Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

"We were not physical enough" - Farke

Regardless of whether you agree with TVB (I'm more inclined to side with the majority personally), I think it is a little harsh of said majority to attack him consistently like this as if he's talking rubbish because a lot of his points are valid. His vision for the club is no less 'correct' than that of Stuart Webber or the majority in this thread- it's just a different strategy, and strangely enough, it's actually the one that the majority of clubs employ.

It's just that the vision of Norwich City, Stuart Webber, presumably also Delia & Michael, and the majority of fans is the long-term approach which focuses on 'the model' rather doing everything possible to stay up this season no matter what.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanuts said:

I think there are reasonable points being made on both sides. Given that we don't have owners who are willing/able to bankroll the club we can't risk spending beyond our means, but at the same time I can't help but feel we'd be more competitive having spent a bit more in the Summer.

I suspect there's a bit of succession planning going on with Delia and Michael wanting to ensure that they leave the club in as healthy a financial position as possible with infrastructure upgrades judged more important longer term than potentially risky spending on the squad for this season.

It does feel like the owners/Webber didn't expect us to stay in the Premier League this season and have planned accordingly. Whether that is 'little ole Norwich' or just the reality for a club of our size and financial might I guess depends on your point of view.

I'm very much a 'happy clapper' rather than a 'pant wetter' by the traditional terminology, but I think there may be some truth here. We know Delia and Michael can't carry on forever, and they're both pushing 80, so I believe they're looking to pass the club on to Tom with a guarantee of financial security. If they can do that with us in the top flight then great, but it doesn't make sense to invest a ton of the promotion money all in one go. Keeping Webber and Farke at the club is more important to the future of our club and the club's philosophy than retaining Premier League status this time around. That doesn't mean we don't want to stay up, it just means we're not prepared to bet the farm in an attempt to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/10/2019 at 07:21, hogesar said:

Here we go...

Two more weeks and itll be "Farke hasnt got a clue "

Anyway our main midfield signing was Amadou.

A loan signing at that with a view to permanent. Do you think if city go down they will be paying the 9 million asking price? And if they do in the self sustaining model who will be sold. Because too many are getting found out at this level to generate a high fee! 

10 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

As stated above Hoggo, TvB will carry on trying from different angles to get someone to say.   " yes, silly me you are right and the Club is wrong"  only he isn't and I for one , won't. Gonna stop reading this thread now cos it's not about out physicality anymore its now about TvB  trying to persuade others with unrelated nonsense that he's right, although what about I'm not completely sure, good luck to all who engage. Mic drop.

Its quite arrogant of you to assume that I would in any way value or respect an apology from you, I'd be likely to tell you to roll it up and insert it in your back passage.

It has been about the same thing from the very first post to my last, the club not spending any money in the summer. Lots of people seem to vehemently support 'the model', which is fine. Apparently its not fine to some people for others to hold an opposing view. 

The venom directed at me from a few people, particularly you and Hogesar, has been pretty appalling. In fact its the type of reaction I'd expect from Scientologists if I dared to be critical of David Miscavige. 

I've asked people to explain 'the model' to me several times, that would be an opportunity to try and convince me of your side of the argument. When you direct insults instead it only seems to imply that you either don't understand 'the model' yourself or that you don't actually believe in 'the model'. I simply don't understand what the big idea is, my punishment for that is to be bullied by a small gang of posters, none of who have made any attempt to explain it to me.

But if this is it..... 

On 29/10/2019 at 10:57, wcorkcanary said:

Now, we have a long long way to go before we're  barca but this is the path we have chosen and I'm fine with 

Then sorry, but that does nothing to persuade me that our fan base isn't suffering from some sort of collective delusion. We've just failed to register a shot on target against Brighton. Another poster thought we could spend £750k and finish 4th. 

Being disappointed that we didn't invest in a few players upon promotion isn't an "out there" opinion, its what the vast majority of promoted sides do. Like Sheffield United, who finished below us in the table last season and currently sit in 6th. 

I'll just bow out and accept that I'm in a minority here, that's fine with me.

I'm not convinced I really am in a minority though in not understanding 'the model', because everybody keeps saying 'the model' but are not accepting the invitation to simply try and explain 'the model' to me.

Don't spend any money so Tom Smith can sustain a Championship club? That's it? Because that's another posters theory and you liked his post? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'll just bow out and accept that I'm in a minority here, that's fine with me.

That's democracy  in  action right there.

Still haven't seen  this quote from SW though.

PS if you think me and hoggo have been venomous, then you need to desensitize  yourself somehow.  The guy, and we all know who he is , who said we could come fourth  could teach you a thing or two about  skin thickening. If you're  going to criticise  the Club(+ or-) then people will answer  your criticisms. And if you quote  people (SW) then you may be asked to substantiate  your quote.  That's life. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

On 29/10/2019 at 00:33, TeemuVanBasten said:

It has been the same most weeks, but how exactly do you expect a midfield containing Cantwell, Leitner, Beundia and McLean to cope with a big bulldozer like McTominay?

We've got a physically weak team, some teams in this league have full backs built like centre backs.

Let's revisit this shall we... With two fit centre backs, a taller full back who could help defend corners, two defensive midfielders who are strong in the tackle and with Buendia and Leitner dropped.... We didn't get bullied off the pitch. 

I copped so much grief got for this, and yet our midfield four looked bloody brilliant yesterday and wasn't going to let themselves get bullied. And we do benefit from the taller full back who can defend corners like a third centre back. 

If Buendia works his way back into the side it needs to be in a more advanced role, and Leitner just has no place unfortunately.  

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Let's revisit this shall we... With two fit centre backs, a taller full back who could help defend corners, two defensive midfielders who are strong in the tackle and with Buendia and Leitner dropped.... We didn't get bullied off the pitch. 

I copped so much grief got for this, and yet our midfield four looked bloody brilliant yesterday and wasn't going to let themselves get bullied. And we do benefit from the taller full back who can defend corners like a third centre back. 

If Buendia works his way back into the side it needs to be in a more advanced role, and Leitner just has no place unfortunately.  

I think that if you reread the whole thread, you'll find  that the " grief " you got was regarding your criticisms of ' the model' eg not spending,   not the fact we weren't physical enough.  Of course  we are going to be  stronger with our preferred players in the right positions.  Well spotted. Yep Byram did well, but also missed a fairly straightforward  chance, coming in from his preferred position,  the right. I enjoyed the game very much as we seemed to  be back to our old confident selves playing our way.....our model, if you like.

Edited by wcorkcanary

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just signed for the team in 6th, a team which has excellent centre backs, after a trial at Roma... whilst we sit rock bottom miles away from safety having to play that donkey Hanley.

You absolute pr*ck. :classic_rolleyes:

What a pleasant individual you are.

On 29/10/2019 at 14:41, nutty nigel said:

What is true is that a lot of our fans don't like the football we play. In fact they absolutely hated it right up to when we started winning last season. At that point it would have been churlish to complain, especially when we were top, but the frustration in the stadium wasn't far below the surface. 

This is not a criticism btw, it can't be wrong not to like something. I'm sure a lot of supporters would prefer a more direct physical style. Where as our style is very much possession based with a much slower build up.

Or maybe it's all a bit pinkdressingroomish and only matters when were losing.

Trouble is NN, if our style is very much possession based, the team (particularly yesterday, and throughout the season) has been very very poor at it.  We give the ball away consistently so so cheaply. Yesterday it was a nightmare, and simple mistakes whilst trying to retain possession has been far too costly this season. 

We are sadly lacking in quality, and to retain possession et al Liverpool or Man City style, requires exactly that!  

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just signed for the team in 6th, a team which has excellent centre backs, after a trial at Roma... whilst we sit rock bottom miles away from safety having to play that donkey Hanley.

You absolute pr*ck. :classic_rolleyes:

I'd rather have Hanley than Rodwell in our squad, for a multitude of reasons.

4 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Think I'd rather be a Canary than a AV supported today

Makes yesterday more palatable!

33 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Trouble is NN, if our style is very much possession based, the team (particularly yesterday, and throughout the season) has been very very poor at it.  We give the ball away consistently so so cheaply. Yesterday it was a nightmare, and simple mistakes whilst trying to retain possession has been far too costly this season. 

We are sadly lacking in quality, and to retain possession et al Liverpool or Man City style, requires exactly that!  

Yesterday we didn't really compete, I don't think many teams would get a result at Old Trafford with just 7 fouls and no yellow cards. Oh and our striker, I mustn't say was rested, was left at home injured so that he could trot around Colney today with Duda.

45 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd rather have Hanley than Rodwell in our squad, for a multitude of reasons.

Good luck with that argument.

the fact that Rodwell has signed for a club 6th in the league (despite not playing a minute) is enough to confirm his status apparently.

Just as Robert Green was Europe league winning goalkeeper last season or Ross Turnball in 2012. 

when I see Rodwell put in any kind of performance which I don’t think Hanley capable of I’ll concede I was wrong. 

Edited by Hillhead

On 24/11/2019 at 05:24, TeemuVanBasten said:

You absolute pr*ck. 

Likely to leave Sheffield United this summer. Only 45 minutes so far in the Fa Cup vs AFC Flyde but could do a job in the championship next season? If he stays fit that's a bonus already.

On 29/10/2019 at 00:33, TeemuVanBasten said:

It has been the same most weeks, but how exactly do you expect a midfield containing Cantwell, Leitner, Beundia and McLean to cope with a big bulldozer like McTominay? We made him look top class. You wouldn't expect Billy Joe Saunders to beat Tyson Fury, and when he didn't the trainer can't just say "you weren't physical enough", it's genetics, the problem would be that the just isn't big enough.

People on here thought that Isaac Hayden was a bad idea because he's technically limited. Plain to see that we're crying out for an absolute unit because every other team seems to have one, Bournemouth had Billing who was their best player on the day. Again at Burnley and they've got big units, Chris Wood excelled.  

We've got a physically weak team, some teams in this league have full backs built like centre backs. But how can this possibly be the fault of the players? They didn't construct the squad. 

The teams in this league are bigger, stronger, faster, we didn't do anything to prepare for that. Alright saying that our players are still developing their skills and learning but they aren't going to grow 6 inches taller are they. 

And our midfield signing was... Patrick Roberts, another diminutive player. 

Men against boys most weeks, and we could have had Ajayi for £1.5m. 

Apparently Vrancic is the answer now, what another fancy playmaker? He doesn't solve our problem which is that we've brought a lightweight squad to the Premier League.  

I stand by every word. 

Trying to stay up without a defensive midfielder, genius! 

On 29/10/2019 at 06:32, Herman said:

So we should buy big lumps that can't play football? I'd do it, I wouldn't be too expensive, but you'd still be booing me off. 

Do you think the current team as Farke put out tonight can after that showing?  They have been second best all season, the table does not lie. And Grant Holt was a unit, but he did’nt  get booed off very often, if at all and gave everything which is more than can be said for every player in the canary shirt tonight. 

On 31/10/2019 at 21:40, hogesar said:

No idea what your point is because with a fully fit squad Godfrey and Zimmerman would be two physical players and Amadou would be in midfield.

Which replicates your Kompany and Toure combination...

Must have missed this brilliant post of yours comparing two Championship players with two world class elite level players... One of them a champions League winning four time African player of the year. 

On 02/11/2019 at 12:33, Mello Yello said:

Let's see how 'ickle Bournmuff' fare against 'well big' Man Utd......

This aged well didn't it, with Bournemouth in the relegation zone.

5 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Do you think the current team as Farke put out tonight can after that showing?  They have been second best all season, the table does not lie. And Grant Holt was a unit, but he did’nt  get booed off very often, if at all and gave everything which is more than can be said for every player in the canary shirt tonight. 

Some people seem to have some strange warped perception of big lads not being very good technically. Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Toure will no doubt disagree. 

Funny that so many of our legends were big tough lads. Chris Sutton, Iwan Roberts, etc. 

Damien Francis and Dean Ashton both had a lovely touch and could play!

Would love a bit of steel in this side, we've just been bullied all season. 

Sheffield United can play! 

Webber spoke about it in pre season. Established Premier League teams can afford players that are both physical and technical, it's the main difference to the leeague below where you tend to get one or the other.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Must have missed this brilliant post of yours comparing two Championship players with two world class elite level players... One of them a champions League winning four time African player of the year. 

Please tell me you're not that thick?

I mean I've seen your other posts so I do have serious doubts but I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt on this one.

Edited by hogesar
Grammar

7 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Webber spoke about it in pre season. Established Premier League teams can afford players that are both physical and technical, it's the main difference to the leeague below where you tend to get one or the other.

Sheffield United seemed capable of building a squad good enough to thrive in the Premier League whilst being a Championship side with a Championship budget with a few summer additions. They are a strong side who can play, as we've seen this season when they played us! 

Was it too much to ask to just have a Tettey replacement to show for a year in the Premier League? 

Trybull and Tettey again next season then?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Please tell me you're not that thick?

Mate you rate Drmic, that puts you at the very top of the thick list. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Even Sheffield have money behind them, it’s a stark reality money isn’t everything but it doesn’t half help.

I feel like Amadu was supposed to be that player but then the apocalypse happened with the injuries. Can't blame it all on bad luck but injuries killed our momentum at the beginning of the season and it didn't at Sheff Utd.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Mate you rate Drmic, that puts you at the very top of the thick list. 

You've put me in the same list of other clubs professional staff who have had to select sides for Champions League fixtures.

So, I'll take that.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sheffield United seemed capable of building a squad good enough to thrive in the Premier League whilst being a Championship side with a Championship budget with a few additions. 

Was it too much to ask to just have a Tettey replacement to show for a year in the Premier League? 

Sheffield United had a plan that allowed them a reasonable budget (£42m on player sales) and a board / owners that really wanted to stay up and reap the benefits that premiership funding gives you... Ours did not. They gave up before a ball was kicked. They do not think relegation is a bad thing.