Alex Moss

Man Utd meltdown

Solskaer is right. They have to play to stop us and do that for the full 90 minutes - any team that doesn't do that we will find a way through. Newcastle thought they could just rock up and play their way, they were wrong, Man City thought all they had to do was rock up and play their way and they would beat us and they were wrong, only Chelsea showed the determined strength of will to beat us.

The Villa match was a one off born of just too many injuries and changes - and if anyone thinks we are a soft touch just because of that one match will be in for a shock.   Any arrogance showed by Utd fans that they should walk all over us is good and if that is reflected in their team's attitude evn a little bit, it is to our favour.

I won't be expecting us to win but if the Man Utd team turn up not totally up for it, then it could be a good day.  They are beatable the same as any other team and we should believe it and go for it in best Farkeball style.

The premier league is so strong nowadays that even the big boys are likely to get beaten if they aren’t at or close to their best. Maybe Man City and Liverpool have got enough talent to have a fairly off day and still scrape through, but Man Utd haven’t got the players nowadays to rock up, have a bad day, and still get something. (And even Man City and Liverpool can’t afford to have a really off day, as we showed against Man City).

So in that respect, Solskjaer is right. Possibly the choice of words “to have a chance” is a bit as though they are the underdogs. You’d probably hear Klopp and Pep (or Ferguson) world it more along the lines of “if we aren’t at our best they’ll cause us problems”. 

Managers will often say things like this to take pressure off their players so it's nothing huge. 

However, I'm expecting us give them the run around and take the 3 points tomorrow.

Any United fans who think they just have to turn up to win, will be in for a bit of a shock. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

27 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

However, I'm expecting us give them the run around and take the 3 points tomorrow.

Really ? Did you expect us to beat Burnley and West Ham ?

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

Expecting us to beat Man Utd is a little bit over the top.

Of course, we have the chance of getting something, and I think there's a real possibility. At the start of the season, pretty much any game against the 'big six' would've been viewed as a free hit of sorts as we wouldn't have been expected to get anything, but given Man Utd's form, I don't think it's in that category any more. It's a game that we can certainly get something out of and we would be disappointed with a defeat- not like the opening day when you could just shrug your shoulders and say 'well, what did you expect?'

But actually expecting a win? There are very few games in the Premier League this season that we would 'expect' a win from and Man Utd isn't one of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We will need all the fight and the spirit of the Manchester City game to get a win today.

Even a slightly dislocated Man. U.will never be a pushover.

Fink style prediction:

Home win  24%

Draw 50%

Away win 26%

All worked out with the precision of an Einstein, the realism of a City supporter, and a big pint glass full of optimism.

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Of course, we have the chance of getting something, and I think there's a real possibility. At the start of the season, pretty much any game against the 'big six' would've been viewed as a free hit of sorts as we wouldn't have been expected to get anything, but given Man Utd's form, I don't think it's in that category any more. It's a game that we can certainly get something out of and we would be disappointed with a defeat- not like the opening day when you could just shrug your shoulders and say 'well, what did you expect?'

But actually expecting a win? There are very few games in the Premier League this season that we would 'expect' a win from and Man Utd isn't one of them.

Agree 100% with this.

They have a world class goalie, some top forwards and are playing against a newly promoted defensively patched up team.

I'd be delighted with a point.

• Like 3

I'm not interested what Man Utd are thinking, it's all about us as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping it's not a case of one step forward and two back and we resort to the appalling defending shown against Villa. If we can continue with the new found solidity shown at Bournemouth, then we have every chance of getting something from this game. This is the worst Man Utd team since the Moyes days and Solksjaer is taking them on a rebuilding journey with a lot of work still to do. Could be a cracking game.

Martial back for them tomorrow will be a big boost for them, he’s not played much due to injury, but when he has, he’s got the goals or assists. They are pretty resolute at the back so I’m hoping it’s not going to be one of those frustrating games where Pukki gets snuffed out. Thirdly, they do have pace up front, and although they’ve not exactly scored a hatful this season, we have to bare in mind that James and Rashford etc are facing a patched up centre back pairing and not the fastest CM’s so there is that to consider.

That all said, I expect Pukki to get back on the goal trail and Buendia to break his Premier League duck at last, I reckon it’ll be a 2-2 draw but fingers crossed we’ll nick it, or even better, give them their biggest defeat of the season! We can definitely beat them, no question, but we need to impose our game, which we know we can do - OTBC

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But if we do win, just know I expected it 😜

And if we don't......... Well... You've already had your say. 

Edited by Chelm Canary
  • Haha 1

It’ll be like the Chelsea game I feel. Very close to call. Would love a draw, would be in seventh heaven with a win. I mean.. it’s not unimaginable given Man City but equally the Villa result was sickening. Plus football is evil soooo.. a draw for me. 

6 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

It’ll be like the Chelsea game I feel. Very close to call. Would love a draw, would be in seventh heaven with a win. I mean.. it’s not unimaginable given Man City but equally the Villa result was sickening. Plus football is evil soooo.. a draw for me. 

I’d take a draw any day of the week. The reality is they are a very good team, they have a decent manager and anything out of this game is a bonus. We could win we are capable in the right circumstances do that but reality is we are underdogs.

Oh without doubt we are the underdogs. I saw the Man Utd Lpl game last Sunday and Man U suffocated Liverpool whilst providing enough on the counter in James. Arguable their goal should have been disallowed but though for the most part they were boring they were also dangerous when the hammer was down. I wonder whether our defence will be able to cope against the pace of James though in fairness we’ve done it before playing Swansea, his pace won’t be surprising. It’ll rely a lot on Farke’s forward four and whether Buendia decides its his day. Been a little off since Man City for me. Either way we’re not Southampton so that’s good with me! 😁

16 hours ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

It’ll be like the Chelsea game I feel.

Not for me, Chelea are a good team, united are not - good individuals, but are not yet consistent enough collectively.

Edited by lake district canary

On another note regarding today’s games, I was very surprised to see that our ex youth striker Benny Ashley-Seal, who decided to leave here, is actually on the bench for Wolves today against Newcastle! Where did that come from?!