Making Plans

Today's Match Thread

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

For the size of their club that's distinctly bang average.

10th in any teams first season back in the Premier League is a great achievement, and they weren't full of world beaters... Gary O'Neil and Carlton Cole each got 25+ games that season. 

And they are no bigger than Leeds or Sunderland. 

Interestingly in their first season back in the league they invested most heavily in centre midfielders, which is where we look most out of our depth. 

Yes big athletic midfielders are a must in the premiership. Without winning the battles in midfield our not overly impressive defence is horribly exposed and our genuinely exciting attack is blunted. In fairness Amadou at CDM would be a help but we need one or two other big lads to work a shift there. McClean just not good enough - leitner technically good enough but far too lightweight etc etc 

2 hours ago, JF said:

With hindsight Godfrey should have been moved into the defensive midfield position and two quality centre backs brought in. This defence conceded by the bucket load last season so it’s no surprise what’s happening now. 3 inexperienced under 21 players in the back 4 in the the PL is too much 

This “we should play Godfrey as a CDM” argument stands up to scrutiny as well as “because Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey have done well, we should play all our youngsters “. Farke believes his best position is at centre back, and that’s all I need to know.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This “we should play Godfrey as a CDM” argument stands up to scrutiny as well as “because Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey have done well, we should play all our youngsters “. Farke believes his best position is at centre back, and that’s all I need to know.

It isn’t about what his best position is though is it? It’s about where he can be most useful for the progression of the team. And as I’ve said, with hindsight, which is a luxury that Webber and Farke didn’t have, he would have been far more useful in defensive midfield with more experienced central defenders behind him. As I’ve said already, 3 defenders under the age of 21 in that back four is just too much at this level