Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

A bit of perspective

While some of us had higher hopes before the start of the season, most people (quite rightly) expected us to be fighting for survival. We obviously set the bar pretty high by beating Man City so it is understandable to be disappointed by the run of games since - just 1 point from 5 matches is a poor return. However, we are not far away from where we would have expected to be and I'm sure we will turn things around. When reflecting on the first quarter of the season, keep in mind the following:

• We have played 7 out of the current top 10 in the league. While no Premier League game is easy, we have faced a disproportionate number of the better (and more in-form) teams. We will have easier runs of fixtures in which to make up points.
  • We have faced a ridiculous injury crisis of unprecedented scale. It was always a gamble to largely stick with the promoted squad, but imagine if it was £100m worth of new signings lining the treatment room right now.
  • Just 1 win could see us out of the relegation zone.
  • We are involved in some very entertaining games. Last night was quite a spectacle, even though the performance was poor on the whole. I would much rather see that kind of drama than a tight and cagey 1-0 loss.
  • Even if we do get relegated we will be in a great position. Obviously it would be a big loss, but we would be in great shape to tear up the Championship again. Last season was the best I can remember.

I'd rather we had won a couple more games, but things are likely to improve over the coming weeks. Let's enjoy the roller-coaster ride that is supporting Norwich!

• Like 12

Take your common sense words elsewhere, what we need now is some ore yelling into the ether about how unfair it is and how someone else should spend a load more money or give the club away.

Bbooooooooooooo 

• Haha 1

Well done Petriix 👍

You could also add the utterly priceless education that our young players are receiving as they play regularly at the highest level.

Whatever now happens, they vastly improve as players and assets. The weekly level is well beyond anything in even single games at lower levels and little can prepare you for the dynamic intensity and scrutiny. 

We cannot compete financially, but we can compete by offering pathways and opportunities. Players ultimately want to play.

For too long fine talent has been hoarded and hidden. We can be proud that we are in the vanguard of the movement away from that.

Parma

• Like 5

Just now, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Well done Petriix 👍

You could also add the utterly priceless education that our young players are receiving as they play regularly at the highest level.

Whatever now happens, they vastly improve as players and assets. The weekly level is well beyond anything in even single games at lower levels and little can prepare you for the dynamic intensity and scrutiny. 

We cannot compete financially, but we can compete by offering pathways and opportunities. Players ultimately want to play.

For too long fine talent has been hoarded and hidden. We can be proud that we are in the vanguard of the movement away from that.

Parma

Massively correct but according to some on here all our young players are now only ever going to be 'championship standard' despite them only playing a few games at 21 years old at this level.

The original post is also very good and full of logic and common sense.

I've seen ridiculous posts like "we're down already" or "lose 2 more games and thats us done". I can't help but be glad our players have a little more backbone than our support!

• Like 1

Some good points from the poster here. This is in no way a point to spur negativity onto a positive perspective post, but to add to as to why we are perhaps not firing on all cylinders, so to speak, is because Farke and his coaching team haven't yet worked out the best combination of players for a match yet? Aside from injuries making this task harder, I am sure he hasn't found his ideal formula yet for being competitive in the Prem, consistently. 

I agree with what you say for the time being; and whilst the injury crisis is no doubt a huge problem it also makes it difficult to gauge the actual level of a fully-fit squad.

Without question,  by the end of the year we will have a very good idea as to whether we are equipped for a reasonable chance of survival.

Well put! 

I think the one point I dispute strongly is that we will tear up the championship if we got relegated. Momentum is huge and it will be a huge challenge to get back to being a winning team. Huddersfield and Cardiff were both disciplined with spending and have struggled to adapt back to the championship. We will also have to adapt to being be plucked clean of the youngsters, which is a depressing but realistic thought. 

I believe we can turn the corner, but we have to do it soon. We need to start getting more points on the road and getting our mojo back at home. 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

While some of us had higher hopes before the start of the season, most people (quite rightly) expected us to be fighting for survival. We obviously set the bar pretty high by beating Man City so it is understandable to be disappointed by the run of games since - just 1 point from 5 matches is a poor return. However, we are not far away from where we would have expected to be and I'm sure we will turn things around. When reflecting on the first quarter of the season, keep in mind the following:

• We have played 7 out of the current top 10 in the league. While no Premier League game is easy, we have faced a disproportionate number of the better (and more in-form) teams. We will have easier runs of fixtures in which to make up points.
  • We have faced a ridiculous injury crisis of unprecedented scale. It was always a gamble to largely stick with the promoted squad, but imagine if it was £100m worth of new signings lining the treatment room right now.
  • We are involved in some very entertaining games. Last night was quite a spectacle, even though the performance was poor on the whole. I would much rather see that kind of drama than a tight and cagey 1-0 loss.
  • Even if we do get relegated we will be in a great position. Obviously it would be a big loss, but we would be in great shape to tear up the Championship again. Last season was the best I can remember.

I'd rather we had won a couple more games, but things are likely to improve over the coming weeks. Let's enjoy the roller-coaster ride that is supporting Norwich!

All reasonable points.

Yet it doesn't change the fact that the main concern from this season is not the fact we're not winning- it is that we're being beaten comfortably in pretty much all of these games. I'd be feeling much more positive if we'd given Burnley or Villa a bit more of a game but right now we feel a long way from being a team who can compete at this level.

Why does everyone think that our "youngsters" will be in such demand if we go down when they have looked almost completely out of their depth so far? Lewis has been the best of the bunch so far, and even he has made some basic errors. Aarons is all over the place defensively in comparison to the standards being set by Wan-Bissaka and Alexander-Arnold. Godfrey was our big hope, yet positionally he is being destroyed.

Do you really see Cantwell getting in anyone else's  team? Or Godfrey? 

They might get in a promoted team's squad, but I doubt it would be for big money.

17 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Why does everyone think that our "youngsters" will be in such demand if we go down when they have looked almost completely out of their depth so far? Lewis has been the best of the bunch so far, and even he has made some basic errors. Aarons is all over the place defensively in comparison to the standards being set by Wan-Bissaka and Alexander-Arnold. Godfrey was our big hope, yet positionally he is being destroyed.

They might get in a promoted team's squad, but I doubt it would be for big money.

Because other teams will see the raw potential and believe they can polish these players.

Ryan Sessengon didn't have a great first season in the top flight but still went to Spurs for over £20m.

Godfrey and Aarons are both now in the u21 set up- if they play well there many scouts/managers might think 'they've got it but they aren't being helped by playing in a team like Norwich.

Godfrey, for instance, is a calm, confident central defender with real ability on the ball who isn't afraid to step out of defence. He needs to work on his positioning and his reading of the game at times. But someone like Spurs might think he'd look better with higher quality players around him, covering for his weaknesses. Similarly they might look at Aarons and think his defensive flaws might be less of an issue for a team like Spurs where most teams aren't going to be pro-actively attacking them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

They're young and they're playing in a struggling team. It also doesn't help that they're playing in a very inexperienced backline- I can't help but get the impression that if you were to put any one of Lewis, Aarons or Godfrey in an experienced defence they'd look more assured.

As individuals, they've got lots of quality and the potential to play at the top, which is why big clubs will pay a lot of money for them. But as a unit, they're lacking a leader. 

• Like 3

No one can say they're surprised to see such a young defence - we knew this was the plan in August. Misfortune with injuries to all of the more experienced players around them has been and continues to be costly. If survival is achieved, their market prices will be high and they may very well choose to stay anyway. If we're relegated, they might stay and will be wiser & more experienced for another promotion push. If they move to another top-flight club, they must have been deemed to have done well and the club pockets the fees which will hopefully be put to good use and we wish them well. Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell all have great potential & are learning on the job. Buendia turns 23 on Christmas Day, if I'm not mistaken. Plenty of time on their side. Webber's record here so far is impressive at getting good fees on player sales. Players will virtually always move on, for lots of different reasons. We have some good young players (assets??!!) here. Enjoy them. And support them. 

• Like 2

Reasonable post unlike some of the replies... just do not understand why people insist that others lack "backbone" just because they have a different view. I certainly would not demand others go and support someone else because they re happy at losing games and not investing sufficiently. OTBC!

21 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Well done for getting a post in without slagging off Tim Krul 👍🏼

On 30/10/2019 at 08:46, Alex Moss said:

Well done for getting a post in without slagging off Tim Krul 👍🏼

If you paid attention you would know that I have given Krul huge credit for his overall improvement this season. He has clearly stepped up his overall game in the face of realistic competition for his place. That doesn't make any of my criticisms from last year incorrect - the fact that he could make such a vast improvement indicates that he wasn't at his best last season.

On 29/10/2019 at 12:32, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

They're young and they're playing in a struggling team. It also doesn't help that they're playing in a very inexperienced backline- I can't help but get the impression that if you were to put any one of Lewis, Aarons or Godfrey in an experienced defence they'd look more assured.

As individuals, they've got lots of quality and the potential to play at the top, which is why big clubs will pay a lot of money for them. But as a unit, they're lacking a leader. 

But that's my point - they're actually not that young, in comparison to other clubs. Watch the Liverpool v Arsenal game from last night to see what they are up against and how they will be judged.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

But that's my point - they're actually not that young, in comparison to other clubs. Watch the Liverpool v Arsenal game from last night to see what they are up against and how they will be judged.

They're defenders, and the young defenders in that game conceded five goals each against their opponent's reserve team.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

But I mean, they are young.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

If you paid attention you would know that I have given Krul huge credit for his overall improvement this season. He has clearly stepped up his overall game in the face of realistic competition for his place. That doesn't make any of my criticisms from last year incorrect - the fact that he could make such a vast improvement indicates that he wasn't at his best last season.

So are you saying you were wrong on Krul? Or have you not come to terms with that yet?

On 28/10/2019 at 12:23, Petriix said:

This could become the post of the season. Well done 👍

• Like 1

On 28/10/2019 at 12:23, Petriix said:

I’d take issue with you on this point, as our history of relegations (and what follows) should tell us that the team going down are unlikely to be in good shape. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that again.

3 hours ago, Grando said:

I’d take issue with you on this point, as our history of relegations (and what follows) should tell us that the team going down are unlikely to be in good shape. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that again.

I don't recall us ever retaining so much of the promoted team. Historically, problems after relegation have been caused by having too many players on big salaries and minimal commitment to the club. This is very different.

• Like 1