Very sad news, a great servant of the club over many years.

R.I.P. Big Dunc

gone but never forgotten.

• Like 3

I would have loved to have watched him play, I've heard so much about him both on and off the pitch. Rest in peace, big man.

A Norwich City great, a great character and a real leader.

RIP Duncan.

'Keep your voice down to a roar'.

Edited by lappinitup
  • Like 1

Too young to have seen him play but I met him a couple of times when I was kid going to the open days at Carrow Road- always came across as a really nice guy. RIP Duncan.

RIP Duncan.

A true NCFC legend. I never got to see him play either, again, too young for that! But what stories!

Thoughts with the family.

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2019/october/duncan-forbes-1941-2019/

As with King Canary, I am too ‘young’ to have seen him play for us, but of course even us of the younger generation will appreciate he was a very special player for us. Any of the more ‘senior’ posters on here whom want to share any memories of him on the pitch at Carrow Rd etc?

Rest in peace, Duncan 

Kevin Keegan feared him as a defender above all others. That tells you a lot about how committed a defender he was. One of my heroes when I started in my first full season as a supporter.

RIP big man.

A true legend on and off the pitch. 

What a character. He used to be involved with a NCFC lottery when he finished playing and always had a word for us Paper Boys when delivering the tickets to the Newsagents where we were waiting for deliveries of the Evening News when it actually was an evening paper!!!

RIP Big Man

A man to admire. A player with limited ability but the desire and heart to play in the old 1st Division. Keep your voice down to a Roar. And a leader on pitch and loved by the fans.

One of those who truly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

• Like 2

A huge figure at the club ever since I started supporting them, right through his playing days and at the club later on. Norwich through and through and loved I'm sure by all of us who remember him from his playing days and those who knew him later on.

Don't know if this is appropriate today, but if you didn't know much about him, it's a great insight into his ability and character - 

RIP Big Dunc.

RIP Duncan, a true City legend...I am too young to have seen him play , but he's a legend all true supporters know about. May he rest in peace , my thoughts are with his family

Lol Morgan signed Big Dunc from Colchester at a time when Mid-table Div 2 (Champs) and a cup run was the best we did. By the time he hung up his boots we'd had 8 seasons's in the top flight and 2 Wembley cup finals. Duncan Forbes was a massive part of that success. I'd say the modern era would not have happened without him.

So many memories from those years but not just the football. He was a big part of the community around the club. When my son Duncan was a baby he used to say "hello Little Dunc, I'm big Dunc". On away trips he'd order a crocodile sandwich "and make it snappy".

He sadly spent the last years of his life stricken by alzheimer's. So sad and so unfair.

Duncan's wife Janette  came to our Still On The Ball group in the summer and shared some great memories and of course a few of those jokes. A Scotsman's favourite dessert? Tartan custard...

RIP Big Dunc and thanks for everything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

RIP Duncan.

Many on here will know of him by name only but he was a fantastic professional. Hard as nails and opposition managers used to joke that the club fed him on raw meat. 

I think I’m right in saying that he played at all bar one of the then 92 Football League clubs before he retired.

I recall the Sunday Mirror quote “ if it moves he’ll kick it, if it doesn’t he’ll kick it to make it move... then kick it “

A true true legend, RIP big man.

A minutes applause Sunday at 78 mins??

Preceded by a rousing chorus of:

'SIX FOOT TWO, EYES OF BLUE, DUNCAN FORBES IS AFTER YOU, NA NA NANA NANA NA NA!!!!!

24 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

A true true legend, RIP big man.

A minutes applause Sunday at 78 mins??

Preceded by a rousing chorus of:

'SIX FOOT TWO, EYES OF BLUE, DUNCAN FORBES IS AFTER YOU, NA NA NANA NANA NA NA!!!!!

Remember singing that on the terraces myself when watching the big fella play. A City great and legend. If ever I am asked to name the best City team out of all the players I have watched then Big Dunc was always on the team sheet. Old fashioned, no nonsense Centre Half. Let's hope the lads do him proud this weekend. RIP Big Duncan

"Club legend" is bandied around far too easily these days - Duncan Forbes rightly deserves this accolade. 

Once his playing days were over, he continued to work for the club, I vividly remember him organising the coaches at Carrow Road for Club Canary trips all around the country.  I worked for the club for a short time in my teenage years (1980s) in the player's tunnel and he always had time to speak to everyone, young or old, and always with the loudest Scottish voice.  I plan to re-read his chapter in Tales of the City tonight - choked me up first time I read it, I daresay it will again tonight.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/duncan-forbes-the-legendary-hard-man-who-made-norwich-city-history-1-5214543

"Keep your voice down to a roar!" up there. RIP Big Dunc.

Edited by Woodman

I always took my boys up to Trowse to watch city train. Duncan always had time to speak to them and other people. Duncan and Dave Stringer were always gentle giants on and off the pitch. Duncan r.i.p. big man you deserve all the accolades you get otbc

• Like 1

Many many years ago, when both my kids were knee high to a grasshopper, I took them to one of the club 'Open Days'.

There  - I believe in the City Stand - was a large black and white poster of Duncan scoring with a header in a 1-0 win over Swindon close to the end of one season when we went up to the top division - I'm sure someone can fill in the date!

So, I was telling the kids that I was there on that day, and it was Duncan Forbes who had scored. Little did I know he stood behind us and boomed out 'Yeah, that was me!'  Great stuff!

As many have said the word legend is thrown about very easily these days but Duncan IS a club legend. The fact so many star players of the day hated playing against him, showed what a rugged, no questions asked kind of defender he was.

Rest in peace Big Dunc

• Like 1