TeemuVanBasten

People are going to criticise Cantwell

Well if Farke was harsh on Todd in his after match interview then it would have been with a purpose - to let Todd know in no uncertain terms how he thinks.  He's done it before with other players, singled them out and criticised them, so why should TC be any different.....

The fact is there are two sides to the situation - a young talented player going for it and really up for the challenge - and a young talented player making mistakes and showing a lack of composure at times.  He has to learn and the shot he should have done better with on Sunday was a key point in the process.  He either has to learn to stay focussed and composed in those situations or he will not make it as a top player.  I think Farke has laid it out loud and clear - TC needs to learn and learn fast. 

Todd would obviously realise that he should have done better with the shot but everyone misses the target sometimes. Look at all the penalties we missed last season.

I'm surprised at Farke's comments, what is important is to get in the right place to do the right thing. 

I was also surprised at Tettey's comments. 

It is daft to write off two of our most skilful players(Cantwell and Leitner) after 45 minutes play. 

We know how well they can play and we know how well we can do as a team, let's get behind them to get the best out of the team and stop blaming individuals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Well if Farke was harsh on Todd in his after match interview then it would have been with a purpose - to let Todd know in no uncertain terms how he thinks.  He's done it before with other players, singled them out and criticised them, so why should TC be any different.....

The fact is there are two sides to the situation - a young talented player going for it and really up for the challenge - and a young talented player making mistakes and showing a lack of composure at times.  He has to learn and the shot he should have done better with on Sunday was a key point in the process.  He either has to learn to stay focussed and composed in those situations or he will not make it as a top player.  I think Farke has laid it out loud and clear - TC needs to learn and learn fast. 

I agree with this. They are playing and being extremely well paid at the top level - it's not as if any are normally in the ''under 23s' being thrown in the deep end - as apprentices! Simply put deliver consistently (odd bad game / mistake accepted) or make way for somebody who will. 

Ask yourself whether other teams young players would have scored that chance - Villa's and United's certainly did. 

I'm tired of this "he's only young and learning" argument. Leicester had 5 players aged 22 and under in their 9-0 demolition of Southampton. Rashford is 21, McTominay is 22, Martial 23, Wan-Bissaka 21, Daniel James 21. Chelsea and Liverpool and most other Premier League teams have players who are 18 -21 playing in their first teams. 

Yet ours are supposed to be forgiven for making very, very basic errors. If they are picked to play in the first team the coach must think they are good enough and they should be judged as a first team player. Cantwell, Aarons, Godfrey and Buendia continue to make the same errors match after match, but we are supposed to allow for that because they are young. 

The fact is that, like most of the rest of the team, they are just not playing very well. I hope that changes, as we all do, but if they keep making the same errors it's not likely.

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

Yet ours are supposed to be forgiven for making very, very basic errors. If they are picked to play in the first team the coach must think they are good enough and they should be judged as a first team player. Cantwell, Aarons, Godfrey and Buendia continue to make the same errors match after match, but we are supposed to allow for that because they are young. 

The phrase 'if you're good enough, you're old enough' works in both ways- if you're good enough to be in the first team, you're old enough to be accountable for errors and poor performances.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Ask yourself whether other teams young players would have scored that chance - Villa's and United's certainly did. 

I'm tired of this "he's only young and learning" argument. Leicester had 5 players aged 22 and under in their 9-0 demolition of Southampton. Rashford is 21, McTominay is 22, Martial 23, Wan-Bissaka 21, Daniel James 21. Chelsea and Liverpool and most other Premier League teams have players who are 18 -21 playing in their first teams. 

The fact is that, like most of the rest of the team, they are just not playing very well. I hope that changes, as we all do, but if they keep making the same errors it's not likely.

I think there's a bit of a jump from being a young player in United's first team to being a young player in Norwich's first team. Comparing them is a little silly as the teams themselves have completely different levels of aspiration.

Todd, ditch them gloves and that naff hair......A short back an' sides (a streamlined tuppeny all off an' a penny fringe) and feel that wind blow through your hair, palms and fingers.....as you power purposefully around the pitch.....

4 hours ago, sgncfc said:

So the young players from these other clubs never make mistakes?

Strange then that we've had 3 players in the England U21. 

If you cannot forgive that is your problem but they are constantly making errors and being selected, that is down to the manager. 

On 27/10/2019 at 17:19, TeemuVanBasten said:

For that first half, because of his rubbish clearance, and his handball, and his missed sitter.

But at least he's putting himself about and putting himself in situations.... McLean and Leitner been completely f'ing anonymous.

Leitner in particular, I can't remember a player being so over rated by fans. He can only do one thing well and he's hit and miss with that. Limited range of abilities forgiveable, complete lack of effort definitely not... he's making me miss Stiepermann!

Started this thread to stick up for Cantwell after this absolute stinker of a game, because he at least put effort it.

Leitner that day barely broke a sweat.

Fantastic to see Cantwell turn his form around, but I'm just really glad that Farke has seen the light and dropped Leitner. He doesn't offer enough, and most importantly he doesn't have that hunger and desire to help us in a relegation scrap.

That's why he was out of the team for the last quarter of last season and Kenny McLean was in it, despite the protestations of Norwich fans.

I saw XI men today giving their absolute all for the shirt and to win for the fans.

Farke has got this absolutely spot on, Buendia and Leitner both needed dropping. Buendia I hope will come back stronger and more mature, I just don't think Leitner has the will or the minerals.