16 hours ago, Indy said:

comply with the PC requirements

5 hours ago, Indy said:

the PC equality thing to do

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

snowflake alert!

14 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

triggered. 

Running out of space on the bingo card again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I can't stand Alan Green-I always turn off the commentary if that miserable moaning git is on. That said, I wouldn't start a thread with the title "Northern Irish commentators on men's football" as I would expect that people would interpret it as an attack on Northern Irish commentators in general rather than one in particular.

And did anyone hear John Motson's final commentary on the radio in May 2018? Embarrassingly bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I’m totally with you about Pearce, utterly the worst commentator.

Ah but he's bl00dy brill on 'Robot Wars' though.....dead exciting!.....Oh yeah......

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

Ah but he's bl00dy brill on 'Robot Wars' though.....dead exciting!.....Oh yeah......

Actually right person for the right format! My point entirely but not very well put, also should have made the title, Arsenal game only, rather than my title! Live and learn.

6 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Ha ha. You missed

"Don't get me wrong"  😂

'I'm not racist/sexist but...'

• Haha 3

Surely it should be technically possible now to either choose commentary only, commentary + crowd or crowd only.

I know which one I would choose

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Surely it should be technically possible now to either choose commentary only, commentary + crowd or crowd only.

I know which one I would choose

How about female commentator or male commentator? 😉

18 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

And did anyone hear John Motson's final commentary on the radio in May 2018? Embarrassingly bad.

John Motson was a great commentator when I was a kid but he overstayed his welcome by at least a decade. The BBC kept using him well into his 70s because he was a 'national treasure', even though he was outdated. A little bit like keeping the family dog alive when its legs have gone and it keeps ****ting on the carpet.

On 25/10/2019 at 07:49, Indy said:

No my tittle backs my point, don’t just give the job to  Karen because it’s the PC equality thing to do! If she’s not good at commentary then that’s not her fault but the fault of BT.

And I agree on the likes of Owen and some other ex players being as bad with commentary, the days of quality commentary have gone it’s all about getting ex players in with their opinions. 

Commentating on sporting events is an art fast being lost.

Imagine your title with “women” and “men” replaced with “black” and “white”. That wouldn’t be acceptable. That’s why it’s not ok.

I have to say that I have stopped watching Goals on Sunday since Ben Shephard departed for family reasons. He worked well with Chris Kamara and the atmosphere of the programme has changed for the worse under the new format ; in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Imagine your title with “women” and “men” replaced with “black” and “white”. That wouldn’t be acceptable. That’s why it’s not ok.

You may be right but you could argue this everywhere. The amount of times I see articles on the bbc where I think "this would never have been acceptable if you replaced X with y" is incredible.

Take a non to serious example below

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/blogs-trending-48278772

It's actually about men talking at council meetings but like OP BBC were quite happy to run the headline "men talk too much" the same gender much more likely to hide their emotions, not open up and talk to people and ultimately take their lives. As with your reply this wouldn't have been acceptable if used with any other group so why was it here? 

You never quite see the uproar when it's in the other direction..

I'm just disappointed you people are assuming their gender.

Tut tut.

Edited by CDMullins

Well, as someone who has considered transition ( from attack to defence, and vice versa) , I am deeply offended by both sides of this discussion. I'm gonna throw a non binary hissy fit and throw my gender neutral toys out of my pram. So there.

On 25/10/2019 at 12:46, Indy said:

I’m totally with you about Pearce, utterly the worst commentator.

Not having that, he’s the second worst behind Glenn Hoddle.

That guy could send any person to sleep as his commentary is so dull and boring and more often than not makes absolutely no sense. I remember listening to an England match and he talked about the other back post, god knows what back post he meant as there is only one.

It does feel sometimes that some have been put in for the sake of being correct, I can’t listen to Alex Scott or Jacqui Oatley and definitely can’t listen to Sue Smith but others like Jordan Nobbs when it was the World Cup And Hope Solo from the US of A I thought were really good,made sense and didn’t just talk for the sake of it, oh and Bianca Westwood will always be fab for that Forest game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThorpeCanary said:

You may be right but you could argue this everywhere. The amount of times I see articles on the bbc where I think "this would never have been acceptable if you replaced X with y" is incredible.

Take a non to serious example below

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/blogs-trending-48278772

It's actually about men talking at council meetings but like OP BBC were quite happy to run the headline "men talk too much" the same gender much more likely to hide their emotions, not open up and talk to people and ultimately take their lives. As with your reply this wouldn't have been acceptable if used with any other group so why was it here? 

You never quite see the uproar when it's in the other direction..

Yes, but...

In general, and there are always exceptions, the point is to try and recognise prejudice which regularly disadvantages particular groups of people in society, and rebalance this bias so it is a level playing field for everyone. It's not noted in the same way when men are referred to as a group because they are generally favoured in our society and don't need the same efforts made on their behalf. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to improve all social imbalances, but let's sort the big ones first eh?

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Yes, but...

In general, and there are always exceptions, the point is to try and recognise prejudice which regularly disadvantages particular groups of people in society, and rebalance this bias so it is a level playing field for everyone. It's not noted in the same way when men are referred to as a group because they are generally favoured in our society and don't need the same efforts made on their behalf. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to improve all social imbalances, but let's sort the big ones first eh?

That’s just one area, how about fit for purpose, no matter what the gender, or race?

I don’t like this area of society which employs people for gender or race equality rather than best suited and qualified for that position! It’s positive discrimination which is as bad!

Anyhow my point was aimed at that particular game and unfortunately she was female, so my point is valid for that situation. Like I’ve said before in this thread wrongly worded title, apology for that but I was just highlighting that some people aren’t suited to certain jobs!

Just an opinion and I’ll just add to this the best boss I’ve ever worked for was female, brilliant and suitably qualified in engineering.

Why are people on this forum so sensitive about everything. 

If the man prefers his football with male commentators it's not a problem with him as a person.

1 minute ago, Renskay said:

If the man prefers his football with male commentators it's not a problem with him as a person.

To even acknowledge  that genders exist is an offence to some, so as modern humans  go, this board is fairly easy going. 

3 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Not having that, he’s the second worst behind Glenn Hoddle.

Hoddle isn’t a commentator, he’s a summariser which is just as well perhaps.

He does make some good observations but you get the feeling he doesn’t understand why most footballers aren’t as good as he was back in the day.

2 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Hoddle isn’t a commentator, he’s a summariser which is just as well perhaps.

He does make some good observations but you get the feeling he doesn’t understand why most footballers aren’t as good as he was back in the day.

Coincidentally , Glenn Hoddleis a big fan of what NCFC have done recently and of the way we play.

12 hours ago, Renskay said:

Who is the sensitive one, us or the person who is so upset by a female commentator that he feels the need to start a thread about it on here?

On 25/10/2019 at 16:09, king canary said:

'I'm not racist/sexist but...'

My best friends a woman...

We have a few female contributors on here that haven’t felt the need to get all angsty about this, I would imagine they have more important things in their lives than getting all upset because a few blokes aren’t that keen on female commentators.