TeemuVanBasten

People are going to criticise Cantwell

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There's no way that it should be Emi dropped for Hernandez. 

If anybody should be dropped it should be Cantwell or Leitner. 

So Emi is allowed to give the ball away more than anyone else, sulk and not track back for it, but if someone like Cantwell loses the ball (but actually works hard to win it back) he should be dropped?

EMI is a good player but no way should he be guaranteed a place right now. And no way should he be guaranteed it ahead of Cantwell or Leitner.

The only player that stepped up was Tim Krul. 

Cantwell does seem to be the only player that shows any danger of linking up with Pukki who was once again completely isolated and ineffectvie as a result. 

Let's hope that Farke isn't becoming unsure of himself. 

Just now, hogesar said:

So Emi is allowed to give the ball away more than anyone else, sulk and not track back for it, but if someone like Cantwell loses the ball (but actually works hard to win it back) he should be dropped?

EMI is a good player but no way should he be guaranteed a place right now. And no way should he be guaranteed it ahead of Cantwell or Leitner.

At least we saw effort from Buendia and Cantwell, even if they were both a liability.

I didn't see any from Leitner and yes, I would drop him.  

Buendia shouldn't be so far down the pitch and I think we need to consider the possibility of him at #10, where taking a risk and giving the ball away isn't as damaging.

He is the best chance we have of creating a chance of Pukki, but at the moment Pukki is being left isolated. 

• Like 1

Cantwell has shown a consistent trait since he hit the first team of playing brilliantly for half a dozen games and then running out of steam and having a dip. It’s at that point that Farke should be resting/rotating the midfield to give him a bit of a break. I appreciate injuries have made this difficult but so also has his bizarre snub of Roberts. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Cantwell has shown a consistent trait since he hit the first team of playing brilliantly for half a dozen games and then running out of steam and having a dip. It’s at that point that Farke should be resting/rotating the midfield to give him a bit of a break. I appreciate injuries have made this difficult but so also has his bizarre snub of Roberts. 

What is a little bizarre about the Roberts snub is that Farke has said he wanted to sign Daniel James, and from the glimpses I've seen of Roberts + his time at Celtic, he seems to be much a similar style of player. 

I suspect the problem may be that Roberts doesn't do enough work tracking back / defensively, which is part of the issue Farke had with Edwards from Spurs I believe.

That would be an issue in our system, especially if Farke sees Roberts as occupying the right side to enable Buendia to operate further forward (which is one of only two ideas I can think of to look more dangerous going forward). 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

As already pointed out, Farke got the team selection wrong today against an extremely physical and pacey Man Utd team.

But something like 7 of the next 8 matches are against teams you’d hope we’d be capable of picking up points again, not Man Utd.

As per Newcastle, those are the types of games Leitner can have a massive influence in but not if he’s playing in the no 10 role. 

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its only a bizarre snub if youve seen him training week in week out

• Like 1

Farke is not renown for this reactive substitutions so if you get binned at half time then you know you were turd and Cantwell and Leitner certainly were. Hernandez made an impact but Stiepermann was equally as bad.

Would have had Drmic on personally.

Poor all round today with the exception of Krul, Max and Tettey.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't think "putting himself about" is what playing in the Prem is about. No excuses for any of the midfield apart from Tettey but as much as I want Todd to succeed, and at this level, he is just a bit to frantic at the moment and he keeps putting Jamal in trouble.

This just wasn't true today pops. Jamal was our worst player first half, he was way off it. I even said he was ill before he was subbed. Turned out he was.

Just call me Doctor. About time we had a decent on on here🙃

Its worrying that if Farke is snubbing Roberts and hes not responding positively (& more players will return to fitness thus reducing Roberts opportunity even more) then why keep him.  We've cancelled loans before and surely roberts isnt going to get a better chance to impress

"Farke is not renown for this reactive substitutions so if you get binned at half time then you know you were turd and Cantwell and Leitner certainly were. Hernandez made an impact but Stiepermann was equally as bad."

His post match interview was very harsh on Cantwell, without naming names.

Dealing with the talent that is young Todd is a difficult one to assess.

Do you hammer him for being too big for his boots  and then stifle that talent or do you ride with the consequences?

Ive said it in different posts but we look weak in defence and lightweight in midfield. Id put Byram next to Godfrey allowibg Amadou into his batural defensive midfield role to try n give more protection 

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Farke is not renown for this reactive substitutions so if you get binned at half time then you know you were turd and Cantwell and Leitner certainly were. Hernandez made an impact but Stiepermann was equally as bad."

His post match interview was very harsh on Cantwell, without naming names.

Dealing with the talent that is young Todd is a difficult one to assess.

Do you hammer him for being too big for his boots  and then stifle that talent or do you ride with the consequences?

I wonder whether Cantwell or Leitner will react better for being subbed in that way.

On 27/10/2019 at 18:30, Making Plans said:

Jesus that must be the most ridiculous comment so far this season.

Why? You need to support young players. They're going to make mistakes, you cant sub them the minute they make one. That creates a culture of fear. He knows he's made a mistake, he doesnt need to be punished for it, that doesnt give him the confidence to play with freedom in future games

9 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Why? You need to support young players. They're going to make mistakes, you cant sub them the minute they make one. That creates a culture of fear. He knows he's made a mistake, he doesnt need to be punished for it, that doesnt give him the confidence to play with freedom in future games

Obviously Farke doesn't agree with you and as the poster a few post up says " Farke is not renown for this reactive substitutions so if you get binned at half time then you know you were turd and Cantwell and Leitner certainly were".

No matter who they are or how old/young they are, in our current predicament you cannot afford to keep players on the pitch who were not much better than passengers.

Cantwell is young he'll get over it and learn from it.

Edited by Making Plans

23 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What is a little bizarre about the Roberts snub is that Farke has said he wanted to sign Daniel James, and from the glimpses I've seen of Roberts + his time at Celtic, he seems to be much a similar style of player. 

I suspect the problem may be that Roberts doesn't do enough work tracking back / defensively, which is part of the issue Farke had with Edwards from Spurs I believe.

That would be an issue in our system, especially if Farke sees Roberts as occupying the right side to enable Buendia to operate further forward (which is one of only two ideas I can think of to look more dangerous going forward). 

I had completely forgotten about Roberts - which itself speaks volumes. He is the obvious choice to play on the right if we want to try Emi in the middle

23 hours ago, Making Plans said:

And so did Tettey

Tettey has also put the cat amongst the pigeons with his post-match comments. We've had a lot of praise in the last year. Perhaps we also need some harsh criticism

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I had completely forgotten about Roberts - which itself speaks volumes. He is the obvious choice to play on the right if we want to try Emi in the middle

Its worth a try. If Roberts isn't a great trainer then lets at least see if he's one of those that can still pull it out of the bag on a Saturday, I heard Grant Holt was a terrible trainer yet he came alive on matchday! 

22 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This just wasn't true today pops. Jamal was our worst player first half, he was way off it. I even said he was ill before he was subbed. Turned out he was.

Just call me Doctor. About time we had a decent on on here🙃

Im a Doctor...

8 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Obviously Farke doesn't agree with you and as the poster a few post up says " Farke is not renown for this reactive substitutions so if you get binned at half time then you know you were turd and Cantwell and Leitner certainly were".

No matter who they are or how old/young they are, in our current predicament you cannot afford to keep players on the pitch who were not much better than passengers.

Cantwell is young he'll get over it and learn from it.

If you actually read my previous posts I DID want him subbed at half time, I was simply making the point that if Todd feels he is being harshly treated for his mistakes it may not be good for his morale. Farke seems to be a good man-manager though (the Oliveira/Watkins/Edwards/Roberts thing says more about the players attitudes imo) and you would hope he is well experienced in dealing with young players and supporting them. Doing it in the right way is a skill Im sure Farke has

For posters on here to make Cantwell a scapegoat is crazy. He is a young lad learning his trade and is a very good prospect. You have to take in to account that the whole midfield are struggling against more bigger and powerful opposition and many are supposedly worth 40 million or so. We are lightweight in that area. It is amusing that some posters are saying Vrancic and Amadou will solve our problems in midfield. Anyone seen them play in that position in the Premiership this season ??.  By the way I do not consider "it was handball". Having played the game a lot, many years ago, I can never remember jumping up to block a ball with my arms close to my side. It is a natural thing to spread them out as part of the jumping process.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its worth a try. If Roberts isn't a great trainer then lets at least see if he's one of those that can still pull it out of the bag on a Saturday, I heard Grant Holt was a terrible trainer yet he came alive on matchday! 

It’s a shame Grant can’t still play for us. He’s be ideal at the moment.