Making Plans

Today's Match Thread

I feel sorry for Farke. Good manager but not backed in the window at all and my how it shows. It was pretty obvious what would happen to a defence that leaked So many goals in championship at this level - which is a big step up (and sorry but I don’t think zimmo would make that much difference) especially if protected by such a physically lightweight midfield. We have bags of talent but just lack the size to get stuck in- most games this season has looked like men v boys in midfield where games are won and lost. 
I get that we have no money etc etc but just once it would be nice to get promoted and be given a chance to be competitive. 

• Like 2

I’m thinking we should have gone out and got in two quality centre backs and moved Godfrey into defensive midfield. At this level our defence is just too inexperienced 

I thought we'd scrape staying in the league, 16/17th at best but the right side of the line...but with these injuries plus our inability to even do the basics as a defensive unit, my faith is waning. Even as players come back from injury, new ones will get injured - I'm not sure we can recover from so many many key players being out.

OTBC

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I feel sorry for Farke. Good manager but not backed in the window at all and my how it shows. It was pretty obvious what would happen to a defence that leaked So many goals in championship at this level - which is a big step up (and sorry but I don’t think zimmo would make that much difference) especially if protected by such a physically lightweight midfield. We have bags of talent but just lack the size to get stuck in- most games this season has looked like men v boys in midfield where games are won and lost. 
I get that we have no money etc etc but just once it would be nice to get promoted and be given a chance to be competitive. 

So tell us who we should replace out of Aarons,  Lewis and Godfrey? Either at least one of them isn’t good enough, or else something else is going on.

Like the way we push the backs up makes us defensively weaker which when combined with an extreme injury crisis, means we are shipping a lot of goals. I didn’t hear many complaints last season about the way we played then.

Another soul destroying game. I'm not sure what else we can do. Yes we've had bad luck with injuries but some of the lads haven't progressed as much as I thought they would. Tough, tough season.

• Like 1

Plus points - Krul was outstanding, Hernandez made a real impact and must start

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I thought we'd scrape staying in the league, 16/17th at best but the right side of the line...but with these injuries plus our inability to even do the basics as a defensive unit, my faith is waning. Even as players come back from injury, new ones will get injured - I'm not sure we can recover from so many many key players being out.

OTBC

We've only got 5 players out injured.

Five other teams have got 5 or more players injured (Man Utd have 7).

Five other teams have got 4 players out injured, so 5 is only a little above average.

We can't keep using that excuse, now we are seeing that we just aren't good enough and haven't invested in enough quality in the summer.

Karen Brady was right, and yet we slagged her off.... you need to spend on improving your XI upon promotion. We didn't.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

So tell us who we should replace out of Aarons,  Lewis and Godfrey? Either at least one of them isn’t good enough, or else something else is going on.

Like the way we push the backs up makes us defensively weaker which when combined with an extreme injury crisis, means we are shipping a lot of goals. I didn’t hear many complaints last season about the way we played then.

With hindsight Godfrey should have been moved into the defensive midfield position and two quality centre backs brought in. This defence conceded by the bucket load last season so it’s no surprise what’s happening now. 3 inexperienced under 21 players in the back 4 in the the PL is too much 

Edited by JF

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Five other teams have got 4 players out injured, so 5 is only a little above injured.

We can't keep using that excuse, now we are seeing that we just aren't good enough and haven't invested in enough quality in the summer.

Karen Brady was right, and yet we slagged her off.... you need to spend on improving your XI upon promotion. We didn't.

...I also said we can't defend as a team.

The injuries have hit us hard in one area - central defense.  Any team would struggle if you lose 3 out of 4 CDers at one time.

OTBC

• Like 2

None of the German boys have stepped up. They need too much time on the ball. McLean has improved lately but isn't Prem standard. 

Krul was outstanding.

Aarons had his best game of the season. 

Tettey played well. 

One coming on highlighted for me how much other players have lost confidence and spirit. 

Todd Cantwell needs to cut out the errors but he's a young player who needs backing. 

This team needs to find it's mojo and so do the supporters. 

Five other teams have got 4 players out injured, so 5 is only a little above injured.

But Manure still managed to put out a team like they did today, and leave Mata, Lingard on the bench. So to compare our injury crisis with theirs is incomparable.

• Like 1

Lots of focus on our defensive problems, but I'm more worried by the fact we've only scored two (soft) goals in five winnable games.

Even with our strongest XI in the championship, we struggled to defend.

4 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Lots of focus on our defensive problems, but I'm more worried by the fact we've only scored two (soft) goals in five winnable games.

Even with our strongest XI in the championship, we struggled to defend.

The focus is rightly on the defensive problems, we’ve no chance if we need to score 3 goals a game to get 1 point. We simply must shore up that defence or we will concede the highest amount of goals ever for a PL team. 

I have to say, it’s starting to look like we’ve lost our early shape and strategy, we don’t look as good going forward and Pukki looks lost without Steipermann!

I’d certainly look to bring him back in, drop Leitner who really hasn’t made the step up to this level and Cantwell as good as he’s been needs a rest, Hernandez back in for him.

We need to trouble teams again.

1 minute ago, JF said:

The focus is rightly on the defensive problems, we’ve no chance if we need to score 3 goals a game to get 1 point. We simply must shore up that defence or we will concede the highest amount of goals ever for a PL team. 

Oh I fully agree.

At the start of the season, most would say if we can improve at the back, we will likely score enough to stay up. Now I am not so sure - and that really worries me. 

Just now, JF said:

Sorry for seeming to be downright negative JF, but HOW are we going to do that? We just dont have the personnel defensively, our criminal lack of recruitment in the summer is being laid bare week in, week out. Today was embarassing to watch at times, Amadou limping around the pitch cos we had no one else to come on for him, he shouldnt be back there in the first place. The board just never shows any ambition at all to try and at LEAST give us a punchers chance of staying up. 

I felt a tad more positive after Bournemouth - I know we weren't very expansive but it looked like we had tightened up, learnt a few lessons from the opening games. And now this. The first two goals were so so poor.

I guess we've just got to try and still be in touching distance come January and then hope we can find some new players to keep us going. Either that or sacrifice a cow to Satan before each match and hope his evil pixies give us a few dodgy VAR decisions.

OTBC

We keep on blaming the defense - but it seems to me a LOT of the goals against stem from Cantwell or Buendi giving the ball away or being dispossessed in our defensive 1/3 catching the defensive out of position. We need to cut this out. They aren't as good or are too slow in execution to try these tricks!

Neither two seem to be particularly creative at this level either. Hernandez for Cantwell - and please lets get Mario back fit.

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

We keep on blaming the defense - but it seems to me a LOT of the goals against stem from Cantwell or Buendi giving the ball away or being dispossessed in our defensive 1/3 catching the defensive out of position. We need to cut this out. They aren't as good or are too slow in execution to try these tricks!

Neither two seem to be particularly creative at this level either. Hernandez for Cantwell - and please lets get Mario back fit.

This. Or Mo in the villa game. We give it away or are outmuscled in midfield and they are just able to run at our stretched back four. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Five other teams have got 4 players out injured, so 5 is only a little above average.

Yeah because Brady has made West Ham world beaters in her time there..

59 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think that's a touch ingenuous. It's not so much the number of injuries as where they are.

We've only just got Alex & Tom back, which meant before we had zero DMs with Amadou having to fill in at CD. And Ben was playing with a nasty injury. Don't forget Tim is our best fit goalie for the system.

So for a few matches we've had ZERO fit DMs & ZERO fit CDs.

Hopefully things will improve as injured players return. However, a lot of damage has already been done. This season was always going to be an uphill struggle, now it really is a mountain of Everest proportions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

...I also said we can't defend as a team.

The injuries have hit us hard in one area - central defense.  Any team would struggle if you lose 3 out of 4 CDers at one time.

OTBC

Is having three centre backs injured the reason we can't seem to create more than a chance every other game for Pukki now then?

Or is it because our midfield just isn't good enough? 

We look like we're playing far too deep, meaning Buendia can seldom do what he does best, and we haven't got a #10 of sufficient quality to punish teams on the break.... I'm hoping Vrancic can come in and smash in a few from range, but he's got no pace and he isn't the magic man we are crying out for.

The only ideas I've got lot is Buendia at number 10 and Roberts wide right, or Pukki number 10 where he'll get a few chances from around the edge of the box and Drmic up front.

It feels like we should have dropped £10m on that position. 

Well next match looks like we won’t have Amadou either and no sign of any CBs til December so looks pretty grim. 

I guess Tettey will have to play there. 

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah because Brady has made West Ham world beaters in her time there..

Promotion in 2011/12 followed by 10th, 13th, 12th, 7th, and 11th in the Premier league? With two campaigns in the Europa league 

What drugs are you taking? 10th in first season back in the league is fantastic. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think that's a touch ingenuous. It's not so much the number of injuries as where they are.

We've only just got Alex & Tom back, which meant before we had zero DMs with Amadou having to fill in at CD. And Ben was playing with a nasty injury. Don't forget Tim is our best fit goalie for the system.

So for a few matches we've had ZERO fit DMs & ZERO fit CDs.

Hopefully things will improve as injured players return. However, a lot of damage has already been done. This season was always going to be an uphill struggle, now it really is a mountain of Everest proportions.

👍👍👍

(Got no reactions left.)

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Promotion in 2011/12 followed by 10th, 13th, 12th, 7th, and 11th in the Premier league? With two campaigns in the Europa league 

What drugs are you taking? 10th in first season back in the league is fantastic. 

For the size of their club that's distinctly bang average.