Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Gloves !

A lovely late October mild afternoon and somebody ran out wearing gloves FFS ! I cannot name him as he is a local lad who came through the academy. 😜

Seriously though he will be wearing one of his stupid woolly hats and a scarf by the time we get to January and the temperatures are near freezing so for goodness sake man up young man.

Agree with both comments. Especially considering there was several players out there who were from warmer climes.

Glad he was pulled at h/t because he's too weak for this league, at the moment anyway. To many yokels building him up because they're craving for a local hero.

• Like 3

Footballers should be banned from wearing gloves.

There is no need for them and wearing them yesterday was a complete joke.

36 minutes ago, Mind the gap said:

Agree with both comments. Especially considering there was several players out there who were from warmer climes.

Glad he was pulled at h/t because he's too weak for this league, at the moment anyway. To many yokels building him up because they're craving for a local hero.

Why didn't you point out he was too weak for this league in the first 4 or 5 games this season? From what I can see his strength hasn't changed whatsoever from then till now..

• Like 4

Watching  the video  of the training session ,not like it used to be in big Duncan's day ,I remember watching them piggy back each other up and down  moushole heath .Think it would kill today's players! 

Quite a lot of players wear gloves. It's not just to keep their little handy pandies warm, it's medically proven that if you keep the extremities warm, the body will waste less energy trying to keep them up to temperature and therefore mean the energy can go where its needed most - in their legs...or maybe in some cases, their brains. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Why didn't you point out he was too weak for this league in the first 4 or 5 games this season? From what I can see his strength hasn't changed whatsoever from then till now..

I didn't mention it earlier because several were already saying he's brushed off the ball to easily. It's been obvious all season.

But hey ho, the game is all about opinions, and if you'rs is that he's up to the task then the best of british to you.

I hope you're right in the long run.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Quite a lot of players wear gloves. It's not just to keep their little handy pandies warm, it's medically proven that if you keep the extremities warm, the body will waste less energy trying to keep them up to temperature and therefore mean the energy can go where its needed most - in their legs...or maybe in some cases, their brains. 

Well it didn't work for Cantwell yesterday

Not sure why anyone gives the slightest toss about this. Fair enough if you went to a piano recital and the pianist was wearing oven gloves, but hands are pretty irrelevant in football.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Not sure why anyone gives the slightest toss about this. Fair enough if you went to a piano recital and the pianist was wearing oven gloves, but hands are pretty irrelevant in football.

If Cantwell hadn't been wearing them he would have buried his chance. Fact.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Crying out for fur-lined mankinis to sort out the meat and two veg dept. 

The club needs to be more proactive over things like this 😉

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

A lovely late October mild afternoon and somebody ran out wearing gloves FFS ! I cannot name him as he is a local lad who came through the academy. 😜

Seriously though he will be wearing one of his stupid woolly hats and a scarf by the time we get to January and the temperatures are near freezing so for goodness sake man up young man.

What's more pathetic?

A) A footballer wearing gloves in mid-October

b) Someone getting annoyed at a footballer wearing gloves in mid-October

There is a right answer, by the way.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This is actually absolutely correct, Lakey - a footballer or any other top level athlete are under many restrictions with what they can and can’t do to try and enhance their performance so increasing circulation by wearing gloves as it does start to get nippier is certainly one way of doing this - marginal gains as another poster coined it, and top pro takes note of such things. So I’m sorry to say it won’t just be local footballers from Dereham that do this - watch the boys at the likes of Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal from here on in and you’ll see it’s actually a very common thing indeed. 

Big Dunc and co might well have not approved all those years ago, but in fairness, in that era a footballers healthy meal was beef dripping cod and chips washed down with a pint of Watneys Red Barrel, and there was no such thing as a Head of Performance at football clubs in those days - so things have ever so slightly moved on from when football was such a simple game. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Tell that to Cantwell , the ref and VAR.

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

This is actually absolutely correct, Lakey - a footballer or any other top level athlete are under many restrictions with what they can and can’t do to try and enhance their performance so increasing circulation by wearing gloves as it does start to get nippier is certainly one way of doing this - marginal gains as another poster coined it, and top pro takes note of such things. So I’m sorry to say it won’t just be local footballers from Dereham that do this - watch the boys at the likes of Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal from here on in and you’ll see it’s actually a very common thing indeed. 

Big Dunc and co might well have not approved all those years ago, but in fairness, in that era a footballers healthy meal was beef dripping cod and chips washed down with a pint of Watneys Red Barrel, and there was no such thing as a Head of Performance at football clubs in those days - so things have ever so slightly moved on from when football was such a simple game. 

In the 45 minutes he was on the pitch I didn't notice any marginal gain although of course there might have been. If so, it makes you wonder how much worse he would have been if his performance was improved by wearing gloves.

To be honest it's a load of tosh and no doubt someone has got rich for thinking of it it and selling "special marginal gain gloves" to rich and gullible footballers.

Edited by Making Plans

My rather short Irish friend,dressed in green, has a marginal gain "pot o gold " buried at the end  of yonder premier League Rainbow. Trouble is , when you get there , no matter how much you dig, it ain't there anymore. He told me, in confidence of course, that to really crack the enigma of the rainbow, the trick is not to chase the gold at the end but to enjoy the Rainbow and the sunshine and rain that causes it to appear. 

There is no ' end' , so just enjoy the ride.

Did Todd have a bit of elastic that joined the gloves together and went up his shirtsleeves, across his shoulders and down the other sleeve so that he didn't lose them?

While it appears to be more of a fashion, I saw someone wearing gloves but wearing a short sleeve shirt, it probably helps soak up the snot.

4 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

and that was just the half time 'refreshment'

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bill said:

and that was just the half time 'refreshment'

That was probably true! But in all honesty, I think Glovegate is the least of our worries at the moment!

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

That was probably true! But in all honesty, I think Glovegate is the least of our worries at the moment!

not sure there are that many worries at the moment - there are nearly 30 more games

which is probably why the usual whingers have had to sink to this level to find something to whine about

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Making Plans said:

In the 45 minutes he was on the pitch I didn't notice any marginal gain although of course there might have been. If so, it makes you wonder how much worse he would have been if his performance was improved by wearing gloves.

To be honest it's a load of tosh and no doubt someone has got rich for thinking of it it and selling "special marginal gain gloves" to rich and gullible footballers.

You know that for a fact do you?

• Like 1

As an ex long distance runner, I am amused to see substitutes about to come onto the pitch with five minutes to go taking a gel! What energy have you just drained that you need to replace?

So much of football is copycat. You only have to see your grandchildren wanting so and so's boots, gloves, body armour and heart monitor that it is understandable when you see even the pros wearing things like gloves.

And it has been pointed out, he may have a medical reason for wearing gloves. But be prepared to see youngsters wearing them and an alice band.