Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

"We were not physical enough" - Farke

It has been the same most weeks, but how exactly do you expect a midfield containing Cantwell, Leitner, Beundia and McLean to cope with a big bulldozer like McTominay? We made him look top class. You wouldn't expect Billy Joe Saunders to beat Tyson Fury, and when he didn't the trainer can't just say "you weren't physical enough", it's genetics, the problem would be that the just isn't big enough.

People on here thought that Isaac Hayden was a bad idea because he's technically limited. Plain to see that we're crying out for an absolute unit because every other team seems to have one, Bournemouth had Billing who was their best player on the day. Again at Burnley and they've got big units, Chris Wood excelled.  

We've got a physically weak team, some teams in this league have full backs built like centre backs. But how can this possibly be the fault of the players? They didn't construct the squad. 

The teams in this league are bigger, stronger, faster, we didn't do anything to prepare for that. Alright saying that our players are still developing their skills and learning but they aren't going to grow 6 inches taller are they. 

And our midfield signing was... Patrick Roberts, another diminutive player. 

Men against boys most weeks, and we could have had Ajayi for £1.5m. 

Apparently Vrancic is the answer now, what another fancy playmaker? He doesn't solve our problem which is that we've brought a lightweight squad to the Premier League.  

So we should buy big lumps that can't play football? I'd do it, I wouldn't be too expensive, but you'd still be booing me off. 

Here we go...

Two more weeks and itll be "Farke hasnt got a clue "

Anyway our main midfield signing was Amadou.

• Like 2

Aye, I don't mind people coming up with solutions to our problems but the revisionism gets on my wick. 

• Like 1

I’d say Vrancic could partly be an answer. He’s 6ft 2 tall and does actually put his boot in now and again.

We did bring Amadou in to be a potential ‘mid-field enforcer’ , unfortunately circumstances dictate that he’s playing in a role that he doesn’t prefer. We’d look stronger/‘bigger’ with Zim or Klose back with Amadou in midfield. 

• Like 2

Parma's point was the one, if we are good enough, we are big enough. On Sunday we weren't good enough.

@ec-p also adds to it, injuries mean we are weak down the spine of the team

Regardless of whether you agree with TVB, using Barcelona isn't a fair comparison at all. They have the best academy in the world that has given them Messi, Iniesta and Xavi (among others) over the past 15 years, and they're in the top three richest clubs in the world. When you've got those sort of resources you can play how you like, but when you're on a level playing field it isn't so easy.

It's like me complaining that my Citroen won't do 0-60 in five seconds, and then some bloke points out that his mate's Porsche can and the problem must be my car.

Regardless of whether you agree with TVB, using Barcelona isn't a fair comparison at all. 

The point is TVB missed the clear as day point that we signed Amadou to do exactly what he was pointing out. And because of a totally bizarre injury cris at CB, we have had to play him out of position.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Regardless of whether you agree with TVB, using Barcelona isn't a fair comparison at all. 

The point is TVB missed the clear as day point that we signed Amadou to do exactly what he was pointing out. And because of a totally bizarre injury cris at CB, we have had to play him out of position.

That's correct, but it doesn't justify using Barcelona as a comparison to our current situation.

There are places in between the polar opposites voiced so often on this  forum, Parma,  I'm sure was just pointing out that size is not everything... if you have the skills, tactics and cohesion.  Now, we have a long long way to go before we're  barca but this is the path we have chosen and I'm fine with it, as time goes by  we will be able to pick up either bigger faster players with skills equal to or better than our current  squad,  we will build slowly as its the only way  we can afford to improve,. This may not be quick enough for some. Two years ago, no one, especially  DF and SW, thought we'd be in the premier league  already so I for one am taking a daily chill pill and watching with interest to see how we adapt  in the REMAINING TWENTY EIGHT  GAMES.....with 84 points  up for grabs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Barca comparison also ignores that they could be quite physical but in a different way- they were well known for their tactical fouling to break up teams attempting to counter-attack.

4 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Barcelona.

Parma 

What Barca lack in physical attributes they make up with pace, experience, and players with an outstanding ability to read the game and position themselves accordingly to provide effective defensive structure. Busquets is a player that springs to mind. That's what we lack, players who read the game and put themselves in the right place at the right time. I guess this is understandable, when you consider we have midfielders playing in defence, a deeplying playmaker in the number 10 position, and a squad that generally lacks experience - especially at this level. Not to mention the spate of injuries disrupting any sort of rhythm or consistency. 

We do lack physicality - but there's more to it. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Barcelona.

Parma 

One of the richest clubs in the world, in a different league, in a different country, oh so relevant. 

ps. Their defensive midfielder is 6ft 2 and very mobile / all over the shop. That's exactly what Billing and McTominay offer their clubs. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Two years ago, no one, especially  DF and SW, thought we'd be in the premier league 

Two years ago Webber said that not getting promoted would be a disaster and we finished 14th. So I don't know what you are talking about. 

If we have Stieperman in the Number 10, Godfrey and Zimmerman at CB and Amadou in CDM we suddenly look a lot bigger without compromising the style or imagining players that we don't actually own. Injuries are playing a factor as by now, especially at places like Burnley away, Amadou would have been earmarked to start in the centre to act as a physical screen. 

• Like 1

Forgot Aguero was like 6ft5. He seems strong for a little one. Size doesn't matter...It is how you use your body. Bundia would be miles better with Agueros centre of gravity.

1 minute ago, Rolf Harris said:

Forgot Aguero was like 6ft5. He seems strong for a little one. Size doesn't matter...It is how you use your body. Bundia would be miles better with Agueros centre of gravity.

Don't worry, I forgot Aguero was a centre midfielder. 

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Two years ago Webber said that not getting promoted would be a disaster and we finished 14th. So I don't know what you are talking about. 

I think, shockingly, you've either mis-read something or not read it in context. Webber didn't think promotion was a realistic option in Farke's first season in charge.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Call me a snowflake, but I’m not sure using the name of someone convicted of sexual offences against children is a great idea?

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Call me a snowflake, but I’m not sure using the name of someone convicted of sexual offences against children is a great idea?

Unless said poster happens to be Rolf Harris. Then it would be a little harsh to not let him use his own name.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Unless said poster happens to be Rolf Harris. Then it would be a little harsh to not let him use his own name.

Fair point, well made.

I'm not one for rushing to judgement without evidence but I remain to be convinced that Rolf Harris is either a Norwich supporter (although I can see we wouldn’t be making it public knowledge) or if he was that he would post on here as himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Really? Please do link to quote,  if possible. I only  remember  both playing down expectations  . But hey ho I've been wrong  before. July 1968 I think it was.😉

What is true is that a lot of our fans don't like the football we play. In fact they absolutely hated it right up to when we started winning last season. At that point it would have been churlish to complain, especially when we were top, but the frustration in the stadium wasn't far below the surface. 

This is not a criticism btw, it can't be wrong not to like something. I'm sure a lot of supporters would prefer a more direct physical style. Where as our style is very much possession based with a much slower build up.

Or maybe it's all a bit pinkdressingroomish and only matters when were losing.

23 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What is true is that a lot of our fans don't like the football we play. In fact they absolutely hated it right up to when we started winning last season. At that point it would have been churlish to complain, especially when we were top, but the frustration in the stadium wasn't far below the surface. 

This is not a criticism btw, it can't be wrong not to like something. I'm sure a lot of supporters would prefer a more direct physical style. Where as our style is very much possession based with a much slower build up.

Or maybe it's all a bit pinkdressingroomish and only matters when were losing.

I think that's fair. Does seem to be the case amongst a lot of our support. For example in Farke's first season I still enjoyed plenty of games which, according to quite a few posters on here at the time, were incredibly tedious, boring and a bit of a snorefest. 

Like you say it's not a wrong-or-right scenario; but i'm glad we stuck with it because personally the football last season was some of the best I can remember as a NCFC fan (Ok, i'm not the oldest but still!)

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Don't worry, I forgot Aguero was a centre midfielder. 

Why does position matter? The argument was about size. It was simply pointed out that Aguero doesn't get bullied by big defenders. So in the same context why would it matter your size against a DM. 

Or people are presenting horribly simplistic solutions as self-certified pub wisdom. 

We can attract young, unproven, technical talent because we play such players. We don’t have a lot of money. Quality technical and big physical players are very expensive and everyone chases them.

We have no money so we go after players with chequered careers, injury risks or those who have travelled without settling or - excellently - quality young players starved of opportunity (that de-facto others have rejected or not opened the door to).

Whatever we choose we want players who can play a fluid, expansive, possession-oriented game. 

To bring in physical players therefore either means the binary of bringing in players who are big and physical (and perhaps not so technical, thus undermining the model) or bringing in players who are big and physical and technical (which every half-baked analyst from a 3rd tier side can identify. They cost a fortune and everybody chases them, thus undermining the model - again). 

We are on a model on the Auxerre-Ajax-Barcelona spectrum of long term methodology and philosophy. We will prefer players we have bred and talent we have schooled. 

If we can have all the assets plus physicality of course we will welcome it with open arms. Of course equal brilliant and superior physical beats just equal brilliant most times. 

To change means so much more than trite pub landlord solutions and simplicities. 

We were incredible last year. It was a wonderful unexpected miracle. We didn’t then spend any money. Other Premier teams already had lots of money and lots of great players. 

Our methodology is refreshing and will maximise our chances and improve our players based on our available parameters. 

Repeatedly upsetting the odds against teams and players that are better is unlikely however. You must believe it and you will sometimes achieve it, though let us not stake our houses on rainbows and unicorns, rather let us enjoy victories against Man City and the wonderful memories of a beautiful and - let’s not forget - the already against the odds and unexpected success of last year.

We are pocketing the cash to develop the model. A pragmatic choice and one that has momentum behind it, though is borne as much out of necessity as choice.

We either go into a gunfight with a knife or we try some innovative guerilla tactics that may not work, though which do not see Steven Naismith in the reserves, but rather see Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell et al receive an unbuyable education, likely enhancing their values (perhaps exponentially) and ‘proving’ to the world that we meant it when we said ‘come here (excellent young, underused player) and you’ll be given a fair chance and a great education.

This way the next Maddison comes to us too. And slightly better young players are attracted than even before. And so it continues. 

Or you could spend a load of cash on big lads that are a bit worse than everybody else’s big lads, with money we don’t have and putting off all the young gifted players  that we haven’t yet signed that are crucial to our sustainability under the current model.

Parma

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1