hogesar

VAR - F*ck off

So, didnt have an impact on the result today, but what a farce VAR really is.

Stood their waiting for 5 minutes for VAR to decide if they should award a pen for James bouncing off Godfreys arm. Was it clear and obvious error by the ref? Didnt look like a pen whatsoever to me nor to the ref or linesman. But apparently clear and obvious no longer applies - all of a sudden?

And then the Cantwell handball?? Well, it was handball but can someone tell me why, then, there was no obvious check on Mings handball twice on the line in the Villa match?

Or, perhaps even more obvious - against Crystal Palace - where Van Aanholt blocked a cross by raising his arm. No check again?!

Absolute bloody train wreck with no consistency and even more bias than before with even less experience and ability than the poor excuse of a ref on the pitch!

• Like 4

What was so f***ing frustrating was that at the ground, we had no idea what was going on. There was a huge pause, eventually the announcer told us what the check was for and then another huge pause waiting for a decision. Once the decision was made, absolutely no explanation or replay to show us how they’d come to this conclusion.

Am eager to get home and see the highlights as heard on the radio that the first pen shouldn’t have been given. If it’s not a clear and obvious error why didn’t they stick with the on field decision of no pen?

And what the f*** is the point of the monitor at the side of the pitch? All we’re getting is the referees initial decision and then someone else’s opinion based on replays but on a subjective topic.

Farcical

• Like 2

Neither were pens.

The United player made contact with Godfrey for the first. Honestly, who sat that and watched that over and over and thought "yeah that's a penalty and a yellow card" 

I suppose VAR is only useful if the person reviewing it possesses some common sense. 

Totally agreed, C. The fact Dan James actually fell into Godfrey and then the penalty was given, was a joke. I thought the referee was complete and utter w a n k today. Even Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said it was never a penalty, he knew because they took so long looking at it.

And the Van Aanholt and Mings incidents really get on my **** in light of today - these become ‘stone wallers’ if you happen to have a Manc or Pool postcode...

• Like 1

On both occasions the Man Utd players surrounded the referee pressurising both the ref and the var board. If you have to check an alleged 15 times how can it be a clear and obvious error ?

If after 'apparantly' reviewing that 1st pen they still come to the conclusion that it still is , you can only assume corruption?

We have no idea who is in these var booths 100 miles away or if they are under outside influences or what is going on?

I like VAR as a concept, all it does is show a replay but for me decisions should all be made within the plain sight of the confines of the stadium.

That means the referee going over to look at the screen to look at his own decision. Surely if nothing else ,curiosity let alone professional pride should make the ref WANT to go and have a look at what people are telling him he may have got wrong??

• Like 2

It was farcical today - no doubt. Seems like it was terrible across the board in the other games as well. 

Ironically, the two penalties probably did us more good than Man Utd as it at least gave the crowd and players a boost for 5 mins or so. 

Joke penalty's and since midweek many critics that VAR change not many referee decisions so far of this season we find this weekend as farce with too many decisions make it by VAR.

And this 2 penalty's against us is only 2 penalty's so far with all 200 games played since start in August decided after VAR lol 

VAR in UK is big joke and will kill this wonderful game imo

Edited by Boris

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Totally agreed, C. The fact Dan James actually fell into Godfrey and then the penalty was given, was a joke. I thought the referee was complete and utter w a n k today. Even Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said it was never a penalty, he knew because they took so long looking at it.

And the Van Aanholt and Mings incidents really get on my **** in light of today - these become ‘stone wallers’ if you happen to have a Manc or Pool postcode...

It's an absolute joke mate. What if those pens had been scored and were the difference today? We could well have played awesome today and lost because of the pure incompetence. 

It's not even mistakes anymore because they have the fcking technology and, today, 5 or 6 minutes of continually watching the same 5 seconds of footage.

They're either completely incompetent VAR refs who need instantaneously sacking or, shock horror, it's big club bias and they should be sacked for that anyway.

Maybe the FA will pay for my season ticket if they decide to completely ruin my experience of football for the rest of the season?

• Thanks 1

Football being decided and eventually ruined by someone in a dark room somewhere.

Clearly shown on TV that James did the leaning and they just fell into each other and that was it. Ref right behind them and clearly waves his arms for no penalty. So he was sure. VAR wasn't as they reviewed it goodness knows how many times.

Obviously under the strict ruling, Todd handballed. But we weren't given one against Palace.

So VAR is not conclusive apart from maybe offside. So if it isn't then why does it exist?

It feels we’ve gone from “don’t overturn any decisions, we don’t want to undermine the referee, he’s doing a very difficult job and isn’t perfect” to...

”oops, we’ve got a few wrong, the press are going on about it, overturn as many as you like to make it look like VAR has a purpose”

• Like 3

As a great supporter of the use of technology to assist accurate decision making in sport, in football, it has to be said, it has been a disaster and should be suspended until more careful thought is applied.

From paper thin decisions with off-sides through to today's nonsense it is causing more problems than it is solving.

As I've said many times before VAR solves nothing because at the end of the day a human being makes the final decision.

So we are no better off.

Some right decisions are wrong and some wrong decisions are right.

Might as well chuck it all in the bin and go back to how things were and save all the p*ssing about

• Like 4

Whoever the var assistant was today should never be allowed the job again. Absolutely baffling how they have watched that 1st penalty and decided its a clear and obvious error by the referee, if anything he should have been booked for trying to con the referee as he’s clearly played for it

3 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

As I've said many times before VAR solves nothing because at the end of the day a human being makes the final decision.

So we are no better off.

Might as well chuck it all in the bin and go back to how things were and save all the p*ssing about

I’d keep it for the offside decisions as they are always correct, you’re either off or on, there’s no middle ground. but for every other situation it’s been farcical 

Edited by JF

What is particularly annoying (although again it ultimately didn’t cost us) is that all season they’ve not been overturning anything. Clear penalties not being given by VAR. So this has been highlighted in the media and suddenly it’s clear that a dictat has gone out and lo and behold 4 pens in the premier this weekend where the ref overturned by VAR, our second maybe arguable, the other a joke, the Brighton pen a joke and Palace also got one today I’ve not seen yet. Two of which arguably helped out relegation “rivals” although we are not really rivalling they at present. 

They just seem completely incapable of getting these things right. It’s not that hard surely?

6 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

So we are no better off.

I also think many incidents, when viewed in slo mo look very different. A small degree of contact which in real time has no or little impact can look like a clear foul on a replay. 

neither were pens, James went down far too easily and the shot hit Cantwell on the back of the head. 

If both had been up the other end would they have been reviewed? Would they hell!

Stick a ref in a room with tv screens and he is still a ref likely to make the wrong decision based on his own perception of reality. Technology is only as good as the people who operate it and with VAR it is simply a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth.

Edited by lake district canary

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well we can agree on this Hogesar.

Nice to have something, isnt it!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JF said:

I’d keep it for the offside decisions as they are always correct, you’re either off or on, there’s no middle ground. but for every other situation it’s been farcical 

I'm not so sure that one or two of these recent hairline decisions (that one against Spurs I recall mostly) fall into the right/wrong category. There has to be an allowance for technological inaccuracies particularly as the decisions are ultimately in the hands of humans ie. when precisely was that ball first kicked, what split second for that decides a hairline decision?There has to be a margin of error as in cricket, imo.

• Like 1

It's not as if these problems weren't warned by some of us - to the howls of outrage from the clueless numpties who wallowing in a vat of their own stupidity deluded themselves that such decisions could be made absolute..

They can't ,and as seen by both were not given by the referee but were awarded after a number minutes of confusion and the crowd not knowing what was happening. I understand fully the football authorities position on this. It will allow breaks so as to insert adverts. But for those supposedly to understand what they are watching, how the sadding **** could they ever think this pile of absolute horse sheite could play any part in a football game ?

Unless they believe that football should be reduced to an over choreographed costume 'drama' such as NFL where most of the excitement is had by watching clips of paint drying on the giant monitors.

The second decision merely demonstrated the cant that is at the heart of this absurdity - as we are now told, and see, that the ref hs to stop play if there is a thought of a head injury. In fact it appears some youth football is advising against heading the ball. Yet when an involuntary reaction to protecting a players head is done it is a penalty. Not through any intent of foul play or gaining an advantage but through the direction of the ball.

Are penalties to be decided as with an LBW decision in cricket ? Will attacking players have to shout 'howzat' or similar ? Will they be allowed so many 'appeals'. Will that be the same for defending sides ? And will those who spouted nonsensical bullocks in favour of this danger to the game now ask themselves what on earth posessed them to imagine this was ever a 'good idea' ?

• Like 1

You know why we’re all so ****ed off with VAR?

It was lauded as the answer to getting those crucial human errors correct in our beautiful game, to give the referee a helping hand, and even out any bias between the big club and the small. It looked pretty foolproof in the trials. 

We saw the trials where the ref watched at the side of the pitch, and made his decision. Fair enough, it was open, it was transparent. But how very very conveniently, the Premier League changed the goalposts from the initial roll out, and the ref doesn’t get to make the final decision now, it’s just sent down through the refs earpiece by mysterious people who could be anywhere. For all we know the VAR officials today were Sir Alex Ferguson, Mick Hucknell, and Rory McIlroy.

Nothing’s changed, the Premier League is still corrupt as f***, what a surprise.

• Haha 1

Seems to me that taking so long to review the decisions can only mean that it’s too difficult to change a decision, so you have to back the original one made by the ref on the field. Neither were ‘clear and obvious errors’.

23 minutes ago, JF said:

even that is farcical as the offside rule was never intended as being judged by an attacking player having a couple of toes in front of the defender

therefore it is not the VAR itself, but the cretinous belief that it has any part to play in the game

if you are stooped by a cop for 'danerous driving' it is up to his or her judgement whether you were or not that judgement will take into account many variables, condition of road, time of day, place etc - trying to make that an absolute decision in every instance would be absurd, yet that is what the VAR numpties have been clamouring for

maybe when next stopped the driver should be allow to demand that the footage be shown to someone else in an office so they can decide instead

utterly ludicrous