Indy

Women commentators on men’s football.

Now don’t get me wrong some great female reporters, Kelly Cates, Gabby Logan, Laura Woods and Bianca Westwood to name a few, but watching Arsenal, i assume its Karren Carey commentating tonight but her and Alex Scott do my head in, just talking for the sake of talking making not much contribution to the game! Surely it should be about quality in the job and not just to make sure you comply with the PC requirements? Had to turn the volume off!

2019 and people still write this? Good grief . I do hope you never say this in front of my daughter who played for Arsenal under 17’s as well as ITFC. She is 5 ft 7 and I suspect you wouldn’t feel a thing....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

2019 and people still write this? Good grief . I do hope you never say this in front of my daughter who played for Arsenal under 17’s as well as ITFC. She is 5 ft 7 and I suspect you wouldn’t feel a thing....

Don’t get bent out of shape! I’m just saying to be a commentator you should be good at commenting, Karen was an outstanding player but absolutely rubbish and painful to listen too, I’m sure I’d be pretty rubbish at it too, just saying why let her do it?  There’s a few male commentators just as bad! 

To be fair the issue youre referring to isnt "women commentators" it's simply bad commentators. Of which there are men and women.

However, I do understand and partially agree that there is reason to believe positive discrimination has led to female commentators getting to commentate on big matches before theyve really proven themselves elsewhere.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To be fair the issue youre referring to isnt "women commentators" it's simply bad commentators. Of which there are men and women.

However, I do understand and partially agree that there is reason to believe positive discrimination has led to female commentators getting to commentate on big matches before theyve really proven themselves elsewhere.

Thank you, that’s my point, as I said there’s a lot of superbly talented lady pundits who are great on tv and commentary, but it’s hard to listen to poor commentators who ruin the pleasure of watching the game through just talking for the sake of it! The same for men too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Love it🙃

She’s my all time favourite commentator, love her, great voice too.

38 minutes ago, Indy said:

Thank you, that’s my point, as I said there’s a lot of superbly talented lady pundits who are great on tv and commentary, but it’s hard to listen to poor commentators who ruin the pleasure of watching the game through just talking for the sake of it! The same for men too.

That’s not your point though is it? The thread is called “women commentators on men’s football”, you made it about the commentators being women. If that’s not what you want to draw attention to, then call it “poor commentators on football”.

And please don’t use the word “lady” when you mean woman unless you always call men “gentlemen”.

Nuff said

P.S. That is my favourite piece of video from last season without question. Absolutely superb.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Indy said:

That’s not your point though is it? The thread is called “women commentators on men’s football”, you made it about the commentators being women. If that’s not what you want to draw attention to, then call it “poor commentators on football”.

And please don’t use the word “lady” when you mean woman unless you always call men “gentlemen”.

Nuff said

P.S. That is my favourite piece of video from last season without question. Absolutely superb.

Some absolutely awful male commentators....Clive Tyldesley being the absolute rock bottom. It’s a simple job, describe what’s happening and let the analysists/pundits do the rest. Tyldesley seems to go out of his way to be annoying as though he’s supposed to be stating the obvious all the time whilst throwing in a bit of his wishy washy, non commital (usually bo*****s) opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Lol wutt? 

I read this sort of stuff and then it becomes no surprise to me that Oxford University has banned clapping so people don't get triggered. 

Live it a little for god sake. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I bet your talented daughter has more sense than her old man and wouldn't consider an old fashioned and slightly backward comment to be worth an assault charge and a criminal conviction. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Now don’t get me wrong some great female reporters, Kelly Cates, Gabby Logan, Laura Woods and Bianca Westwood to name a few, but watching Arsenal, i assume its Karren Carey commentating tonight but her and Alex Scott do my head in, just talking for the sake of talking making not much contribution to the game! Surely it should be about quality in the job and not just to make sure you comply with the PC requirements? Had to turn the volume off!

There are plenty of awful male commentators and pundits. Michael Owen sends me to sleep and Mark Lawrenson just shrugs and grunts. 

Although that said, I do agree with your overall point. It can be expressed more eloquently perhaps by saying that you agree with equality of opportunity but not equality of outcome. 

By and large in football coverage the commentators are not ex-players, but they have the pundits who are.  Consequently the s-ex of the commentator is probably irrelevant. It's simply a matter of how good they are and there are many factors to this ranging from John Motson's Encyclopedia Britannica-style approach to Brian Moore's cool analytical and almost personal approach. Some appeal, some less so.

To widen the discussion to cricket I feel that it is a different matter. I'm no fan of the female commentator in the game thus far. The temperature under my collar has been known to rise on occasions and I have even once turned the sound down to avoid the 'screecher' recently employed by Channel Four.

Time moves on but I am saddened by Sky's decision to put the likes of Gower and Botham out to grass,especially as it has even been suggested that there is a degree of 'tokenism' in this move in order to slot a female into the role.

The one employed by Sky during the Ashes (name alludes me) wasn't so bad, but I often thought that she brought little more insight to the table than I could have done, and I play pub cricket. The humour was notably absent and it was largely superficial 'see and say' commentary. Maybe she'll get better. Andrew Strauss was awful when he first briefly took on the role, but eventually got less wooden.

The thing about the 'dinosaurs' like 'Beefy' and 'The Lord' is that they have been there and done it. How many Ashes series have they between them, for example? That wealth of experience is both vital and entertaining. This doesn't seem to work so well in football, but are we talking commentary or punditry here?

At the end of the day it's the audience appeal that matters in football or any sport. If the introduction of female commentators into men's sport helps increase viewer numbers then all is good, for the broadcasters and the sport.

If it's down to the personality then please Sky can we have Katherine Ryan on board for the up-coming NZ 20-20 series? She might not know a thing about cricket but she's funny and looks good into the bargain. Oops! Sexism has finally crept in ..... snowflake alert!

To counter-balance, I wouldn't mind Joe Brand commentating on the next England game. "That fcuking Gareth Southgate should have brought that sexy little James Maddison on by now," might be the sort of commentary that would enliven interest when needed.

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Nuff said

No my tittle backs my point, don’t just give the job to  Karen because it’s the PC equality thing to do! If she’s not good at commentary then that’s not her fault but the fault of BT.

And I agree on the likes of Owen and some other ex players being as bad with commentary, the days of quality commentary have gone it’s all about getting ex players in with their opinions. 

Commentating on sporting events is an art fast being lost.

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

If I don't like the commentators I hit the mute button.

I did but it’s dull watching the game in silence.

I think my point hasn’t been well made but I want the commentary to be that not ex players jumping in over the top with a totally pointless thought and a voice just not suited to it! It was like listening to Joe Pasquale!

40 minutes ago, Indy said:

I did but it’s dull watching the game in silence.

That doesn't happen me as my wife like to ask daft questions during the game. It's just like being in the River End. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

I do like Michelle Owen, she actually sounds like she knows what she’s talking about and talks like a fan. Jacqui Oatley shouting “ what a strike” does my head in though. Makes me smile when people get all sensitive about this and say it’s sexist, turn on sky sports news and try to convince me that most of those girls looks didn’t play a part in them getting the job.

I am torn about commentators. Obviously there is a major difference between Radio and TV.

For instance, Chris Goreham is biased towards us but I don't have a problem with that. I can identify with it. 

Then you have the technical ones.like Davies and Motson, countered by the ones like Pearce who like to colour the commentary a bit.

I am definitely with Zac on this one about Tyldesley. He brown tongues everyone and everything and tries to tell us what we should think.

To be honest, I just want to identify the players more than anything.

With regards to women, I don't agree they are any worse or better than men. Women have been going to football for years. Ask Lil. And their opinion is equally as valid as the majority is opinion.

So to me a commentator shouldn't offer opinion.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I do like Michelle Owen, she actually sounds like she knows what she’s talking about and talks like a fan. Jacqui Oatley shouting “ what a strike” does my head in though. Makes me smile when people get all sensitive about this and say it’s sexist, turn on sky sports news and try to convince me that most of those girls looks didn’t play a part in them getting the job.

Nobody has said it is sexist. People (me) have reacted to a post saying women shouldn't commentate on mens football.  The title is "Women commentators on men’s football" and Indy goes on to say he had to turn the sound off. That's all . The rest of the guff about sexism is irrelevant, and very tedious. The OP didn't mention what the "girls look like" - I think that bit has been added later. 

26 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

People (me) have reacted to a post saying women shouldn't commentate on mens football.

This has not been said.

As TVB said the OP could have made his point better and the thread title is misleading. I don't think the commentary was the best last night when Lacazette missed a shot simply saying "And that's why he hasn't been getting in the team" was clearly pure guesswork and incorrect as in actual fact he has been out injured for nearly 2 months. 

It has nothing to do with gender though, I've never liked Michael Owen as as a commentator and Troy Deeney had a bit of a nightmare on Soccer Saturday a few weeks back but then again like the Carney last night these people don't have the years and years of experience that the others do.

Least favourite has to be Jonathon Pearce though. Never forget his meltdown over goal line technology during the 2014 WC.

• Like 1

Nobody has said it is sexist. People (me) have reacted to a post saying women shouldn't commentate on mens football.  The title is "Women commentators on men’s football" and Indy goes on to say he had to turn the sound off. That's all . The rest of the guff about sexism is irrelevant, and very tedious. The OP didn't mention what the "girls look like" - I think that bit has been added later. 

That’s totally wrong, I’ve never said they shouldn’t commentate on men’s football I said that they shouldn’t be given the job just to please the equality brigade! Difference there is good commentary is key to watching the game on tv.

1 hour ago, ThorpeCanary said:

This has not been said.

As TVB said the OP could have made his point better and the thread title is misleading. I don't think the commentary was the best last night when Lacazette missed a shot simply saying "And that's why he hasn't been getting in the team" was clearly pure guesswork and incorrect as in actual fact he has been out injured for nearly 2 months. 

It has nothing to do with gender though, I've never liked Michael Owen as as a commentator and Troy Deeney had a bit of a nightmare on Soccer Saturday a few weeks back but then again like the Carney last night these people don't have the years and years of experience that the others do.

Least favourite has to be Jonathon Pearce though. Never forget his meltdown over goal line technology during the 2014 WC.

I’m totally with you about Pearce, utterly the worst commentator.

14 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Oh dear.