (perhaps exponentially) and ‘proving’ to the world that we meant it when we said ‘come here (excellent young, underused player) and you’ll be given a fair chance and a great education.

This way the next Maddison comes to us too. And slightly better young players are attracted than even before. And so it continues. 

Or you could spend a load of cash on big lads that are a bit worse than everybody else’s big lads, with money we don’t have and putting off all the young gifted players  that we haven’t yet signed that are crucial to our sustainability under the current model.

Parma

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

@TeemuVanBasten Parma wasn't saying we're the same ability as Barcelona, shockingly.

Right, but if we now sign Ajayi (who I'd pointed out was available for £1.5m at the time) and the relegated Billing, then we can expect him to predict our impending doom and call into question our sustainability can we?

As it sounds like he'd either have a problem with that business, or didn't actually understand 'the model' at all? Only, all the other people who claimed to understand the 'model' but were unable to explain it, seemed to rally around this post - such as yourself - but aren't rushing to point out that going after Ajer, Billing, and Ajari doesn't fit with what you though the model was?

Because, well, I'm happy that the model is just what I wanted it to be in my OP, but nobody else who bought into what they previously thought 'the model' was seem have given my OP any love at all. Despite it being somewhat prophetic.

On 29/10/2019 at 16:30, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Or you could spend a load of cash on big lads that are a bit worse than everybody else’s big lads, with money we don’t have and putting off all the young gifted players  that we haven’t yet signed that are crucial to our sustainability under the current model.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Has Teemu finally got something right? I can't be arsed to find out. 

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

Has Teemu finally got something right? I can't be arsed to find out. 

No, not really. We've been linked with a couple of players that go against our general thesis of the sort of player we buy and he now seems to think he's a prophet. 

• Haha 2

We've  got  a bit more money so we spend a bit more money. This is exactly how our 'model' should work.

Seems Teemu van Prophet is desperate  to be lauded. For stating  the bleedin obvious. 

Edited by wcorkcanary