Sign in to follow this  
Bill

We don't need to spend...

......................... as some of the numpties on here are saying - albeit they are almost all bin filth.

However some should take a look at most of the other clubs who have been relegated. usually with three years parachute payments. Buried and forgotten in the main.

If we go down in May that will mean we receive only two years payments of a decreasing amount to what we have now. Thankfully though were that to happen most of our squad a players who have dramatically improved (their value) since signing for us. So would not be the same as having the likes of Naismiths contract to deal with.

However my thought is that the club have set a long term plan in motion that means identifying players who can then be 'brought up to speed' so as to eventually be PL standard. There might be a case to be made if this was not happening - but it is working . Watching Buendia and the Onel it would be hard to imagine that either didn't cost us in excesse of £10m. And would anyone have left CR tonight saying that was money wasted it it was true ? Whether Aarons was using this as a 'showcase' I don't know but he certainly looked like an excellent buy if we had signed him for £10m.

And that is pretty much my point. Simply spending money is not a guarantee, but the way we are doing things appears to be. Look at Krul today. What is it we are doing right to turn a 30 year old languishing on the bench into what he was today ? Absolutely stunning.

We don't need expensive signings, we need to keep to the plan that has taken us to the PL, won the title on the way, cleared our debts and put one helluva lot of belief back into the club. And I don't doubt we have made financial provision for relegation just as we have made provision for coaching and developing players on a long term basis. So to paraphase a chant.

'We're Norwich, we'll do it our way '

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think there are a lot of us who are just weary at yet another season being one of the EPL “also -rans”.

Is it too much to ask that we are able to have a decent chance at staying up after 10 matches?

As many of us who are just weary of folk whining that we don't have a guaranteed place in the PL

As stated take a look at Blackpool, Blackburn, Bolton, Boro'..........QPR, Sunderland, Swansea,  maybe their fans are 'weary' or even sweary... clueless even, as to how to get into the position you are whining about

So shut your gob, and appreciate what is going on at the club instead  🖕

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Seemingly yes. 

All very disappointing but not unexpected. just have to accept that we are a club with very conservative owners and limited ambition. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

As many of us who are just weary of folk whining that we don't have a guaranteed place in the PL

As stated take a look at Blackpool, Blackburn, Bolton, Boro'..........QPR, Sunderland, Swansea,  maybe their fans are 'weary' or even sweary... clueless even, as to how to get into the position you are whining about

I think the only bin filth you speak of comes from yourself. What makes you think you have the right to state that fans cannot be weary! Norwich City from the very mouth of their own footballing director and board, as well as the owners, suggest that our club is to become self funding. So yes, we might bring players up to speed as you say, but those any good are the self funding model! 

But are the Aaron’s, Lewis’s and Godfrey’s and Cantwell’s  actually up to speed as you call it. Current results suggest not, and last seasons defensive record wasn’t brilliant either! What is very very apparent is that Norwich are very very short of quality. Yes I agree,  none of the current squad cost a packet, other than Amadou perhaps, and will he be signed at 8million + should city go down, supporters have a right to be weary because at this time the model being followed is not working, results suggest so. Yes we have been unfortunate with injuries, but we conceded goals regularly last season. That needed addressing, and hasn’t been! Are we bringing our youth up to premier league standard. You carry on thinking that, I’ll continue to be wary! Oh, and one club fallen by the wayside you forgot to mention. Huddersfield!!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bill said:

I’m very appreciative of what the club have been doing, doesn’t make fans any less disappointed that we’re unable to compete off the pitch in terms of money or, as was the case today, on the pitch.

• Like 2

If we have a "way" and that way is finding underpriced gems like Buendia and Hernandez and polishing them up a bit then that's great. 

But why didn't we spend a few million on signing another one in the summer? We loaned a once overhyped English kid on loan from Man City. 

Seems to be a bit of a flaw in this plan. We spent £1m on Godfrey and £4m on Maddison under McNally so not really a new idea. 

What hidden gems did we sign this summer? What 20 year old centre back did we sign for £3m with a view to them being a Klose successor with £20m in a few years? 

Of did we abandon our 'way'? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we have a "way" and that way is finding underpriced gems like Buendia and Hernandez and polishing them up a bit then that's great. 

But why didn't we spend a few million on signing another one in the summer? We loaned a once overhyped English kid on loan from Man City. 

Seems to be a bit of a flaw in this plan. We spent £1m on Godfrey and £4m on Maddison under McNally so not really a new idea. 

What hidden gems did we sign this summer? What 20 year old centre back did we sign for £3m with a view to them being a Klose successor with £20m in a few years? 

Rocky Bushiri?

• Like 1

We do need to spend money to be competitive in the EPL it's as simple as that. Whether we have any, or whether we choose to is another matter. 

We need 2 midfielders, another CH and probably a striker. Oh and a goalie if Fahrmann is long term.

Its tiresome that we repeat the same mistakes every time we are promoted. We won the league yet the two sides that came up with us are now streets ahead. Why is that? Why is it we always fail so miserably in the top flight? No doubt Weber will blame us again..  so boring. I respect City fans that are happy to be also runs in this league, I just think it's pointless doing all that hard work and then not giving ourselves a chance because of financial constraints imposed on us by our owners. Time to lose the little old Norwich tag and actually reach our potential.

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We didn't abandon our way- it is just our way is very difficult.

There isn't an unending supply of young, talented players to be picked up for £2-3m, especially when teams know you've got Premier League money. Webber made it look easy over the past couple of seasons but if it was, everyone would be doing it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

We didn't abandon our way- it is just our way is very difficult.

There isn't an unending supply of young, talented players to be picked up for £2-3m, especially when teams know you've got Premier League money. Webber made it look easy over the past couple of seasons but if it was, everyone would be doing it.

Where's the succession planning? So if we lose Godfrey, Aarons, Beundia in the summer... We've run out of good £3m players to sign apparently (you said it). 

But let's say we sign some anyway, are they going to need a year to bed in again (see our 14th place finish), so that rules out being a yo-yo team does it? 

Perhaps the plan is flawed. Relegation and we won't be able to keep this squad together, and the academy conveyor belt seems to have stalled. 

Don't forget who signed Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, and Maddison. All came from elsewhere.  

Apart from losing Aarons,Lewis and Godfrey if we go back down all of whom were not signed by Webber don't forget he will be off in less than 3 years so what then ?

27 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Where's the succession planning? So if we lose Godfrey, Aarons, Beundia in the summer... We've run out of good £3m players to sign apparently (you said it). 

But let's say we sign some anyway, are they going to need a year to bed in again (see our 14th place finish), so that rules out being a yo-yo team does it? 

Perhaps the plan is flawed. Relegation and we won't be able to keep this squad together, and the academy conveyor belt seems to have stalled. 

Don't forget who signed Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, and Maddison. All came from elsewhere.  

I don't doubt the team has some succession planning in place- worth saying that finding players like this at Championship level is obviously much easier.

However I agree we should have been able to spend more this summer. All we've added is backups and loanees with no real competition, while handing out Premier League contracts to players who've yet to prove themselves in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Apart from losing Aarons,Lewis and Godfrey if we go back down all of whom were not signed by Webber don't forget he will be off in less than 3 years so what then ?

I don't believe we'd lose all three if we went down. If we went down this season conceding at the rate we are they would be 3 of the back 4 who conceded all those goals. Looking at it a bit simplistically, I know, but I don't believe we'd have too many offers that we couldn't refuse for them in that scenario.

28 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't believe we'd lose all three if we went down. If we went down this season conceding at the rate we are they would be 3 of the back 4 who conceded all those goals. Looking at it a bit simplistically, I know, but I don't believe we'd have too many offers that we couldn't refuse for them in that scenario.

Good point, so we have a defence that has leaked goals like a sieve for a season or two and we are supposed to worry about the players involved being lured away to bigger and better things????

I am disappointed with how it has gone this season. But not because we have not spent.

It was always going to be hard in this division but I am disappointed because injuries have prevented us from giving it our best shot. We just do not know how close to the pace we might have been had we have been able to field something resembling our first choice team. 

The plan looks to have been give it a go with what we have. The lesson of the horrendous financial situation we found ourselves in from the last venture into the premiership having been learned. That has meant accepting relegation as more likely than not but being in good financial order to bounce straight back up. It’s not a bad plan and probably the only realistic option we had given the financial difficulties we have been through.

However there is a huge downside to such a plan. It makes for a dour season for loyal supporters when the team are struggling to compete. There is bound to be dissatisfaction and the unity that characterised last season stretched to breaking point. Injuries it is said should not be used as an excuse but they have blighted the spectacle we might have anticipated this season.

OTBC

• Thanks 1

The one area where the team is failing is that we have too many players who have not stepped up - particularly those who we thought would. Krul has been simply immense; Aarons and Lewis are improving with every game; Cantwell and Pukki have already shown what they can do but even they have dropped off in the last couple of games.

Unfortunately, Stiepermann, Leitner, Maclean haven't turned up yet. Godfrey and Amadou are both hopelessly inconsistent. They both can go from brilliant to diabolical in the space of 5 seconds. Buendia can't get going, a flash of genius followed by a dreadful pass.

We have lost 5 of our 10 games by half time against teams who press high with pace and power - exactly what we were doing last year and which we've stopped doing. Farke keeps saying we won't change the way we play, but we have. Apart from Newcastle at home we haven't really had a sustained, proper go at anyone. Yesterday we were timid and terrified of their pace, yet didn't push up as a unit; we didn't press as a team. Leitner and Maclean were simply dreadful again. Cantwell tried hard but is clearly in need of a rest and is far too lightweight in this company. Only Hernandez and Aarons really went for them; there was no confidence, no urgency and no belief.

Mactominay destroyed us yesterday, just as Grealish did. And no one seemed to notice what was happening when it was blindingly obvious. He was barely challenged - Leitner was so far off the pace, just as he was against Villa.

Unless and until we start playing as we did last season we have no chance. Injuries are a part of this of course, but I doubt Zimmermann alone would make a difference and he is really all that's missing. Vrancic was an important supplement last year and we miss that option. We also made some poor signings - Roberts and Drmic in particular - we needed players who could hit the ground running, not take weeks to acclimatise. And as we all said at the time, not buying someone to improve an already poor defence was a mistake.

We knew every player had to step for us to have a chance and we all thought they could - maybe we were wrong about lots of them and they just aren't good enough. Or maybe our management is losing the plot slightly and asking players to do jobs they are not capable of doing.

If Amadou is fit for the weekend, he has to revert to his proper position, alongside Tettey. If he isn't, start Trybull. Put Byram at centre back. Play Buendia as the number 10 behind Pukki and start Hernandez, push Maclean forward. 

Hold it until 20 minutes left then put Vrancic on for Maclean.

It's not too late yet - but lose the next two, and we are as good as down. But let's at least give it a go, instead of letting the most average United team in 30 years roll over us.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Whole squad got long contracts so are we left with a Championship standard squad for 4 years? Or do we need to cash in on Godfrey to pay the compensation we'll need for mutual termination to make room for new players? 

I don't see the long term planning, the plan seems to have been to commit to this group of players for the next 3 or 4 years rather than spend money on new ones.

Unfortunately if you sign up Championship standard players on long contracts then guess where you will probably be for the long term? 

35 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

But let's at least give it a go, instead of letting the most average United team in 30 years roll over us.

I know we weren't great, but Man U looked sharp and confident from the off, not quite the wounded animal we might have hoped for. They're not a vintage Man U team by any means, but I thought they turned in a good performance yesterday.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Whole squad got long contracts so are we left with a Championship standard squad for 4 years? Or do we need to cash in on Godfrey to pay the compensation we'll need for mutual termination to make room for new players? 

I don't see the long term planning, the plan seems to have been to commit to this group of players for the next 3 or 4 years rather than spend money on new ones.

Unfortunately if you sign up Championship standard players on long contracts then guess where you will probably be for the long term? 

Eh? Players don't stop developing at 21 years of age.

I don't know why some people bother.

10 games gone and all of last season is forgotten.

Just support someone else if our ambition doesn't meet yours.

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Eh? Players don't stop developing at 21 years of age.

Oh right, I will await McLean (27), Stiepermann (28), and Vrancic (30) developing into the top class centre midfielders we desperately need then over the next 3 or 4 years.

And Leitner (26) with his career 5 league goals transforming into the goalscoring attacking midfielder that we so desperately need.

Or I can just be realistic and say that we've committed long term to players that just aren't Premier League standard. 

Vrancic the latest one to be hyped up as the answer to our prayers, geezer struggled for being too one paced in the league below. I do hope he could pop up with a few goals though, at least there is that. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh right, I will await McLean (27), Stiepermann (28), and Vrancic (30) developing into the top class centre midfielders we desperately need then. 

And Leitner (26) with his career 5 league goals transforming into the goalscoring attacking midfielder that we so desperately need.

Or I can just be realistic and say that we've committed long term to players that just aren't Premier League standard. 

Vrancic the latest one to be hyped up as the answer to our prayers, geezer struggled for being too one paced in the league below. I do hope he could pop up with a few goals though, at least there is that. 

Did you think that we were only going to have top class premier league players on our books within our first season? If we stay up, then slowly those players who don't step up will become bench players. Their contracts wont be significant in premier league terms, so it won't cause a problem.

If we get relegated, those midfielders you mention all excelled at Championship level and can obviously do so again.

I was referring to, quite obviously, our younger players who you've casually missed out. 

I'm sorry but I don't understand therefore what your point is?