TeemuVanBasten

People are going to criticise Cantwell

For that first half, because of his rubbish clearance, and his handball, and his missed sitter.

But at least he's putting himself about and putting himself in situations.... McLean and Leitner been completely f'ing anonymous.

Leitner in particular, I can't remember a player being so over rated by fans. He can only do one thing well and he's hit and miss with that. Limited range of abilities forgiveable, complete lack of effort definitely not... he's making me miss Stiepermann!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure I agree about McLean, he’s made a few solid challenges, but it does look like Leitner further forward isn’t working. The handball decision was harsh in Cantwell, wouldn’t have happened in any previous season.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

For that first half, because of his rubbish clearance, and his handball, and his missed sitter.

But at least he's putting himself about and putting himself in situations.... McLean and Leitner been completely f'ing anonymous.

Leitner in particular, I can't remember a player being so over rated by fans. He can only do one thing well and he's hit and miss with that. Limited range of abilities forgiveable, complete lack of effort definitely not... he's making me miss Stiepermann!

I was thinking the same about Leitner, McLean doesn’t look interested. Too many same style players out there and very small too

Agree with the OP. Buendia, Leitner and McLean all out-fought. No vehicle either for attacks to Pukki. Todd was guilty for the first goal and unlucky for the second.

IMO we need to swap Leitner and McLean's positionally.  Kenny is not a playmaker, and Leitner works better playing deeper. 

• Like 2

Todd’s still a young player playing for the first season at this level, he’s going to make mistakes.

He’s a good player but I think the problem is people have built him up in their head to be better than he currently is.

At the end of the day though he’s had a poor game, cost one goal, could have cost another, failed to hit the target with our best chance. Yes he’s putting himself about but at this level it’s those key moments that really make the difference.

• Like 3

Hate to say it but no matter what options we use in our midfield they are just not up to the standard needed for this league, couple that up with a makeshift defence that concedes goals by the bucket load and there’s no chance of surviving in this league. I had hope that when we started to get players back we would be competitive but that hope is fading. Even if Zimmerman were in there I’m not convinced now that we would be. Momentum and confidence appears to be shot

• Like 1

Todd's had a poor game on the face of it. I'd like to see Onel on at half time to see if we can open Utd up a bit, but you cant really take Todd off after giving away a goal and a penalty, would not be good man management.

Maybe Stipermann on for a bit of physicality for Todd and Onel for McLean

I don't think "putting himself about" is what playing in the Prem is about. No excuses for any of the midfield apart from Tettey but as much as I want Todd to succeed, and at this level, he is just a bit to frantic at the moment and he keeps putting Jamal in trouble.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Todd's had a poor game on the face of it. I'd like to see Onel on at half time to see if we can open Utd up a bit, but you cant really take Todd off after giving away a goal and a penalty, would not be good man management.

Jesus that must be the most ridiculous comment so far this season.

• Like 1

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Todd didn't lose us the game - the team did. Just not good enough as a unit at the mo. :classic_sad:

OTBC

That's only party true.  If Todd had scored his (unmarked) chance from inside the penalty area, then the result could have been very different.  Same with Stiepermann early on against Villa.  

Arguably it's our attack that has been underperforming of late.  Very little positives from any of our creative players of late, which was at first a novelty, and is now a very worrying trend.  Positive to see Onel play well and score though.  That's about all I can take from this.

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Todd didn't lose us the game - the team did. Just not good enough as a unit at the mo. :classic_sad:

OTBC

I think the combination of Todd & Mo in the same team reduced our physicality to below sustainable levels. We looked much better once Onel & Marco came on (though our confidence had been hammered by then).

• Like 2

Its not a matter of singling out anyone in particular and it was an awful performance but you have to say what you see and Todd was about the worst one, IMO, in the 1st half with Mo just behind. And the two changes were necessary and worked to a certain extent.

But I would like to see Todd further up the pitch. In two or three games this season, he has given the ball away in our third of the pitch and that is too dangerous. If he tries the one two's further up the pitch there is certainly less damage done.

And we are neglecting Teemu just a bit too much and wasting his ability. I would definitely like to see Todd up behind Teemu.

Just now, ron obvious said:

I think the combination of Todd & Mo in the same team reduced our physicality to below sustainable levels. We looked much better once Onel & Marco came on (though our confidence had been hammered by then).

Todd & Mo are lightweight compared to the players they are facing. Marco does lose the ball a lot but i think what he gives us outweighs what he takes away - and its not like we have many options anyway...

Onel is quality.

OTBC

Cantwell is not yet good (advanced/experienced) enough to be an automatic starter in a Premier League team.

He can have his moments, but as a sub.

The midfield is full of players we expected to step up but have struggled- Letiner, Buendia and Steipermann being the obvious ones.

• Like 1

Cantwell is a luxury to play game after game in premiere league.

have some fireworks but we are too light in this area with so many cant tackle players (mean final 3rd).

Onel was wow performance and with this altitude against worst opponent than Wan-Bissaka he can be match win player.

Only bright from this game is Onel looking on fire.

Watford absolutely must win to have any hopes !

Todd is learning and that's great, we all love to see one of our own out there and doing well- but Todd is living off of 2-3 games of excellence and since then a run of impact-less performances for an increasingly stricken side. The list of mistakes leading to goals/ good chances fluffed is growing and I can't help but feel we need to resort to older, more cynical professionals to help arrest the slump.

It isn't just Todd, but he has the unfortunate habit of finding himself in key positions during matches and botching his lines. I stand by what I posted on a thread last week, that developmentally Cantwell is at the stage where you bring him on when ahead, as oppositions start to stretch themselves and gaps appear; until he develops more savvy then he just isn't solid enough to contribute consistently to a 90-minute Prem performance.

• Like 2

The thing is, Cantwell isn't doing what he did so well last season - he was careful with the ball and only tried tricks in the right situations. This season it is like he is trying to be too clever and doing it in the wrong situations. Imo he - and one or two others - need to get back to the basics a bit more.

• Like 1

Todd has been significantly less guilty of losing the ball etc than Buendia who half the time feigns an injury at the moment to save having to track back, as much as I like him as a player.

• Like 3

Agreed that Emi had a poorer performance than Cantwell today. He seemed completely rattled and proceeded to play 60 minutes of the game in an unproductive sulk. Definitely not what you need when you are up against it. 

Would swap Emi for Onel next week. Emi will be desperate to make an impact from the bench and can hopefully get his mojo back asap. 

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Todd’s still a young player playing for the first season at this level, he’s going to make mistakes.

He’s a good player but I think the problem is people have built him up in their head to be better than he currently is.

At the end of the day though he’s had a poor game, cost one goal, could have cost another, failed to hit the target with our best chance. Yes he’s putting himself about but at this level it’s those key moments that really make the difference.

It's the 'key' moments where he earns (or doesn't earn) his bread!

I’ve been saying for several weeks now that we can’t start with both Cantwell and Buendea in the starting 11 at this level. Neither are careful enough with possession and we are being punished time and time again by it. 

13 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Agreed that Emi had a poorer performance than Cantwell today. He seemed completely rattled and proceeded to play 60 minutes of the game in an unproductive sulk. Definitely not what you need when you are up against it. 

Would swap Emi for Onel next week. Emi will be desperate to make an impact from the bench and can hopefully get his mojo back asap. 

There's no way that it should be Emi dropped for Hernandez. 

If anybody should be dropped it should be Cantwell or Leitner. 

Buendia was poor, a liability at times even, but Leitner did absolutely nothing. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The thing is, Cantwell isn't doing what he did so well last season - he was careful with the ball and only tried tricks in the right situations. This season it is like he is trying to be too clever and doing it in the wrong situations. Imo he - and one or two others - need to get back to the basics a bit more.

This is spot on LDC.

Our passing this season has been p*ss poor. Lack of concentration, not enough care and far too casual.

Simple passes going astray, too many flicks, too many ambitious passes instead of taking the simple option, passes struck too hard and generally asking far too much of the intended reciprient.

Farke didnt get his midfield right today...excusible in recent weeks but now we've got a few back from injury it wont be going forward.

The one positive today is that Hernandez has nailed down his starting place, the question with Cantwell now is whether he's good enough to move inside into the central no.10 role?....if not he shouldnt be shoehorned in somewhere.

Behind that, not sure how many midfield battles we'll win with McLean in one of the two holding midfield places?..if Trybull is available , this shouldnt be happening in the future

Just now, Making Plans said:

This is spot on LDC.

Our passing this season has been p*ss poor. Lack of concentration, not enough care and far too casual.

Simple passes going astray, too many flicks, too many ambitious passes instead of taking the simple option, passes struck too hard and generally asking far too much of the intended reciprient.

I thought we did this better against Bournemouth, thought we may have turned a corner.

But I don't know if there is much we can do about such a sheer gulf in quality. The Man Utd front three just tore us to shreds and only a world class performance from our keeper prevented it being a hugely embarrassing scoreline.