Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Team V Man U

Krul

Aarons   Amadou   Godfrey   Lewis

Tettey   Leitner

Buendia   Stiepermann   Cantwell

Pukki

Cantwell instead of Onel as I don’t think pace will hurt Man U early on with their pacy wing/full backs. Save him for the 60 minute mark when he can scare the s*** out of them. Leitner with Tettey was the combination that propelled us up the championship looking very comfortable in their respected roles. Tettey sits and breaks up play, Leitner creates and starts moves going all over the pitch. Stiepermann back for his aerial ability (plus I don’t think he’s done too much wrong). The rest pick themselves. Harsh on McLean who hasn’t done much wrong and I wouldn’t be disappointed to see him start. It can even be argued with the threat of James, Rashford etc McLean is an added necessity in there as he’s more defensive and better at breaking up play than Leitner. Do we go for it more as we’re at home and therefore go with Leitner (or Vrancic)  or continue to be a tad more cautious and shore ourselves up a bit (McLean/Trybull).

Thoughts..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Krul

Aarons   Amadou   Godfrey   Lewis

Tettey   Leitner

Buendia   Stiepermann   Cantwell

Pukki

Cantwell instead of Onel as I don’t think pace will hurt Man U early on with their pacy wing/full backs. Save him for the 60 minute mark when he can scare the s*** out of them. Leitner with Tettey was the combination that propelled us up the championship looking very comfortable in their respected roles. Tettey sits and breaks up play, Leitner creates and starts moves going all over the pitch. Stiepermann back for his aerial ability (plus I don’t think he’s done too much wrong). The rest pick themselves. Harsh on McLean who hasn’t done much wrong and I wouldn’t be disappointed to see him start. It can even be argued with the threat of James, Rashford etc McLean is an added necessity in there as he’s more defensive and better at breaking up play than Leitner. Do we go for it more as we’re at home and therefore go with Leitner (or Vrancic)  or continue to be a tad more cautious and shore ourselves up a bit (McLean/Trybull).

Thoughts..

Thoughts - I think I agree with your team.

I wasn’t convinced Hernandez would be able to step up to the PL but he seemed excellent while he was on the pitch at Bournemouth. As you say, probably better coming on later than starting at the moment.

I’m confused about Vrancic though. The last update I remember was that he was out for a while, but a few people on here have suggested picking him. What’s gorn on?

DF suggested Mario is nearly there but might need a couple of weeks - may be worth a spot on the bench but I don’t think he’d be ready to start yet.  It was an odd one, though - think he picked up a training knock pre-Man City but there certainly wasn’t any suggestion it’d be quite this long a lay-off.

As for the starting XI it’ll presumably be that or thereabouts - the good thing is that we are starting to have options, something we have missed for most of the season.  It’s just a shame we are still light in c/b and will be for some time; I’d love to see Amadou in a cdm role as think he’d make it his own.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Yep, got to agree with that lineup more or less. I'd possibly leave Stiepermann out as he really hasn't looked like offering much so far this season and I think a few weeks out of the first team will really push him to up his game; I'd maybe put McLean in there instead-but playing a little deeper to drop back and give an extra option for cover if needed. United are a fragile team whose confidence we can shake and give ourselves an advantage - The Mayor snapping at their heels will do a fine job of that, especially combined with Tettey bullying his way around behind him. Going to be optimistic, I think we'll win this. 🙂 

I agree with that team myself but wonder if we'll see Mclean in. He had a decent performance at Bournemouth, nothing special but more critically perhaps is the fact he won more aerial balls than anyone else, and that includes Amadou in defence. Suppose it depends how we think United will play..

• Like 2

I would be surprised to see anything other than the same team that started against Bournemouth.

I'm not sure Onel is fully fit yet, so making an impact from the bench might be the best way to utilize him.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I agree with that team myself but wonder if we'll see Mclean in. He had a decent performance at Bournemouth, nothing special but more critically perhaps is the fact he won more aerial balls than anyone else, and that includes Amadou in defence. Suppose it depends how we think United will play..

I agree with this, although I thought McLean was better than decent and certainly the more notable performer than Leitner on Saturday, he played some lovely splicing passes in behind and set us off on the attack several times. I’d go with the same team as the OP but McLean in for Leitner - effectively swapping Steipermann back in for Leitner. Also would not be disappointed to see Trybull and Tettey as our CMs with McLean in the more advanced role. 

I like the idea of Hernandez as a super sub given he is still getting up to speed, just hope Farke doesn’t hold off until as late as 75-80 mins to make a sub if the game is tight.

Feeling optimistic for this one, United are away in Serbia on Thursday evening - can’t be an easy trip for them to make before a game against the mighty yellows. That said, I do wonder if their counter attacking style - which has seen their best performances come against the stronger sides (Liverpool and Chelsea) - may also be suited to playing against our expansive possession based football (in a similar vein which sees us fare better against the ‘footballing’ sides). Anyway, hopefully their difficult game Thursday night negates any of that!

Id like to see a bit of pace from the start and I would also love to see Todd in at the number 10 role so for me if they are all match fit I would opt with:

Krul

Aarons Tettey Godfrey Lewis

Amadou McLean/Leitner (cant decide)

Buendia Cantwell Hernandez

Pukki

I think we need a bit more mobility in midfield so would opt for Amadou as DM and I think despite his height Tettey makes a good CB, all his best attributes tackling, positioning, easy distribution it just suits his game given his age and knees and I think its a good option. 

Krul

Aarons Amadou Godfrey Lewis

Tettey Leitner

Buendia McLean Cantwell

Pukki

Would like to see McLean in the 10 role. Technically better than Stieperman, good shot from distance and decent in the air. Hernandez on later, and Trybull to help shore things up if we're ahead.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Id like to see a bit of pace from the start and I would also love to see Todd in at the number 10 role so for me if they are all match fit I would opt with:

Krul

Aarons Tettey Godfrey Lewis

Amadou McLean/Leitner (cant decide)

Buendia Cantwell Hernandez

Pukki

I think we need a bit more mobility in midfield so would opt for Amadou as DM and I think despite his height Tettey makes a good CB, all his best attributes tackling, positioning, easy distribution it just suits his game given his age and knees and I think its a good option. 

I like this team but wouldn't have Tettey in at CB! Swap him with Amadou. Cantwell in the 10 is a good option I think. McLean instead of Leitner in midfield to try and win some of the aerial duels.

Also... OP... Hernandez on at 60 mins??! Nah... Farke never makes subs that early unless enforced! 😜

42 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Krul

Tettey Leitner

Buendia McLean Cantwell

Pukki

Would like to see McLean in the 10 role. Technically better than Stieperman, good shot from distance and decent in the air. Hernandez on later, and Trybull to help shore things up if we're ahead.

This one for me.

22 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I like this team but wouldn't have Tettey in at CB! Swap him with Amadou. Cantwell in the 10 is a good option I think. McLean instead of Leitner in midfield to try and win some of the aerial duels.

Also... OP... Hernandez on at 60 mins??! Nah... Farke never makes subs that early unless enforced! 😜

Bit of a mad one putting Tettey at CB I know I just thought he was an ox on Saturday and mobility wise might suit him better especially as United have a youthfull midfield. TBF I think we could play Tetts in goal and he would still give 110% and probably keep a clean sheet 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, vlad666 said:

When vrancic is fully fit I’d love to see him in steipermanns position. 

He was tried in that position a couple of times in his first season and I think he suffered from the same problem Leitner did against Bournemouth, in that he was often in the wrong position (often too close to Pukki) to make use of his range of passing, and he's not particular dynamic (although more dynamic than Leitner, and less than Stiepi).

It's the Mayor for me.  He'll fancy it against Man Utd.  He gets a crate of Buckfast for every win over a 'big team' - it's what makes him jump so high.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Orly said:

It's the Mayor for me.  He'll fancy it against Man Utd.  He gets a crate of Buckfast for every win over a 'big team' - it's what makes him jump so high.

The Mayor on a recent holiday...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Krul

Tettey Leitner

Buendia McLean Cantwell

Pukki

This one for me too. McLean hadn't been in great form of late but he did play well against Bournemouth. I also think Leitner looked more comfortable deeper so I'd put him back there and try McLean more advanced.

• Like 1

No return for Stiepermann. Assuming it will be Leitner in the advanced role? McLean certainly the most effective at interceptions and in the air