Sign in to follow this  
lincsy88

Steipermann

Unfortunately isn't up to the premier league. Last season he was great and really crucial to the way we played but so far this season he just hasn't been upto it at all. Holds onto the ball for too long, can't finish and just isn't the number 10 I hoped he would be. Its a shame because I would love him to succeed but I just don't see him coming good, not everyone steps up to the next standard it happens. Hernandez, Cantwell and Buendia as the three behind Pukki at Brighton for me. 

Unfortunately the first 2 sentences could be describing a few players so far this season.

Buendia hasn’t stepped up either. The effort is there but when it goes wrong, and in the PL it has done a lot, he quickly becomes the petulant childish sulky Emi.

• Like 4

McLean, Stiepermann, Leitner and probably Cantwell for now are all Championship standard midfielders, and that's a large part of our problem. 

I still think the answer is finding a way to play Buendia behind Pukki, that together with Hernandez out wide gives us a real chance on the break. The question is who to then play on the right, and Farke doesn't seem to think Roberts is up to it. 

It seems to suggest that it is an area we should have strengthened in the summer. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

I'd certainly play Stiepermann over Leitner at the moment as his physicality is generally lacking throughout the rest of midfield. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Unfortunately isn't up to the premier league. Last season he was great and really crucial to the way we played but so far this season he just hasn't been upto it at all. Holds onto the ball for too long, can't finish and just isn't the number 10 I hoped he would be. Its a shame because I would love him to succeed but I just don't see him coming good, not everyone steps up to the next standard it happens. Hernandez, Cantwell and Buendia as the three behind Pukki at Brighton for me. 

Based on what I've seen thus far you can apply more or less the exact same comments to Buendia, Cantwell, McLean and Leitner.

And there in is our main problem - we are not creating enough chances.

All have performed well below the levels that we were anticipating.

We need Super Mario back to restore our goal threat.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

McLean, Stiepermann, Leitner and probably Cantwell for now are all Championship standard midfielders, and that's a large part of our problem. 

I still think the answer is finding a way to play Buendia behind Pukki, that together with Hernandez out wide gives us a real chance on the break. The question is who to then play on the right, and Farke doesn't seem to think Roberts is up to it. 

It seems to suggest that it is an area we should have strengthened in the summer. 

Agree with this wholeheartedly which is a shame because I thought Leitners game would suit the premier league really well but it just hasn't worked for him. Hernandez, Buendia and Roberts could be an option or and hear me out here could Aarons play further forward with Byram at right back? Would make us a bit more solid

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I'd certainly play Stiepermann over Leitner at the moment as his physicality is generally lacking throughout the rest of midfield. 

Agree with his physicality being good but as a number 10 he needs to create and finish which he hasn't been doing (I know he's not the only one), could he play a deeper role?

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

Based on what I've seen thus far you can apply more or less the exact same comments to Buendia, Cantwell, McLean and Leitner.

All have performed well below the expectations that we were anticipating.

We need Super Mario back to restore our goal threat.

Very true and I didn't want this to be a Steipermann hate thread he's just stood out for me. Looking forward to seeing Mario back but I do wonder will he suffer the same comments as all the above? I really hope not. 

2 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

and hear me out here could Aarons play further forward with Byram at right back? Would make us a bit more solid

I was going to suggest that actually but thought it would get shot down haha. 

Its worth a try if it allows Buendia to play further forward. 

• Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I was going to suggest that actually but thought it would get shot down haha. 

Its worth a try if it allows Buendia to play further forward. 

A lot of things get shot down on this forum mate, some people don't like to have a discussion but just jump on people when they have a different opinion 😂

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Christ almighty Stiepermann is crap at this level.

I would play Emi further forward or actually involve Drmic. 

Pukki behind Drmic is my other idea if Farke thinks he needs Buendia wide right. 

People shot me down when I suggested that last time, but Pukki will probably get more chances in the deeper role at the moment and can score from the edge of the 18 yard box.

Drmic feeding off of the rebounds as a fox in the box. Its one of a few ideas potentially worth exploring.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Unfortunately we somehow managed to kid ourselves that this team could compete at this level. This team, assembled from freebies, lower league young guns and German lower tier heroes was enough to win the league last season, when we had a real winning mentality, lots of confidence and a huge amount of luck with injuries. This season the gap has been too much for quite a few of them, and a poor run of results has seen confidence drained and unfortunately it seems as if the fight is draining too.

I really hope we’re not on the end of a real drubbing, Man U could have had a hatful today if it wasn’t for Krul.

7 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Unfortunately we somehow managed to kid ourselves that this team could compete at this level. This team, assembled from freebies, lower league young guns and German lower tier heroes was enough to win the league last season, when we had a real winning mentality, lots of confidence and a huge amount of luck with injuries. This season the gap has been too much for quite a few of them, and a poor run of results has seen confidence drained and unfortunately it seems as if the fight is draining too.

I really hope we’re not on the end of a real drubbing, Man U could have had a hatful today if it wasn’t for Krul.

I do think there was an element of arrogance amongst some on here over the summer. Quite a few seemed to think we didn't need to improve the squad as all our players would effortlessly make the step up to this level 

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

I do think there was an element of arrogance amongst some on here over the summer. Quite a few seemed to think we didn't need to improve the squad as all our players would effortlessly make the step up to this level 

Maybe for some but I think most were fairly happy with just giving these players who gave us such a surprise season (with many of them proving those same fans completely wrong about them at championship level) an opportunity to prove themselves.

I also think there's a difference between proving yourself against what could be a rejuvenated Manchester United vs proving yourself against say, a Newcastle. 

I believe with at least 2 fit CB's we're capable of competing against the teams in and around us. The top 6 are kind of like free hits and we've had one Man City bonus which kind of makes up for the lack of away points against Burnley and Palace.

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Last seasons team could compete at this level, unfortunately due to injury's that's not been possible

I agree with the above. I also agree that even with being able to compete I was hoping for 17th and saw it as being optimistic.

With players coming back it can lift spirits, so hopefully this can be the case.

I do believe a shift in the team is needed. Amadou is a CDM and I think we need to see him now in that position. If our midfield can shield our defence we may have some joy.

We need our midfield at its strongest and our attack at its strongest. At the moment we are switching our midfield around trying to find the right mix. I say solid defensive midfielders in place to cover our expansive players

Krul

Aarons, Byram, Godfrey, Lewis

Amadou   Tettey

Buendia     Marco     Onel

Pukki

I could see three at the back with Famewo allowing Aaron and Lewis to be true wing backs with Marco moving out of the team with Buendia and hernandez coming inside a bit. But the above seems very viable with Byram at centre half.

This team allows us to still play our way, buendia and hernandez may be asked to make themselves available a little deeper. Amadou and tettey have to show they can get us going.

I think now Farke has to look at a strong midfield to protect our weakened defence. Let's see Amadou in his best position and prove his worth. He has the pedigree so let's not damage his skill set and confidence. Get him where he can make a difference.

I thought we looked much better in the 2nd half with Stiepermann offering much more physicality.  However, we have to stop giving the ball away in our own half by trying to play our way out.  Two of the goals yesterday came from that, as did at least 3 against Villa.  Keeping possession is fine when you're in your opponent's half, but little triangles when you're 30 yards from your own goal is inviting trouble at Premier League level.  Having said that, the long ball isn't the answer unless you have someone who is physically able to chase that long ball down.  Onel and Marco should start next week for Leitner and Cantwell.

I have my hopes pinned on Vrancic and Amadou as the two holding midfielders, to change the teams dynamic and have us playing more like we were at our best last season. But the timeframe as to when this could happen seems frustratingly far away. 

5 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I thought we looked much better in the 2nd half with Stiepermann offering much more physicality.  However, we have to stop giving the ball away in our own half by trying to play our way out.  Two of the goals yesterday came from that, as did at least 3 against Villa.  Keeping possession is fine when you're in your opponent's half, but little triangles when you're 30 yards from your own goal is inviting trouble at Premier League level.  Having said that, the long ball isn't the answer unless you have someone who is physically able to chase that long ball down.  Onel and Marco should start next week for Leitner and Cantwell.

But that goes against the whole strategy our game is based on. We have to get back to playing the ball around at the back, but do it better than we have been able to do this season so far.  We suck the opposition in and then bypass them. It worked well against Man City and it will work well again - we just need to get back in the groove.

Stiepermann is a great example of how the level of the Premier League and Championship differ. Last season he did one thing brilliantly- find space between the opposition defence and midfield, pick up the ball in those pockets of space and get at defences. Championship teams struggled to deal with that, Premier League defences and midfields are much better at closing off those spaces and thus Marco can't do what he does best. He either needs to add something more to his game or he needs to start realising he won't get the same time and space at this level and adjust.

42 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We have to get back to playing the ball around at the back, but do it better than we have been able to do this season so far.

That's my point - it's more difficult for us to 'do it better' in the Prem because of the opposition and our players need to make better decisions about when to do it - giving the ball away is resulting in more goals against us.  It worked once v Man City and we played very well against Newcastle, but mistakes have directly resulted in goals against Man U, Villa, Burnley, West Ham and Palace.

19 minutes ago, Woodman said:

That's my point - it's more difficult for us to 'do it better' in the Prem because of the opposition and our players need to make better decisions about when to do it - giving the ball away is resulting in more goals against us.  It worked once v Man City and we played very well against Newcastle, but mistakes have directly resulted in goals against Man U, Villa, Burnley, West Ham and Palace.

Also it begs the question do we have the players to 'do it better?' I'm not sure.

15 hours ago, lincsy88 said:

A lot of things get shot down on this forum mate, some people don't like to have a discussion but just jump on people when they have a different opinion 😂

No they don’t!

Of course it is harder in this division, but we proved we could do it against Man City - and for me the players against MC were playing the game we should be playing every week, but we haven't reached those levels since. The question is why haven't we - and that comes down to injuries and individual players sorting themselves out and making sure they they are playing appropiately.  

We were quite rightly lauded over our approach to the game and early season form so just maybe teams have sussed that if you shut down our midfield then you beat us.

We brought in a defensive midfield player and haven't had the chance to play him there yet.