Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

We do this every time

Every time we get promotion we do not spend ,money spent  at villa and sheff utd has had success  ,you cannot enter this leauge without spending. We have to endure this every time, agree with other posts on here we need new owners and move with the times .

We know FFS! We didn't spend any money. Thread after thread whining about the same thing ain't going to change history

Just find it stupid that the club won't invest ,you would have thought they would have learnt from previous season in the premier .This is a forum for views 

We are not relegated yet but yes many of stars haven't really stepped up consistently. Not helped bt a dreadful run of injuries. 

Naismith was hardly an investment-how much money did we **** against the wall with him?

Investing is exactly what the club is doing-re.Colney and improving the contracts of our current players so, when they do move on, we get big money for them.  That, is investing.

So for you to say "...the club won't invest' is not true.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Old Shuck said:

Naismith was hardly an investment-how much money did we **** against the wall with him?

Investing is exactly what the club is doing-re.Colney and improving the contracts of our current players so, when they do move on, we get big money for them.  That, is investing.

So for you to say "...the club won't invest' is not true.

Completely agree with us doing all that but there was clearly more money available to improve the starting 11 as we had a reported £15 million bid on deadline day for an attacking midfielder. That £15 million would have been far better used trying to improve the defensive positions knowing we were starting the season with Hanley that isn’t good enough, Zimmerman injured, Klose injury prone and 3 inexperienced players under the age of 21 in the back 4. Our failure was not to improve our starting 11

So the title suggest that we have been promoted several times. I think that says it.

We cannot ever throw what little money we have, in EPL terms, around willy nilly anymore. We just cannot get into financial problems.

Did Bolton ever imagine L2 was looming? I'm sure their supporters would take a few years of Championship mid table.

Of course there will always be differences between supporters on who to buy and how many and should we push on. But at the end of the day, we need to be stable financially.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

So the title suggest that we have been promoted several times. I think that says it.

We cannot ever throw what little money we have, in EPL terms, around willy nilly anymore. We just cannot get into financial problems.

Did Bolton ever imagine L2 was looming? I'm sure their supporters would take a few years of Championship mid table.

Of course there will always be differences between supporters on who to buy and how many and should we push on. But at the end of the day, we need to be stable financially.

No one is suggesting we should have thrown the financial kitchen sink at it. There is a middle ground where we could have stretched further to improve the team and give Farke the backing he needs and deserves without putting the clubs future at risk 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JF said:

No one is suggesting we should have thrown the financial kitchen sink at it. There is a middle ground where we could have stretched further to improve the team and give Farke the backing he needs and deserves without putting the clubs future at risk 

Correct me if I’m wrong but the club tried to strengthen. If the deadline day £15m is actually true then the club tried and it didn’t come off?!

Deals don’t happen overnight, if that fell through late then the possibility of bringing in anyone else so late was impossible.

We as fans can’t have it all ways, I get bored of reading how we should throw money at it when all the way through the club has reinforced the message that the club needs to be managed properly and is still paying for bad management.

If and it is an if we had the big bod declined on deadline day then that would suggest that there is bit to spend in January and the club can’t be blamed for not investing when they tried.

Just now, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but the club tried to strengthen. If the deadline day £15m is actually true then the club tried and it didn’t come off?!

Deals don’t happen overnight, if that fell through late then the possibility of bringing in anyone else so late was impossible.

We as fans can’t have it all ways, I get bored of reading how we should throw money at it when all the way through the club has reinforced the message that the club needs to be managed properly and is still paying for bad management.

If and it is an if we had the big bod declined on deadline day then that would suggest that there is bit to spend in January and the club can’t be blamed for not investing when they tried.

I literally mentioned that in my previous post...

The trouble is JF, the current market means that to improve on the players we have we would have to spend an absolute fortune, which we don't have. You've seen some of the rubbish going for tens of millions. We can't afford to risk the same as last time we were up.

2 minutes ago, JF said:

I literally mentioned that in my previous post...

You did but also suggested that there was a middle ground that we should have gone for, clearly we did but it didn’t come off?

Or is that not what you’re saying?

2 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

You did but also suggested that there was a middle ground that we should have gone for, clearly we did but it didn’t come off?

Or is that not what you’re saying?

No, read my post further up the page

I get the theory but wonder about the practice.

Theory = spend little on players (the current squad deserves the opportunity / don't unsettle their morale / investment doesn't guarantee survival anyway) and invest instead on the club at large (debts / facilities) = even if we're relegated we'll bounce back quickly and become established eventually.

Practice = spend little on players = not enough quality (especially after injuries) = relegation = promotion as difficult to secure from the Championship as ever = disappointing that we didn't seize the golden opportunity that promotion affords and speculate to accumulate.

Maybe we'll make a few key signings in January with the funds we have available (e.g the millions ready to be sent to France for an AM on deadline day). The problem is ... so will all our rivals too!

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

The trouble is JF, the current market means that to improve on the players we have we would have to spend an absolute fortune, which we don't have. You've seen some of the rubbish going for tens of millions. We can't afford to risk the same as last time we were up.

I agree to an extent. But our success has been built on finding absolute gems from abroad for relatively peanuts. I think everyone was excited to see what players Webber could have got in with a bigger budget, it just didn’t happen. Those gems must still be out there and I struggle to believe that more defensive options couldn’t have been bought in without having to throw the financial kitchen sink at it

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

Despite what I've typed THIS is very much true ... and probably more valid.

Well we can all spend money. Three clubs are still going to go down. Quite easily Sheffield United or Villa could be one of those.

So your point is..uhh...pointless.

Is it fair to expect (rather than hope for!) two wins from our next two games?

Man Utd would, usually, be regarded as a free hit-but because they've had such a mediocre start, a lot of us were convinced we were going to win it and are now disappointed we haven't. The curious thing is, in recent years, we've beaten much much better Man Utd sides than their current one.

But six points from Brighton and Watford a reasonable expectation-or 4 minimum? One or less would be...well, lets not go there.

How incredibly insightful, I am at a loss as to how nobody has mentioned this before?

It’s not all about spending. Sheff Utd played a lot of their game yesterday with all 11 on the pitch having played last season. They’ve added well but they also have a core that knows each other really well

I don't understand what a middle ground strategy might be.

Does that mean buying for buying sake? Or does it mean buying someone you don't think isn't too much better than you already have?

Sheffield United’s 7 defensive players have started every game this season.

5 have played every minute of every game. 

Lundstram has been subbed off twice, Basham four times. Both players have missed a little over 30 minutes over the first ten games.

Playing the same defensive unit for 10 consecutive games has given them a massive advantage compared to Norwich’s miserable run of defensive injuries..

• Like 1