This is so sad and feels like losing one of your own family not just the football family we all love.

He once told me that he was only ever carried off once in his career and that was shoulder high. He also admitted he was not a good footballer but would stop anyone who was.

Sunday will be an emotional day for everyone that were fortunate enough to know the man or who saw him play.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2

Duncan Forbes captained the team, and the Club and the supporters. He was a true leader. He lived with a cruel illness for a long time but no one forgets the man he was. 

His pride in Norwich City was compelling. He once proudly asked me what I thought of the new Barclay Stand and he was obviously one of those people never given to uncertainty. 

He was called a hard player.  He was simply uncompromising and courageous. He was never sent off and I believe he never seriously injured a fellow professional. That is a proper hard player and comes from a nature which was essentially kind as he openly displayed once he retired from football.

He played with his head and his heart. He was one of my childhood icons. I hope he receives a fitting tribute this Sunday. 

Condolences to his family. 

Duncan Forbes, the man we grew up supporting, our hero, a man of steel and granite when football was uncompromising, gritty and played for the love of the game. We salute you Big Dunc; all the following years of success for Norwich City were built on your endeavours.  Our captain, our friend. Immortal.

Whenever I used to point out a player I thought was tough back when my dad used to take me, he would always laugh and say "he's no big dunc"

Never saw him play but clearly meant a lot to a lot of people. RIP.

• Like 1

RIP.  BIG Duncan Forbes. 

Just yesterday there was an piece on the tele saying footballers who head the ball too much are more likely to get Alzheimer's.

Legend, hope to here his song on sunday. great man, NCFC through and through. He once told me he had never been sent off, I have never checked the facts but for a hard tackler like he was, I thought he must have been.

RIP, he truly deserves a great send off on Sun

Really interesting insights and comments folks, I’m going to watch some old City footage on YouTube now. I kind of feel having read some of those comments that we’d be top of the league if he’d partnered Godfrey so far this season!

A boyhood hero of myself and surely very many city supporters who had the pleasure of watching him play. Big Dunc, a colossas who led the canaries onwards, and upwards. Fondly remembered and always will be, deepest condolences to Dunc’s family and friends. RIP big man, duty done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

I recall the Sunday Mirror quote “ if it moves he’ll kick it, if it doesn’t he’ll kick it to make it move... then kick it “

Definitely his catch phrase, he trained the youth team I played in - South Hill United (for free) and as a defender he said 'there are only 2 rules in defending: Rule 1 - if it moves kick it, Rule 2 - if it doesn't move kick it and if it then moves go back to Rule 1' 

A gentleman who gave his time to others, huge loss to the City and my heart goes out to his family and friends in this saddest of times. Pull your shorts up Dunc!

RIP big man.

I was brung up in the 70's in a house next to the stadium. 2 hours before the game a few Norwich players would walk to the ground from Thorpe, they would kick a football about with us kids and laugh and joke. Getting on for 40 years later (Watford game) my father in law was visiting and I managed to get a couple of posh seats. As I sat down I felt an elbow hit me in the ribs I look around and theres an old man sitting there. Bearing in mind I'm 6ft 5 and well built, I thought to myself this guys trying to pick a fight!!. Another elbow 5 seconds later and I asked him what he was playing at. He asked me if I recognised him and I said no. he said "I'm Duncan Foebes" I said "no way. Do you remember kicking the ball about on the bridge with the kids before the game?" he remembered everything. I spend the whole game talking to him and ignored my father in law.  One of the great privileges of my life.

Rest in peace my Hero

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So sad to hear this, Duncan was a fabulous servant to the club. I remember the day in 1986 he came with us in the minibus to our mate, and fellow NCFC supporter,  Kev´s funeral. Nothing too much trouble for him

RIP Dunc

I saw him play many times.

Although he was not what you would call a cultured footballer the man had passion, desire, belief and he led by example.

R.I.P big Dunc.

• Like 1

I have a 5 inch scar on my shin given to me by big Duncan, playing in a charity match at Dereham, my shin pads were poor defence from his flying studs. I grew up watching him and carry a mark for life from him. Rest in peace big man! 

This is how I will remember Big Dunc. I was there that day. What a miserable match  , but what a legend. A sad end to a wonderful sporting life. Closure for  the family. Rest in peace now. 

94F19B49-CB2E-4C68-A013-AE324CA03AF1.jpeg

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

I'll never forget one pundit's comment (Jimmy Greaves?) in response to John Bond bringing in Trevor Hockey to "strengthen" his defence and avoid relegation (DF please note.) 

"Now they have Trevor Hockey to play alongside the "dreaded" Duncan Forbes.That should do the trick."

"Dreaded" and tough, but never dirty.

Sad occasion for my first ever post .

My first Norwich hero . As a little boy I was lucky enough to sometimes go in the players lounge after games with my Dad . Dad was popular with the players as he worked for the then Norwich Brewery Company/Watneys and many of them had an eye on taking a pub when they retired , although I don’t think Dunc did . He’d always come over with a drink for me and say hello and ask me what I thought of the game . And as he approached he’d always roar “Duck , low flying haggis !” . Got me every time ! Wonderful man , great memories . Cheers Duncan Forbes . Bless your heart. RIP . 

Edited by Pockthorpe
Correction
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"Legend" gets bandied around far too much in football these days, but not in the case of his guy. Absolute colossus for us. Very sad, and I'll be very emotional Sunday, being a 'Barclay Boy' big Dunc was part of my youth.

As hard as rock on the pitch and as soft as putty in his treatment of people off it. Our club has lost one of its true legends and it was a privilege to have witnessed his commitment to it over many, many seasons. RIP, Big Dunc.

I wonder how many other clubs message boards have a thread for one of their departed legends containing so much personal content between said player and supporters? From receiving a 5’’ scar from Big Dunc, to kicking a ball with him on the streets before a game, and being regularly bought drinks by the man, to name but a few memories. Norwich City has clearly always been a family club, and you can see Duncan 100% epitomised and embodied that. It’s fantastic to read, and I feel I now have a much better understanding and appreciation of a past legend from before my time. Cheers folks 🏆 

• Like 3

A terribly sad loss. Big Dunc really was a captain, a leader and a legend.

One of my fondest memories is of the time, aged 14, when me and a friend had planned to go to an autograph signing session Duncan and Justin Fashanu were going to do at Keymarkets (now Morrisons) on Spixworth Road.

We decided to go to the Club Shop at Carrow Road to buy something for them to sign, but got our timings totally wrong. With 15 minutes before the signing was due to start we were still stuck at Carrow Road without a chance of getting back to Keymarkets in time. Then, to our great surprise, Duncan and Justin came out of the ground. They saw us looking at them and Duncan said: "alright lads?".  Although we were totally starstruck we somehow managed to explain our situation. "No problem lads, jump in the back" said Duncan opening the back door to their car. We just sat in the back open mouthed as our two heroes basically chauffered us to the signing session. I still remember to this day that they were discussing Joe Royle, who had just joined us. 

Duncan Forbes and Justin Fashanu were my two biggest heroes as a youngster supporting Norwich, both now sadly departed. 

• Like 3

Remember when Duncan used to bring the NCFC  lottery tickets to my shop, I would always have a cuppa coffee or tea ready for him and he always had a tale about his career Can't remember who the Manager was but one of Dunc's stories was that if him or Dave Stringer crossed the half-way line they would be fined a weeks wages. Lovely man lovely family.

1 hour ago, daly said:

Remember when Duncan used to bring the NCFC  lottery tickets to my shop, I would always have a cuppa coffee or tea ready for him and he always had a tale about his career Can't remember who the Manager was but one of Dunc's stories was that if him or Dave Stringer crossed the half-way line they would be fined a weeks wages. Lovely man lovely family.

Didn't realise they played under Hughton.......