Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Lazio Nazis vs Celtic

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

And am I to presume from your original post that any apparent increase in racism is coming from the 17.4 million people who voted in the Referendum? As you link these two posts together, it is the only conclusion one can make.

It's not an "apparent" increase. It is a huge and very real rise. 

Yes, I do blame people who voted for Brexit. 

5 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Also, rather scarily, the article that Dylan posted suggests a significant rise in racism in the East of England.

Personally, I have witnessed this too.

The other day, as I strolled along Gentleman's Walk, I saw two Big Issue sellers having a barney. One was a lady wearing a headscarf and clearly from overseas while the other was a rather mouthy lady who sounded like she came from Essex. The latter was annoyed that the former was on her 'pitch'.

She chased her out and shouted "GO BACK TO YOUR OWN F***ING COUNTRY" as a parting shot.

I was about to say something, but was beaten to it by a number of other passers by. I actually felt pretty pleased that it wasn't just me who found the (presumably) Essex ladie's behaviour and language intolerable. It made me feel a bit better about things. Others also went up to the lady from a different country and asked if she was alright. She was in tears, but comforted by a few people who clearly realised what a horrid thing had just occured.

My fear is that the rise of these kinds idiots is precipitated by things like Brexit and the right wing ideology served up by those who triggered it. It will only get worse IF we leave the EU in my opinion.

Bob, a note about the Big Issue sellers.

Many of these sellers have been doing the job for years, they have their own pitches where they have sold the newspaper come rain or sunshine. They have to buy the Big Issue themselves and make a bit of money out of the balance. But for most it isn't about the money, it is about their passion for and support of the kind of content that the Big Issue covers. I often by a copy from them because I like to know what the newspaper is covering and I like to support the guys who sell it, as it is not an easy job to do to be on one's feet all day in all weathers.

In the past couple of years, Romanian gangs have discovered the commercial potential of selling the Big Issue and have muscled in on the operation - not just in Norwich but across the country. Now this person who you rather coyly describe as 'a lady in a headscarf' has been put out onto the street, possibly against her own free will, by an organised, foreign network who have not the slightest interest in the Big Issues of this country, other than where it can benefit them financially.

So in your haste to be the gallant virtue signalling white knight, you have managed to drive away a local indigenous Big Issue seller, possibly someone who has personal experience of homelessness - as many of them have, you have taken away the opportunity of the 'lady in a headscarf' seller to escape from  being forced into selling newspapers on the street - if only for a few hours, and you have aided and abetted a foreign gang to profit from from the weak and helpless.

Edited by Rock The Boat

32 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Many of these sellers have been doing the job for years, they have their own pitches where they have sold the newspaper come rain or sunshine. They have to buy the Big Issue themselves and make a bit of money out of the balance. But for most it isn't about the money, it is about their passion for and support of the kind of content that the Big Issue covers. I often by a copy from them because I like to know what the newspaper is covering and I like to support the guys who sell it, as it is not an easy job to do to be on one's feet all day in all weathers.

In the past couple of years, Romanian gangs have discovered the commercial potential of selling the Big Issue and have muscled in on the operation - not just in Norwich but across the country. Now this person who you rather coyly describe as 'a lady in a headscarf' has been put out onto the street, possibly against her own free will, by an organised, foreign network who have not the slightest interest in the Big Issues of this country, other than where it can benefit them financially.

So in your haste to be the gallant virtue signalling white knight, you have managed to drive away a local indigenous Big Issue seller, possibly someone who has personal experience of homelessness - as many of them have, you have taken away the opportunity of the 'lady in a headscarf' seller to escape from  being forced into selling newspapers on the street - if only for a few hours, and you have aided and abetted a foreign gang to profit from from the weak and helpless.

Yes I think it's an unfair label for those Brexiteers. However I'm sure they will all accept that not many racists would have voted remain.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes I think it's an unfair label for those Brexiteers. However I'm sure they will all accept that not many racists would have voted remain.

Nail on the head . 

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

It's a joke to you because you are a Remainer and agree with the sentiments. It's an offensive post aimed at describing seventeen million citizens as being racist. 

Jeez, you really need a SOH transplant.

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I have seen the lady in a headscarf in question selling the Big Issue in both Norwich and Lowestoft........

13 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Read my post again. I didn't say anything. I was encouraged by hearing many others who did.

So, in your haste to make a point you missed mine. 

Doesn't really matter though. Can't imagine we'd agree on much with regards to politics but hopefully we can all get back to chatting about footie and agree on some of that! 

Lovely. 

On 25/10/2019 at 22:42, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not all Brexiteers are racist, but all racists are Brexiteers. 

I hate getting involved in Brexit-related arguments (hence why I never even read the late abrexit thread) but regardless of which side you're on, you can't really argue with that.

Not all Brexiteers are racist, but all racists are Brexiteers

I will argue with that.

I can find no evidence to prove or disprove the statement, on the balance of probability I would have to say it is false.

Now what is the poster actually trying to say when they post this statement?

Are they saying all the racists voted leave, no, no, no. They are saying that because ALL the racists voted leave, they as a remain voter cannot be racist. On the surface that`s quite clever isn`t it?  They are not really labeling others as racists they are saying "look at me, I`m not a racist, I voted leave so I cannot be a racist"

Now why would anyone, unasked and unprovoked, feel compelled to signal to everyone that they are not a racist?

Never felt the need myself,  why is it that some have to?

There is no evidence either way for the following statement, as there is not for the original, sit well with you does it?

Anyone that posts "Not all Brexiteers are racist, but all racists are Brexiteers" is not necessarily but probably a closet racist

Argue against it if you like but you cannot disprove it

8 minutes ago, Molly Windley said:

Not all Brexiteers are racist, but all racists are Brexiteers

I will argue with that.

I can find no evidence to prove or disprove the statement, on the balance of probability I would have to say it is false.

Now what is the poster actually trying to say when they post this statement?

Are they saying all the racists voted leave, no, no, no. They are saying that because ALL the racists voted leave, they as a remain voter cannot be racist. On the surface that`s quite clever isn`t it?  They are not really labeling others as racists they are saying "look at me, I`m not a racist, I voted leave so I cannot be a racist"

Now why would anyone, unasked and unprovoked, feel compelled to signal to everyone that they are not a racist?

Never felt the need myself,  why is it that some have to?

There is no evidence either way for the following statement, as there is not for the original, sit well with you does it?

Anyone that posts "Not all Brexiteers are racist, but all racists are Brexiteers" is not necessarily but probably a closet racist

Argue against it if you like but you cannot disprove it

It's a bit difficult to argue against a post that makes no sense whatsoever 

• Like 1