Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Big Dunc’s send-off

IMO it’s great to have an ‘old fashioned’ minute’s silence on Sunday - it seems far more fitting than an applause before the game; we can of course then give a rousing applause on 78 minutes for the big man

• Like 1

Totally agreed, he gets the best of both worlds in terms of a send off, Branston 👍🏼. Nice to see the Utd players will also be wearing black armbands that day too.

Totally agree, silence is better than applause. Although I expect there will be fans turn up at last minute having got food from the concourse.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PAUL said:

Totally agree, silence is better than applause. Although I expect there will be fans turn up at last minute having got food from the concourse.

..lol....once again minute silence talk has drawn out this chap. As regular as clockwork !

• Like 1

Always think a minutes silence is more respectful, not sure why the applause thing caught on. Is it because some people can't keep their mouths shut and show respect for a single minute at a game?

• Like 1

Problem is, there is always a teenager wanting some attention who will start clapping and then everyone joins in. I would much rather have silence but I don’t think it will happen

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Problem is, there is always a teenager wanting some attention who will start clapping and then everyone joins in. I would much rather have silence but I don’t think it will happen

I was gonna say the same, someone will definitely start clapping and that will cause everyone else to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Totally agree. From memory this alternative of applause was introduced following the death of George Best. The next game was the Manchester Derby and United were worried that City fans would spoil the silence and thus opted for the applause so as to drown out any jeers or boos etc. Please correct me if I've got this wrong but that's my recollection anyway.      

Didn’t Man U try to have a minutes silence before they played Leeds once and the Leeds fans sang and booed through the whole thing ?

13 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

..lol....once again minute silence talk has drawn out this chap. As regular as clockwork !

Well I’m sure out of the 25,000 attending there is bound to be some taking a pie or hot dog to their seat especially kids and teenagers.

3 hours ago, PAUL said:

Well I’m sure out of the 25,000 attending there is bound to be some taking a pie or hot dog to their seat especially kids and teenagers.

...I dare say.....but what I find all the more fascinating is your apparant morbid obession with all things remembrances / minute silences ?!

I'm sure it will be a minutes applause to celebrate and appreciate the career of Duncan Forbes. Mourning is more fit for his family and loved ones, for us it is a case of celebrating his time with us.

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm sure it will be a minutes applause to celebrate and appreciate the career of Duncan Forbes. Mourning is more fit for his family and loved ones, for us it is a case of celebrating his time with us.

The Club have announced it will be a minute's silence Capt.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The Club have announced it will be a minute's silence Capt.

Good news, thanks Benny, a minutes silence  is appropriate for someone  who served  the Club  for over 30 years, while I have nothing against clapping per se, a minutes  silence honours the man and shows respect  to the family.