dylanisabaddog

Southampton to take the heaviest defeat record?

It’s finished 0-9. 
2 players on hat-tricks and 3 other scorers, including Madders. 

19 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Jasper Schmiechel (so) matches his dad in being the only keeper on the winning side of a 9-0.

His twin, Kaspar, may disagree.

I imagine some Binners were wishing for a Leicester 10th goal, however, I do tend to agree with those that point out that not including scores before 1992 is somewhat arbitrary just for the sake of saying "Biggest Premier League defeat", when the biggest top-division defeat is 12-0, which occured on two occasions. 

Southampton will likely take some time to recover from this humiliation and there will probably be an (unsettling) managerial change.

All good for City's survival cause.

How quickly things can change in football. Up 'til recently the Saints were used as a model of  survival by consistently producing their own, playing decent football and being equipped to make expansive signings like Angus Gunn. Certainly bigger guns than us for a decent spell and able to lure one of our best with ease in the form of Nathan Redmond.

Now they would appear to be in a big mess and are one of the season's strugglers. Was it on the cards last season? I don't recall.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I guess it's a little bit like Swansea: they kept selling their best players every year and then replaced them with less proven ones. It works well when the new signings turn out to be good players and they're sold on at a profit, but a season or two of not unearthing these gems can be dangerous.

After the opening game of the season I thought they and Newcastle were nailed on to go down. Both have had a few decent results since, but I think Southampton are probably the weakest side in the division. Down to ten men last night but that sort of result just shows no fight or backbone, which you’ll need to stay up.

Unfortunately, embarrassing results like that might hasten a managerial departure - the new manager might be able to get them better organised.

13 hours ago, K Lo said:

I imagine some Binners were wishing for a Leicester 10th goal, however, I do tend to agree with those that point out that not including scores before 1992 is somewhat arbitrary just for the sake of saying "Biggest Premier League defeat", when the biggest top-division defeat is 12-0, which occured on two occasions. 

Ipswich actually managed to lose 10-1 to Fulham in the old First Division